Note to New Members ×

Can I Stop Fintecs from freezing?

Keenan

Do any of you Fintec users have suggestions on how to stop the heel from icing up? It seems like if my boot gets warm, in the car or lodge, my heel ends up with a block of ice stuck on the bottom. Today I fell down the stairs in the lodge wearing my instructor's uniform and then I couldn't get into my bindings. I do not wish to continue these actions.

Also had this happen to me with a set of Intecs last week. This is not specific to Fin-Tecs. Usually try to scrap off the ice and hard snow when I first click into the bindings in the AM or after a coffee break in the lodge. The best scraper device I have found is the heel receiver on the bindings or the rear bail if I am riding non-step-ins. I usually complete another scrape after the boots have "cooled-off" after one run or so. One other thing worth noting is that my front toe pads (stock Raichle or Deeluxe) do the same thing.

No real magical fix other that just make sure you are super careful walking in snow with warm boots (especially stairs!) and scrape good before you attempt to click in.

I have always had good luck with 'Lubriplate General Purpose Food Grade Silicone Lubricant' in the 9.5oz. spray can.

I use liberally on my boots (with Intecs) to keep the friction between the boot pieces to a minimum. It also helps Intec engagement, water resistance & snow and ice from sticking to boot & heel.

I also spray bindings as a lubrication for heels and bails and the topsheet to try to keep snow from sticking and building up on it.

I started a thread on this a while ago.... With the boots warm I drop hot wax onto the heel and scrape off the excess. Not very good for carpet carving, though.

On warmish days I was having trouble with the heel bale groove of my UPZs filling with snow which turns to ice which then keeps me from closing the toe lever. I scuffed the groove well with a scouring pad and then wax it as well.

edit: add link http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27777

I have the same problem Keenan-- I could be wrong but with the old Intecs of plastic and more rubber -- there was less freezing to the surface than the colder to feel Aluminum.. I just pound the heckl out of the heel on the Step in Steel Guide when riding .. and when walking I am in walk mode in my 325s and walk very cautiously...

BTW - how you doing down there? it was good to ride with you last year at Crystal

I have always had good luck with 'Lubriplate General Purpose Food Grade Silicone Lubricant' in the 9.5oz. spray can.

I use liberally on my boots (with Intecs) to keep the friction between the boot pieces to a minimum. It also helps Intec engagement, water resistance & snow and ice from sticking to boot & heel.

I also spray bindings as a lubrication for heels and bails and the topsheet to try to keep snow from sticking and building up on it.

Where do you find that product?

Today I duct taped my heels and it worked pretty well but the tape was shredded by the end of day. I plan to buy a jar of Plasti-dip this weekend and dip the heels, I'll let you know how it works. Maybe the 2nd generation will have a ceramic coating?

BTW - how you doing down there? it was good to ride with you last year at Crystal

I'm doing great down here, thanks for asking Al. Maybe you can make it down for the NOES this year?

Today I duct taped my heels and it worked pretty well but the tape was shredded by the end of day. I plan to buy a jar of Plasti-dip this weekend and dip the heels, I'll let you know how it works. Maybe the 2nd generation will have a ceramic coating?

I'm doing great down here, thanks for asking Al. Maybe you can make it down for the NOES this year?

Duct tape --- Hmmm... I think I have some adhesive backed Teflon tape -- I could try that.... dont ask me how they get the adhesive to stick to the teflon..:confused:

Love to come to Oregon and meet ... what dates are you guys thinkin ?

Duct tape --- Hmmm... I think I have some adhesive backed Teflon tape -- I could try that.... dont ask me how they get the adhesive to stick to the teflon..:confused:

Love to come to Oregon and meet ... what dates are you guys thinkin ?

They blackmail it with pics of it's mom in the shower.

Wouldn't lubing your boots cause some slippage walking through the lodge? sounds like you'd have to apply it right before walking onto the snow and hope it wears off by the end of your day. am i wrong?

CRC also makes food grade silicone along with all kinds of industrial lubricants etc. Just a thought, but dont you knock the crap off your boots and swipe the crud off your bindings before you jump on to your board? I mean, how often you running inside to be warm? Once I'm into my gear, it pretty much aclimates to conditions and I might have to scrape a little crud off while Im waiting around to catch the next chair. no big deal compared to soft booters.

Over the weekend I applied 4 coats of spray on Plasti-dip. It takes more coats with the spray but much easier than dipping and hanging boots. It works, I didn't slip on the wet tiles in the men's room and my heels did not cake with ice nearly as badly. Due to the odor of the product and our recent cold snap the boots were sprayed in the garage and then brought into the house to dry. The coating is wearing thin after one day of use, I will reapply more coats this weekend and allow for more dry time to see if the product sticks longer. I did mask off the boots and the retractable pins and tried them in TD3 step ins and Sidewinders.

I was also informed by a snowboard instructor today that forward facing stances are now referred to as "the disease".

That's a great sign. Kids have been describing desirable things are "sick" for years and years. They're finally catching on to the glory of the forward stance. Finally! Can big-name squaretails be far behind?

Seriously though... I scrape my toes and heels against the ears of the intec receiver. Sometimes it takes a couple tries, but it works.