Note to New Members ×

Extreme carving vs carving

griff

As soon as i have change to get more milage on it, but due i need to test them both with and without plate it might not happen very fast.

But first few runs on asy without plate felt pretty good :ices_ange

was mostly interested in what's most noticeable from the get go.

So what you are saying is that Parnassos (including fterolaka) and kaimak does not have steep slopes? Makes me think, have you even been to these places?

According to you alpine snowboarding is only about EC? Someone who rides hard boots should only ride in steep slopes?

Me and my "G-force buddies" have been several times to Aspen for the SES and the Carving-Masters in Soelden since it started. Have you ever been to any of these places???

I see that i get the best out of people

Giati tsatistikes re Alexi mia erotisi ekana!

Why get mad Alex?,i just asked a question!

And why the sarcasm?

First of all i never said that alpine snowboarding is only about EC this is my 16th season hardbooting (another 6 skiing)and only in the last 2 i (am trying to) discovered EC!

As you mentioned the extreme carving technique needs steeper slopes and i couldn't agree with you more but i find that those mountains i referred are not steep enough (except maybe kremasi at kaimak but is almost never open mostly do to weather conditions!)

And i wondered why do you prefer them compared to Aristoteles at 3-5 pigadia where i usually go and find to be the best groomed widest and steep enough for EC!

(GREEK)>Den ksero an exeis paei sta pigadia ta 2 teleftea xronia alla den exei kamia sxesi me to pos itan prin,o aristotelis ,apo tote pou ton stronoun me axira apo kato kai piran ta kainourgia ratrak pou ton kanoun aerodromio kai me tin texniti xionosi egine apisteftos gia ksaples,oute bamps oute tipota,kai to leo ego pou to evriza sinexia palia giati itan apo tis pio akataliles pistes gia alpinesnowboard!

Alex den se ironeftika apla anarotithika giati mazeveste(o thanasis kai oi alloi esena den se ksero )sto kolovouni to Kaimak.

Makari na se petixo kamia fora sto vouno na kanoume ride together apo tis photo fenese super ECarver!

KALI XRONIA!

So if your basic stance is shoulders are facing the front of the board in a standard carving position (square to the front of the board) the additional rotation is it safe to say another 30 degrees (more or less) at the start of the turn? That would go for both heel and toe side..Here is my confusion: I was taught your shoulders should be in line with your hips and both are square to your bindings not to the front of the board...or as I am learning it just doesn't mater either can work if you develp the feel for the carve.

So the Norm part 2 isn't correct technique or is there something I'm not seeing?

There are carvers who ride that way but it is probably time for a rewrite of that part. BlueB described the more modern technique. Especially for wider boards and lower angles.

EC involves quite a bit of rotation just prior to initiating the turns, esp. counter intuitive when doing the back side.

I'm not starting some flaming of any sort here, just different ways of skinning the cat. Just posting the links since you asked the difference.

Here's some links copied and paste off the EC site.

RIDING TECHNIQUE

Extremecarving (=EC) training : http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1005

Race technique, counter-rotation, rotation, push-pull, extremecarving (=EC) technique as defined in this Web site

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3556

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3489

push pull : http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3333

stance : http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1895

Weight, flex & performance : http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413

Backside vs Heel side : http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2766

Icy conditions : http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667

Race technique http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2420

Responsibilities when carving : http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1387

There has been some feed back on board selection for EC. So far the general thought is technique plays more into it than equipment. Coiler has gotten most of the attention for boards...My question is if one was going to put down the cash on a new ride and the riders style is side to side laying down as deep as a carve the run/condictions will allow (also 98% of riding is here in the New England area) is a board like the Sword, G-Force, Pure Board (Bastard), F2 best bang for the $ than a Coiler or Donek. My goal is really to get feed back from those that have gone through this process since demos are hard to find. However I am looking forward to the Beast demos of Pure Board.

Griff, I am a fellow east coaster and from what I can read from your posts, I strive for the same answers/ride as you. I have been riding for about 4 years now and I am hooked. All I want to do is lay out the full EC form and am searching for the equipment to help. Thus my quiver now sits at 6. My go to board is a coiler vsr that I got bv to make for me last year. Great for all round riding and all conditions. But i wanted more. I had watched all the videos on EC and read that sword was the board for this. So I picked one up used this year. I can tell you it is a different feel to any board I have. It is really stable when it gets high up on edge, thus good for EC. BUT, you have to have it up to speed and it works best for me on a steeper slope hill. Anything blue on The east coast you will not really see the true workings of this board. I went to the steepest hill at my resort in NY and rode the sword and was able to have the best edge hold I have had on that slope ever last week. I was in my mind EC'ing fully laid out, body on the snow. Cant wait to get it out to the big hills at SES and compare it against my trusted coiler. :1luvu:

Agree, ECgasm happens in the wide, long and steep! Most Ontario resort don't have the slopes for that (makes it hard to train for smooth transitions when in 2-3 turns you're at the end of the steep section!) and the Swoard shines at 90 degree.

There has been some feed back on board selection for EC. So far the general thought is technique plays more into it than equipment. Coiler has gotten most of the attention for boards...My question is if one was going to put down the cash on a new ride and the riders style is side to side laying down as deep as a carve the run/condictions will allow (also 98% of riding is here in the New England area) is a board like the Sword, G-Force, Pure Board (Bastard), F2 best bang for the $ than a Coiler or Donek. My goal is really to get feed back from those that have gone through this process since demos are hard to find. However I am looking forward to the Beast demos of Pure Board.

Here is my point of view as a company owner/rider. The companies that you have mentioned (Swoard, G-force, Pureboarding, F2) design and produce boards according to how they think that a board should work based on their riding experience. These boards are part of a small production (compare to the total snowboard production) and thus are considered semi-custom boards. When someone decides to run a production of boards he has to make a lot of compromises as to who is riding it (level, weight, strength), where he is riding it (snow conditions, etc.). Based on my experience it is impossible to produce a board that will fulfill 100% of the riders therefore by trying to increase the percentage and widen up your market you tend to make more compromises.

Manufacturers like Donek, Coiler etc. can give you the oportunity to have a board made exactly for you not to mention using your own graphics. Discussing with them your level, weight etc. will give them a prety good idea what the board should be in terms of flex, length, width and sidecut radious. The only downside is that you have to wait for the board to be made.

At the end of the day however the board is not going to make someone a rider. It is only the tool. The most important is to get the technique down and then fine tune it with the board that is going to work for you!!!!

Alexis, good points.

I would also add that although custom board give you the exact board for your specification, you also run the risk it might not turn out to be exactly what you want/need for your program the first time around. In my case, Bruce was very helpful but had to rebuilt the boards and the third board is amazing...2 years wait, fortunately I had the swoard to ride (and still ride).

Swoard worked great for me on steep pitch, doing what it's designed to do. I couldn't ride it well using different techniques. I found it VERY sensitive to weight distribution.

I also liked it on very mild slopes, doing quick pumped cross-unders.

I hated it on medium pitches.

It really boils down to what/where you wanted to do and how versatile you need it...

I found it VERY sensitive to weight distribution.

Are you riding a firmer model?

With hero snow from the West Coast, a firmer model is generally preferred, whereas we pour East coast ice riders, the softer model is preferred. Same goes for the customs boards that have soft noses. I think Bruce has templates depending where you live:rolleyes:

If I remember correct, the one I had on loan was 168H, the correct model for my weight. Mind you, I use much stiffer boots then most ECers would like, so I might be that I was able to put more force into the board.

We ride very varriable conditions here at coastal mountains. Whole of last week was close to your booletproof...

If I remember correct, the one I had on loan was 168H, the correct model for my weight. Mind you, I use much stiffer boots then most ECers would like, so I might be that I was able to put more force into the board.

So we ruled out the board. Another possibility is that the Swoard (like my current VSR) is soft in the nose and does not tolerate too much pressure up front, esp. in soft condition. I learned the hard way last year on perfectly groom snow at 0C, doing a nice front flip under the chairs:eek:

I'm not technical enough to discuss of the why, but wonder your dislike on moderate slope is from the width of the board, it works well for me there but I tend to push pull a lot and wider GS turns.