Note to New Members ×

The MES 2011

trent

thought i'd get a rough idea of who's coming. here's who i know, and if you're written down, you better be there! we can get you a note if needed. doctor, dentist, docter, or carving den mother (guess who'd that be, and don't make me pull this van over you little chits!). :D

bobble

powell1.8

jessie

scuff

scott.creer

michelle.girlfriend.creer

futahaguro

thebionicman

bobd

joed

callmejack

bob beck

bonzo

I will be there also. I don't think that I have met too many people on the list yet. I should be able to get there by 10:00 or so.

Eric

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cdm here, safety speech time.

hopefully there will be a lot more carvers than you're used to on the hill wednesday. i know most of you know this, but in the excitement of the day, sometimes we forget. let’s all give each other some room. there’s plenty of runs, and plenty of time for everyone to get their carves in. no reason to crowd one another, and definitely no passing next to someone else. :eek:

look uphill before starting down and before switching runs. hey you! the one playing slalom with the lift towers! that’s switching runs, and you should make sure it’s clear before you do so. i’ve seen lots of near misses, and even one crash that occurred during this kind of maneuver. :freak3:

if you’re wondering what you should be doing while giving your fellow carvers their space, here are some suggestions: watch in awe as some serious trenches are dug; cheer for your fellow carvers enjoying their playtime; when someone crashes, and we saw and captured some great ones last year, yell “do it again!” (if they’re unhurt, of course). :biggthump

and now a word from our technology department. it’s a pretty new development, but some super duper smart people have figured out how to make zoom lenses for cameras! i, know, cool right!? so, you no longer need to get close to the camera for a great shot. in fact, if you get too close, there won’t be a shot. maybe your jacket, or lift ticket, but that won’t impress anyone. 30 feet is plenty close to any of the cameras.

so, have fun and be respectful of everyone else trying to do the same!

oh, and don’t miss lunchtime…. more on that later.

-trent

They are calling for some sunny skies so it's looking good! I will have a super-secret plate setup on a super-secret board that I can't wait to try! It will leave all of you speachless!:ices_ange

I will be there until my legs no longer function! I got a Drift HD POV cam which I tested stuck to my helmet over the weekend while walking the dog:) I got some amusing comments but I just told them I like to stay safe at ALL times. I also have a Mini-DV that I will be bringing also for the more technical shots. And on top of that I got a new phone that I threw a GPS tracking APP on to see what kind of speeds and vert we do over the day! Holy tech Batman! I just hope I don't do a fantastic wipeout while using all of them at the same time:biggthump

WOOT!

and now a word from our technology department. it’s a pretty new development, but some super duper smart people have figured out how to make zoom lenses for cameras! i, know, cool right!? so, you no longer need to get close to the camera for a great shot. in fact, if you get too close, there won’t be a shot. maybe your jacket, or lift ticket, but that won’t impress anyone. 30 feet is plenty close to any of the cameras.

-trent

Trent, do you still have the "dude, I've got a zoom you know" clip?

let’s all give each other some room.

I totally agree Trent - Safety first!

Nobody likes getting taken-out from behind.

Head's up and minds sharp will make for a fun event.

I will have a super-secret plate setup on a super-secret board that I can't wait to try!

Whoa - Fun tech toys!! Cool - I can't wait!

here are the ingredients for one reason not to miss lunch. but only if you eat all your veggies first. ;)

IMG_7699.JPG

although if you have a nut allergy, you won't like what i cooked up.

speaking of cooking...

mmm, smells good!

IMG_7705.JPG

could use a bit more butter.

IMG_7708.JPG

-trent

here are the ingredients for one reason not to miss lunch. but only if you eat all your veggies first. ;)

although if you have a nut allergy, you won't like what i cooked up.

speaking of cooking...

mmm, smells good!

could use a bit more butter.

-trent

LOL! Dude, those are some great pics. :lol:

let's eat around 12:30. upstairs level in the main chalet (same place as usual). group photo after lunch by chair 2.

for people not familiar with afton - chair 2 is some of afton's steeper runs. if you want more mellow terrain, while still riding chair 2, there are a couple options: heidi's playground (skiers far left off chair 2), is a blue run that has a top steep section, and then mellows out for the bottom 2/3; or straight off the lift will take you down a green run that merges with the bottom of heidi's, skipping the steep section; and belinda's bowl (skiers far right off chair 2) is a nice bowl. just stay away from the moguls on the left side of the bowl.

if you have any questions, just wait at the bottom of chair 2 and ask the next carver you see.

here's their map: http://aftonalps.com/map.php

click on what kinds of runs you want to see.

i was out this morning, and conditions were great. visibility sucked.... at least until there were some trenches on the hill. i could see much better after a few runs! chair 2 was good, some soft spots here and there. chair 7 was excellent. super smooth. that's all i had time to check out. snow guns were blowing on chair 3, by the moguls. hoping for the same conditions tomorrow, with more sun!

-trent

@mr. t - i knew you'd like it. don't you remember helping pick it out? you got the matching lavender one. heh. bring business cards. fillings will be pulled out and cavities made. chewy, sugary goodness. :biggthump

thanks to everyone that was able to come out and play today! i think we had 23 people! :biggthump

glad i could convince tom, scott, bob, and greg to stay late and play in the lights. bob and i made it until 8:15, and the legs gave out.

my adult beverage(s) were all the better in a cool glass. thanks to dave for the great design. :biggthump :biggthump

-trent

thanks to everyone that was able to come out and play today! i think we had 23 people! :biggthump

glad i could convince tom, scott, bob, and greg to stay late and play in the lights. bob and i made it until 8:15, and the legs gave out.

my adult beverage(s) were all the better in a cool glass. thanks to dave for the great design. :biggthump :biggthump

-trent

Thanks to trent and everyone for an excellent session. Of course, after I left the sun came out and there was major schwaggage. If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

I'm sure conditions improved in the PM. According to my altimeter I topped 7,000 feet in less than 3 hours. If that rate were extrapolated to 8:15PM, you would have done some mountain vertical.

Thanks for organizing the event and giving out some SWAG Trent! Those glasses are awesome!

I have some ok footage from my helmet cam that I will try to edit soon and post for all to see. It is a little bumpy but the chase footage is pretty cool. I am actually happier with my DSLR pictures that I took of Trent, Bob, and Scott! You other yo-ho's had already run off to the highlands before I could snap some pics! Some of them came out very well and I think the respective riders will be happy with them:) Trent wins for having the most serious I'm-gonna-kill-this-hill look on his face:biggthump.

To the guy that had the GoPro, was it John (I'm terrible with names), can you post or send me the footage of your chase cam of me eating it? I can't wait to see that one!

Do anyone elses lateral neck muscles hurt? I think it is the weight of the helmet:)