Note to New Members ×

MADD's are here........

Shaggy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those wondering what the hype is on MADD the answer is simple once you ride it on eastern ice I seriously doubt you will find a more respondsive board. I have a 161 SL LE that I rode for almost 8 years ! I got it used and it still had plenty of life left.

I have owned in excess of 15 boards and none of them rode as clean, and responsive as the MADD. I currently ride Prior 165 and 175 WC which I like the best of what is available til now!

John's comments are right on, soft snow is not Madd's world, it rides well but so do others. Maybe the bx will fill this void for MADD. but if you want the ice authority Madd is it hands down. I have had the pleasure of riding many differant boards in the 12 years I have been carving and I get goose bumps just thinking about the ruts I will leave in ice when I can get back on a Madd.

170 is the perfect length for all around riding with bomber's on them ....................heaven.

YOU CARVE.......YOU CARVE .........YOU CARVE .............

EVEN IF IT IS ICY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Originally posted by CarvCanada

When you guys say ice are you reffering to actual ice like boiler plate that is not even white, or do you mean really hardpacked granular powder? I've never ridden on real ice except for maybe, a couple of Saturdays in the early season.

Interesting question, I'm also looking forward to the answer. For me, there's two types of ice:

1) Very, very, very hard packed man made granular, white colour, hard like ice, easy to loose an edge like ice.

2) What we call boiler plate, yellowish in colour sometimes, would be easier to go down with skates, unable to even set an edge on it.

BTW, ice is what I have the most problems with. I'm slowly starting to get comfortable on steeps.

As with most things in life it's all relative, the kind we get in NH is mostly very, very veryveryveryvery hard packed snowmaking snow / ice that is skier packed or scrubbed off, and looks blue like a glacier. ski poles bounce off unless they are carbide tipped.

Most all eastern ski areas experiance it on the most heavily traveled trails. Then there is the stuff that happens after a freezing rain on top of the previous described conditions and those days are meant for the pub.!!

The very packed snow that is white but very hard makes the best carving since you actually do not make serious ruts that can hang up you toes or most often heel out an edge on. and not so soft you bury your nose. I often call it styrofoam snow since your edge holds like velcro with a razor sharp board, properly set up, and riden properly.

probablly the most important point after sharpening is weighting of the edge thru the turn such that you are fluid and follow the direction of the carve, no weight shift front to back mid carve.

the old Burton PJ 's rode that way in order to keep the edge on the snow.

Now back to the relative part, ........after spending 15 years out west.......way out in fact Pacific NW most native Cascade or Rocky Mtn skiers really don't know ice. An experiance I had in Washington after a Chinook rain the 15 ft of snow we had on the ground had a 3 inch crust that was very firm. None of the locals wanted to ski / tele on a clear sunny day cause it was ICY !!!

The three of us from the east ( VT ) went out and danced on it all day and were in heaven !!

my motto is if its white under neath you can't ask for more everything else is a gift !!

You carve, you carve, you carve, you carve, you carve, you carve,

even if it's icy .....................no slide !!!!!!!!!!!