Note to New Members ×

Chill Leg, Wave!

trent

ventured out for some riding this morning. rode with bobble, bionicman, powell1.8 for the morning. we saw tons of carvers out! most of them partaking in the races at Chill Leg Wave. the old guys looked to be giving the little rippers a run for their money. i'll let the old farts comment on who was in the money, but holy crap was there some talent in the gates! :biggthump everyone, young and not-so-young was making it look too easy. nice work y'all!

the morning was nice as we didn't have to wait for either lift lines, or space to go down the hill. although all of us were feeling a little scared with the speed at which we were reaching by the bottom of the hills. grooming was pretty good, and the snow was super hard, super fast!

we convinced bionic that the only way to get his $40 worth was to check out the back bowl. sucker. he ended up off the trail, completing his first forward flip. :eek: one run was enough of that for all of us. glad you're ok! :biggthump

jon-jon was good, lookout was a lot better after lunch when the sun was on it, bakki was scary fast the 2 or 3 times we went down it, and dan's was ok after the races were done, but a lot of ruts to absorb or fly off of. it did get too crowded around 2 or so. had to wait for openings to go down the runs. plus my legs were cashed. as bobble and i left, there were 3 full school buses unloading. we definitely left at the right time.

-trent

the morning was nice as we didn't have to wait for either lift lines, or space to go down the hill. although all of us were feeling a little scared with the speed at which we were reaching by the bottom of the hills. grooming was pretty good, and the snow was super hard, super fast!

i was humbled today. buck has spoiled me.

Great turnout for the OOhSahSah races Sat and Sunday.

Snow was very good, some of the best race conditions on the Dive that I've seen in years.

The sun was out Sunday as well, which made it a lot easier to see the conditions on "Duds" which unfortunately took the life of a custom metal board the day before.

Glad it was the board that broke, and not the young rider.

I really don't know what's going on with grooming on that run..Wondering if the 1/4 pipe thing going on in the middle of the run should be labeled as a "Feature."

No kidding - The 16 and under crew is really stepping it up - some even posting times faster than the older...

..well.. more experienced (age 30 and up) riders.

Beyond the 20+ team hardbooters, there were even some adult racers that came out to throw down.

Nate, Fred, Futahaguro (Eric), Jason and Scott all came out and laid down some great runs!

Jim J. was ripping up Slalom on his 181 (Because that was the shortest board he owns..:biggthump )

Was a fun surprise to see Erick, Trent, and Bobble.

I'd guess that these additional riders pushed the daily total of hardbooters on the hill on Sun to over thirty.

It got really crowded, so I left a little after 2..

Oh, and met a new guy - Randy - was out freecarving. Told Randy about, Bomber, and invited him out to our expression session.

Pretty excited to see a new face -

"NEW GUY! - HEY NEW GUY!"

Hope I didn't freak him out... too much.

I didn't know what this post was about because I don't know the names of any runs on any of the hills:) It's always better to sacrifice a board rather than the appendages of a person.

I was happy I held my own on one of the two runs since I am new to the whole hardboot thing. The second run I was attacking a little more, skidded out, and didn't bother to go back to the gate:rolleyes:. I know I will hit the Boardercross @ Hyland and maybe the GS @ Buck and if I go to Giants Ridge I will hit all of the events since I will be all of the way up there.

Fun stuff.

powell1.8 and i rode from 10 - 1 today. much, much slower than on sunday! the snow was really soft today. but the grooming was good. we had a great time on lookout and dan's dive. dud's already has moguls on it, which was really dissappointing, especially since those 1/4 pipe walls that were there this weekend are no gone and groomed. jon jon was good too. powell1.8 was carving the bottom 1/2 fakie most runs. :biggthump

we took a few runs down bakki, and one down chicken. they were good, but getting back to the new chair wasn't too fun. it's a shame they built the base of the lift up a hill. makes it more effort than i'm willing to give to get back to the chair from some excellent runs.

@futahaguro - this post title is an anagram for the ride log of where we all were last weekend. we'll fill you in why later, it's a long story, best for a chairlift ride.

-trent

attended the 9am mass with reverend bobble this morning. holy crap are his sermons long! 3 hours. i saw no sleeper in the pews while the good reverend was preaching the good word. lots of necks craning to make sure they caught every syllable of his speech. :biggthump

we rode with matt a little but the reverend was unable to faith heal a sore leg, so matt switched to soft boots. also met a guy named chad.

lookout, dans, duds, and jon jon were excellent. the light wasn't. lines started getting long around 11:30. sermon ended at noon, so we headed home. the reverend is having afternoon mass at a roller rink in burnsville.

-trent

attended the 9am mass with reverend bobble this morning. holy crap are his sermons long! 3 hours. i saw no sleeper in the pews while the good reverend was preaching the good word. lots of necks craning to make sure they caught every syllable of his speech. :biggthump

we rode with matt a little but the reverend was unable to faith heal a sore leg, so matt switched to soft boots. also met a guy named chad.

lookout, dans, duds, and jon jon were excellent. the light wasn't. lines started getting long around 11:30. sermon ended at noon, so we headed home. the reverend is having afternoon mass at a roller rink in burnsville.

-trent

a reading from the book of Donek:

'blessed are those whose glove need not touch thine snow, for theirs is the kingdom of speed and glorious acceleration.'

i take comfort in that message. CAN YOU DIG IT!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OYKd8SVrI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OYKd8SVrI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

joe d. -- WTF!!! Winter Park??? no novena is going to save your soul. you're going to hell. sorry, but those are the rules.

got there early. sunny skies! first on the chair. had lookout almost to myself for 3 runs. snow was excellent. grippy. on skiers left they set up a training course. started to get busy. greg showed up around 9:30 am. hung out there till about 10 am. at some point the snow started to turn... started hitting ice balls.

went to dans. first who were my best runs there but it was short lived. got busy. it was a big hindrance.

headed over to dykes. the run was okay but when we got to the bottom the lift line was huge. got to the top. went to check out jon jon. a big mistake. we headed over there. we got to the flat part... looked up at jon jon and there was another race course set up. got to the bottom and the lift line was uber long. hiked over to lookout chair. it was one big long circle from dykes to jon jons to lookout. my front thigh was burning from skating the board.

did bakke. starting in the middle is a mistake. i don't know what it was. followed greg to the top of bakke. snow was better. was able to carve fairly decent. did couple runs. maybe 5-6. bakke got busy. the top started to turn to crap. hard to carve on ice balls.

followed greg down chicken. uck me. i side slipped the last pitch.

went back to lookout. the sun was shining almost from top to bottom. some parts were a challenge; ice balls, little kids, and others. greg liked skiers right. i went over to other side where they had the race course (it was gone). still some cord over there. the run was crowded. the main chair had a long line. went to the bakke chair where it was relatively short.

finally gave up around 12:30 pm when the bakke line turned into a crowd. all the chairs had long lines. we're spoiled.

all in all... it was great carving.

(@greg... think about this when helmet shopping! probably not safe for work)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vsB-oxHMRw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vsB-oxHMRw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

powell1.8, joe d., and i played this morning. it was cold and fast! we started on lookout, having the run to ourselves. getting too aggressive in a carve would sometimes end in chatter. speed control was also an issue today. definitely going faster than i wanted on some of those first runs. could feel that it was solid ice a few inches below the surface.

went over and tried dan's dive for a few runs. snow was looser on top, still ice underneath. it was a chatter-fest for me our first run down. did a few more runs, but took it much less aggressively. we met up with matt for a while, but a hard fall had him switching to softies.

took a couple on jon jon too. much of the same. solid ice under questionable carvability snow. we were all cold, so went in to warm up.

round two was much more of the same, although i was bullied by joe to get on the slalom stick. the short board certainly didn't make riding the conditions easier! we tried all the same runs again, and conditions hadn't improved any. i chattered out of 3 toesides on one run down lookout. powell1.8 asked if that run hurt. i told him, it just hurt my ego. later he called me a chicken because i didn't want to try bakki. they were both picking on me all day! if it wasn't verbal abuse, it was mental. powell1.8 and joe were killing it on the ice! some fine riding y'all were doing boys! :biggthump

powell1.8 lasted until 1. joe and i made it until 2. it started getting busier after 12, and lookout was crowded once they turned on the new lift. our last run down was snowcone over ice. all the courd was gone. it was definitely time to leave.

-trent

powell1.8 and i rode yesterday. flat light most of the time. lookout was good, a few trouble spots in the middle. dan's dive was snowcone with ice underneath, i never felt great on that run (powell1.8 ripped it up though). bakki was good, hard to control speed though - hard snowcone. jon jon was great. powell1.8 was doing his fakie thing on the bottom, launching fakie, and spinning back in the air. :biggthump did it right in front of one kid who was sitting by his launch pad. that kid, as well as everyone in the lift line, were in awe!

sun popped out for 3 runs down lookout at about 3pm. we both had amazing runs. then the sun dissappeared again. i tried to talk him into staying for the lights, but he had to go to work. i made it until 6:30, then my legs quit on me. but holy crap was it a different game under the lights. :1luvu: i stayed on lookout and jon jon and had some of the best runs of the day. it's amazing how different it is when you can see definition on the snow. i need to ride more at night!

another bonus of staying.... ran into an old friend in the chalet. we talked a bit, and let's just say there's a good chance of a carving cup at "chill leg wave" in the future. ;) nice to have another on our side down there. :biggthump

-trent

lookout was excellent today! sunshine from 10 - 11:30. flat light until after lunch. then it was blue skies and sunshine! :biggthump we took maybe 6 runs not on lookout today. the other runs were soft, hard, or a combo of the two. at least they had lookout right. i stayed until the sun was behind the hill and the light was flat. after the great light all day, i was really having a hard time getting down the hill on my feet (but it was easy sliding down on my arse).

-trent

bobble, joe d., powell1.8, and i played all day today. lots of smiles from both us, and the chairlift! :biggthump bobble had some freeride snowboarders woo-hooing from the chair as he went down lookout. all the runs were in decent shape. it was getting scraped down to ice in spots, and very loose granular in other spots by the time we left.... at 3:45! lift lines didn't get too crazy, so we stayed until the last 2 runs were bad - a little because we were tired, a lot because the light was super flat and couldn't see anything.

bobble and i also met dan in the afternoon. welcome to the club!

-trent

today is a day of days! started out with flat light, then the sun poked through the overcast and shined through out most of the day. towards the end the sun disappeared. went in for lunch. joe regaled us with his command of the urban dictionary. went back out after board change for more carving hijinx. greg and joe left around 1 pm. trent and i continued till about 3:30 pm.

i had a blast.

The Hight Lights

• Look Out: we spent the majority of our time on lookout. it was fast and grippy. at the bottom it was softer. it was excellent early morning. light was bad but the trenches provided better definition for us to see. amazing how that works. for about an hour it was ours. i liked skiers left and the middle. trent said there was a patch of ice on skiers right -- you could see it from the chair. a few skiers at first but then it got busy and went to other runs. eventually came back. it was still good. around noon i had my best runs of the year. i was laughing towards the chairlift line -- it felt great! we all saw mildred from buck. she seemed to be enjoying herself and waved a friendly hello boys from the chair. towards the end of the day there was ice exposed on the top portion. not fun. towards the bottom the snow was churned. i had a blow out. hell, even trent fell down.
  • Bakke: the first run i didn't like. the others were carving it. trent gave me a hard time about it -- always expected and aways appreciated. its just that i tend to wig out when i see ice marbles. they were predominantly at the top. my following runs were better. was digging it. joe had a real close call with a skier. the last run of the day was down bakke. the light was really bad. i just sketched. you couldn't see the bottom transition. trent went for it.
  • Chicken: watched joe carve down chicken from the chairlift line. amazing! he had a severe case of perma grin. i tried chicken. i gave up when i hit ice.
  • Dykes Run:. hardly worth mentioning. joe and greg, be thankful. it was really bad. the lift line was horrible. when you went down dykes and got to where it opened up it turned into a low speed carve tactical training course. harleys hallow was more like Hogan's Alley. OMG! way too many skiers and snowboaders!!! kept popping up in front of us.
  • Jon Jon: i forget. i think we did two runs and then left. not sure why. might've been the crowds.
  • Dud's Dream: remember only doing this run once. good snow.
  • Dan's Dive: when we first got there, a guy had a professional video camera on skiers left midway down. we thought he was video taping skiers for a clinic. regardless, we felt compelled to perform in front of the camera. dan's started out good. got bumpy after awhile. later on there was ice at the top. the middle was choppy.

anyhow... good times.

Supa-Fupa

oh yes! hilarity on the fupa lift! all four of us pushed forward to the boarding line. this snowboarder behind us was not paying attention and pushed forward beyond the point of no return. people were yelling "GET BACK!!!" and "STOPPPPP!!!". whoops, too late. the chair swung around and scooped him up. his board was dragging. the lifty tried to pull the chair. somehow he collides into greg and pushes him down. the guy falls forward too. his board rides over greg's board. he then tries to get up and ends up scraping greg's board. trent had the presense of mind to push forward to get out of the way. not sure where joe went. the chair nailed me but i manage to sit on it. joe ended up riding the chair with the snowboarder. the guy apologized to joe.

Why We Do What We Do

this skier rode up with trent and me. he said he was curious about the equipment and asked if he could ride up to ask questions. we get settled on the chair.

"so... what's the question?" i ask the skier.

the skier says with amazement "i've been watching you guys, you really get low!!!!."

"... its the only way to get laid." i respond.

Waste

was going down lookout. make 2-3 turns at the top and then i go down hard on a toe-side. i slid down the hill. the snow flew into my goggles. i heared this strange noise -- it sounded like something flapping. in that moment i thought the top sheet had ripped off or delammed. when i stopped i find the bottom of a soda can under my edge.

:AR15firin someone felt that it was important to have a delicious refreshment and toss the can out on the run for me to pick up after them.

Shock and Awe

i carved down dan's dive. got to the bottom. i stop in front of these boarders who were looking up hill. one says "how is that even possible?". i look uphill to where they were looking and there's greg making tight turns on dan's. the coup de gras was at the bottom pitch when he switches to ride fakie. the boarders just stared at our boards.

Cool Videos

off topic... but videos as discussed. the smoking teeth

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnQ-T7oiA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnQ-T7oiA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

for you trent

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

yes, today was super nice. blue skies and sun all day. great snow. even convinced the boys to stay a while and ride in the lights. best visibility of the day, but holy crap did it get cold!

more love than haters today. a trio of women, who commented on our riding last week or weekend were out again today. more pointing and more compliments about how they enjoy watching us on the hill. the lifty who said she wished she could just watch us come down the hill. and finally, parents of a former us ski team member & olympian stopping us twice to talk about our gear / sport. :biggthump good vibes today.

-trent

yes, today was super nice. blue skies and sun all day. great snow. even convinced the boys to stay a while and ride in the lights. best visibility of the day, but holy crap did it get cold!

more love than haters today. a trio of women, who commented on our riding last week or weekend were out again today. more pointing and more compliments about how they enjoy watching us on the hill. the lifty who said she wished she could just watch us come down the hill. and finally, parents of a former us ski team member & olympian stopping us twice to talk about our gear / sport. :biggthump good vibes today.

-trent

trent - how late did you stay after we left?

planned on 2 more runs... turned into more like 10! :biggthump i wasn't too cold, and on a run that was to be the last... i chattered a little. no effin way was i leaving on that run. next 3 were great, and on the last one my legs had nothing left at the bottom. last run was at 7:45, wish my legs could've closed the place.

holy crap, just watched the smoking teeth. that's some bad stuff there.

planned on 2 more runs... turned into more like 10! :biggthump i wasn't too cold, and on a run that was to be the last... i chattered a little. no effin way was i leaving on that run. next 3 were great, and on the last one my legs had nothing left at the bottom. last run was at 7:45, wish my legs could've closed the place.

holy crap, just watched the smoking teeth. that's some bad stuff there.

we all wish we had your stamina. the cold got to me. i was stiff in the back and neck. that run down dan's when the gates were set up did me in.

• 2 weeks later...

perfection! blue skies, nobody there, and exceptional grooming. not a ridge, nor a seam to be found. lookout was amazing! :biggthump :biggthump i even went to the office at lunch to compliment the groomers.

dan's dive rocked too, as did bakki and chicken. although with the snow this hard, bakki and chicken resulted in some major speed! only able to make pencil lines in the snow today.

if you can, get out and ride!

-trent