Note to New Members ×

Prior FLC vs Donek Freecarve 1

Mike Rauch

Hi all,

I'm new to Bomber on Line. Great site!

I recently broke the rear binding on my Rossi 165 Race X VAS, and this has inspired me to replace those Xbone bindings, as well as buy another board.

I've been riding the Rossi board for about 8 years now and this was my first true hardboot board. All of my boarding is at Sun Peaks near Kamloops BC. Not too much ice, good grooming, and pretty open terrain. I'm a pretty aggressive rider, carving hard on the blue runs. 5'-11", 165lbs, size 9.5 boot. Running 64degFront and 54degRear angles.

Research on this site has narrowed my decision to a Prior or Donek ride (although I'd consider a Kessler, Coiler, or F2 Silber Feil). I'm not so concerned with cost...I'd rather make sure I get a board that will ride great for years to come.

The Prior FLC Metal seems like a great board. Sean at Donek has a Fiberglass construction 175 Freecarve 1 with a blemish at a good price that I could pick up quickly and start riding. Following are my quesitons:

1. Should I spend the extra and get a new Prior or Donek with metal construction and variable sidecut radius, or should I consider a fiberglass board?

2. If I get a new board, should I go with the Prior or the Donek. Also, is the prior FLC a better choice than the WCR Metal.

3. Was thinking of a 173 length so it's versatile for tighter turns and longer GS.

4. What is the preference on bindings? Some say F2 bombers give more feel to the board. Others like the rigidity of the Catek's. I've been used to the FAST step in bindings and like the convenience. Shoudl I go Step in or Bail type? I'm thinking I might get a pair of bail type Cateks and a pair of Bail type F2's and then run them on each board to see what I like best, and put my prefered setup on the new board.

Thanks for the help.

Mike.

Welcome!

1. Should I spend the extra and get a new Prior or Donek with metal construction and variable sidecut radius, or should I consider a fiberglass board?

You said money wasn't an issue, so you may as well get the latest and greatest, right?

2. If I get a new board, should I go with the Prior or the Donek. Also, is the prior FLC a better choice than the WCR Metal.

Hard to go wrong with either Prior or Donek. Both top shelf in the $1000 price point. Coiler is another equal, but availability may be limited. You're "only" 4 hours from the Prior factory in Whistler, you could pick one up in person and ride it there. The FLC has a dual radius sidecut with a longer radius on the back half of the board. It will be able to ride a wider range of turn sizes than the WCRM, which is a traditional single radius. Donek has variable radius boards too.

3. Was thinking of a 173 length so it's versatile for tighter turns and longer GS.

This sounds like you want the FLC or the equivalent Donek. 12m isn't that long, so a 12-to-14m dual radius will allow you to draw out carves more.

4. What is the preference on bindings? Some say F2 bombers give more feel to the board. Others like the rigidity of the Catek's. I've been used to the FAST step in bindings and like the convenience. Shoudl I go Step in or Bail type? I'm thinking I might get a pair of bail type Cateks and a pair of Bail type F2's and then run them on each board to see what I like best, and put my prefered setup on the new board.

Heh, F2 definitely does NOT make Bomber bindings. Bombers are about as rigid as Cateks if you choose the hard Bomber e-ring. Using the medium or soft e-rings provides some nice cushion. Cateks are great bindings, but the state of the company seems to be uncertain. There have been reports here of unresponsiveness and loooong wait times for orders.

I think THIS is what you're looking for.

Well that is a personal preference issue. F2s are known to be flexier, but the soft Bomber e-rings get most of that flex back if that's what you want. Standard bindings can be sized a little looser to allow more side-to-side boot "roll", but I don't like that. I also love the convenience of step-ins.

I prefer the F2 standard and the Bomber TD3 Sidewinders. However my stance angles range from the high 40's to 55 depending on the board. I do not recommend F2's at higher than about a 55 degree stance angle; at higher angles I find them not responsive enough. I haven't tried the Sidewinders at high angles, but I bet I would prefer a regular TD3 at high angles.

I haven't ridden any Doneks as of late, but I just bought a new 187 FLC after riding a Rossi WC190 all last season.

What an eye opener. You are definitly going to want a vsr board, as the ability to do anything you want turn-wise with them is unlike anything you could replicate on the rossi. The dampness of the ride, the way you can make the board throw you off the tail, it all combines for a ridiculously fun ride that will blow your mind.

Thanks Jim,

That's awesome. I'll probably make a decision in the next couple of days. How do you like the 187 length. I was thinking of a 173, but have heard others saying they can rip a pretty tight arc even on the longer boards. Sun Peaks is a pretty open mountian with moderate to light crowds, so I'd like to make sure the board I get can do some decent GS carves in addition to tighter arcs.

I'm getting a little older though, and GS speeds can hurt more than they used to when you get it wrong...

How do you like your Catek's. I was thinking of getting the bomber TD3 step ins for one of my boards and Catek's for the other...just so I can play around and see what I like best.

Also, polling the crowd on what Prior FLC artwork is most popular. I seriously like the racey look of the Green. Check out the topsheets below...

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_flc.php

How do you like your Catek's. I was thinking of getting the bomber TD3 step ins for one of my boards and Catek's for the other...just so I can play around and see what I like best.

Buyer beware: Catek customer service has been pretty awful lately and a lot of people have had trouble getting their orders fulfilled. they have promised to step up their game (and perhaps they have), but I'd be very, very cautious dealing with Catek.

Thanks Jim,

That's awesome. I'll probably make a decision in the next couple of days. How do you like the 187 length. I was thinking of a 173, but have heard others saying they can rip a pretty tight arc even on the longer boards. Sun Peaks is a pretty open mountian with moderate to light crowds, so I'd like to make sure the board I get can do some decent GS carves in addition to tighter arcs.

I'm getting a little older though, and GS speeds can hurt more than they used to when you get it wrong...

Also, polling the crowd on what Prior FLC artwork is most popular. I seriously like the racey look of the Green. Check out the topsheets below...

Jim and I have different preferences on board length. ;)

I ride a short tapered VSR board (162 and a 168) and find it can make big arcs at high speed much better than older school shapes. Jim rides longer boards and finds they can make tighter turns when pushed much better than older school shapes. You are probably pretty solid at a 173.

Read some of the recent Catek customer service threads. Unless it is absolutely your favorite binding, I would not mess with Cateks at this point. Try a TD3 and a Sidewinder or an F2 Race Titanium if you want to test bindings for personal preference. There is a lot of difference in ride characteristics between those bindings.

Prior metals have had some issues with binding insert thread depth. There is a recent thread in it. Make sure they check it closely before it leaves the factory for adequate depth.

The green I just got on my Prior is incredible! And it is glossy. The photo cannot do it justice. It is the one on the left.

post-2671-141842330648_thumb.jpg

Looks like I need toupdate my profile. I no longer ride cateks, and have switched to td3 sidewinders, which is crazy considering they are complete opposites.

I gave tds a try when I was first learning how to ride in hardboots, andi never really gave them another try until the session last year. I got on a set of sidewinders, and was a first totally weirded out as to the movement they allowed. Once I adjusted to them after a run, they were able to provide so much more fun, both in how mich they allowed me to push the board, and how much they allowed it to give back. From what I hear they aren't good at high angles (65*+) but I have no firsthand experience as I ride them at 57* or below.

As for board length, I say if you have the space, go long. 180ish is a great length for letting it run and for making some tight turns as well. It is amazing sometime what the 187 will do in a tight space.

Maybe I will see you on the mountain. Let me know when you are heading up and we can mount your bindings to my 179 4WD and you can take it for a rip.

I would love to try out a FLC:1luvu:

edit: If you go to the Prior factory and take the tour, you will get an additional 10% off of retail and no shipping. I did this last March and got an in-stock board for just over $700. I like the green topsheet out of all the FLC graphics, but they will put any topsheet on any board if you just ask. No extra charge for topsheets that are in stock.

I love the black tusk and red salmon heads, but you need a wide board to get the full image. My friend just got a MFR with the autumn maple leafs and it looks really nice too.

Thanks Dan. I'll take a look on the classifieds. Would like to get some of the newer geometry though. I've use "ship happens" lots for shipping to Sumas...a great service. I agree, would be goot to hook up on the mountain some time. Normally up every other weekend. Will be up the 14th and 28th...we'll see what I'll be riding...

I am not a fan of Ship Happens, they will give your stuff to anyone as long as you tell them a name. Package Express makes you show ID and you can setup others to pickup your stuff online. Not on the list, you don't get it.

I have a 17-day old daughter keeping us busy so far, but let me know and we can hook up. I will be the guy in the yellow pants going very fast and then sliding on his back for 50m trying to slow down:eek:

I have a 2011 173W FLC in the white/clear. It's actually white/black (no longer has the transparent logo). It's a mat finish (website says glossy). The mat finish looks awesome and is definitely more durable then the glossy finish I had on my 2010 FLC which was also white/clear.

Thanks Jim,

I've ridden the 183 PGS model (designed by hardbooter.com) which is pretty close to the FLC that Chris is making now. The Green topsheet is awesome, a total assult to the eyes, but looks amazing on the slopes.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a fair bit of research I ended up buying two boards. Bought a 175 Freecarve 1 that Sean had a good deal on with a small top sheet blemish and found a 2010/11 185 Sigi full race in the usasa classifieds. That SG is SEXY! :1luvu: Just finished setting up each with td3 step in bindings. Can't wait to try it all out this weekend. All this came about when I broke that rear FAST binding on that old Rossi 165 board..shucks...must be karma...

Will post after the weekend.

By the way td3s I bought through Prior came with one 6 deg cant and one 3 degree. Is that normal? Running the front at 3 deg straight toe lift and rear with 6 deg cant rotated for 1.5 deg outward tilt. Angles are 60/55. does that seem like a good start? Also, sg board has lots of setback, but mounted both boards in the standard middle mounts (approximate 20" stance)

By the way td3s I bought through Prior came with one 6 deg cant and one 3 degree. Is that normal? Running the front at 3 deg straight toe lift and rear with 6 deg cant rotated for 1.5 deg outward tilt. Angles are 60/55. does that seem like a good start? Also, sg board has lots of setback, but mounted both boards in the standard middle mounts (approximate 20" stance)

You are setup almost exactly like me. 3 degree toe lift and a 6 degree heel lift is pretty common, but people also use 3/3 and 6/6. I really noticed a difference with the 6 heel lift. Much easier to bend my back knee and get really low.

Angles are easy. Just do what Jack recommends and avoid both overhang and underhang.

A 20" stance width is pretty wide. A lot of people are in the 18-19.5".

If you have long legs and it does not feel awkward then you are fine. You will know after an hour!

Dan, sorry I missed you up there...too busy riding or parenting...

Short update on the boards:

Rode the Donek freecarve 1 Sat morning on soft pack at -2 degC on the Morrisey side. Setup felt too far fwd at the default stance and setback...forgot to bring an Allen key to adjust though, so just rode til around 11:00. Back leg was pretty fried from fighting to get more wait on the tail.

Then I took the SG 185 out in the afternoon on the Sundance chair. Conditions had warmed to above freezing, and that side of the mountain was actually pretty awesome. That board rocks. Default setback is 60mm and it all felt much more balanced. 3 runs in, and the board and I were finding the groove. Good thing the SunPeaks is not too busy. Getting to know the board was like riding an untrained race horse. There were times I was so committed to a carve, I had trouble unlocking it. Good news was, after 3-4 runs I had it about 90% figured out and had the best afternoon ever. The board is very predictable (once the honeymoon...or shall we say the wedding...was over). It blasts through the crud powerfully and with authority. You need speed and to ride very aggressively...go too slow and you'll look like it's your first time on a board. The board is also VERY finely built. Fit and finish is definitely top shelf.

Day two had me back on the Donek to figure out the setup. After I dropped off my 5 and 6 year olds at their first day of ski race training with the SunPeaks Alpine club, it was off to the Sundance chair armed with an Allen key this time. Had already moved the front binding back 3/4 inch,and then moved both back about another inch half way down the run. I did not take measurements, but I'd estimate a 19" stance and about 35mm setback on top of the default. What a difference that made. Only had time for three runs total. Very nice ride. Board definitely feels softer and more forgiving when not in a carve...easier to ride if you want to do more moderate carving. Nice and nimble for cross under or cross through type turns. This board requires a little less real-estate. At 175cm it should. Does not seem to hold the edge as solidly as the SG, and one would not expect it to. Also, it does not hammer through the crud as well...got launched a couple of times at high speed.

Sure is fun to have two great boards with different personalities.

One additional note. Before heading out, I stopped in and picked up a neck brace at a local medical supply store. One of those soft ones you velcro in the back. Fits under the jacket collar, so it's not really noticed. Good thing too...I can just imagine the chairlift talk "look at the guy with the neck brace ridin that hardboot board like a mad man - moron!" That extra support softens the whiplash on the high speed crashes. I always tell people if you don't bite it at least a couple of times in a day, your not pushing your limits. Hurts more as you get older though :freak3: