Note to New Members ×

Boot fitter sticky?

Mr.E

Hey guys-

Any thoughts on a boot fitter sticky or sub forum?

I'm on the hunt for a fitter in the NW (preferably Oregon) and Mike T suggested Randall Barna at Footform in Bend. I'd love to hear other options and actually see some sort of regional listing. It seems to take a lot of asking around to get any reasonable options, and this stuff is important enough to try to find one fitter to establish a relationship with.

So- hit me with your Oregon/ WA fitters, and let's get a list going of people in other locations.

It varies from person to person, so names would be helpful too.

I had a very good footbed session with one Surefoot Aspen employee, then he had to go and I got punted to someone else for the liner molding. Luckily I had done it myself before as he disappeared right after handing me the hot liners. He and the other employees did have a pretty epic snowball fight outside while I was getting the liners and my feet in the boots. After it was all done he suggested I bring him a case of beer in return for his awesome help.

I'll ditto that as well - I've heard good things about Surefoot locations near mountains (copper, particularly) but I've learned to to "run, not walk" away from Surefoot in Manhattan. That said, any ski/snowboard shop/bootfitter this far from the mountains seems likely to be pretty marginal for sure.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that you guys have not had great experiences with surefoot. (except Copper:)... that was my store for the past 10 years.) I had always tried to provide the best service possible.

I am no longer with Surefoot, although I do help them out when they need and I am glad to help try to resolve any issues with them. To always ensure that you will be looked after properly, make sure you see the manager or assistant manager. Make an appointment if possible. Most of these guys have been doing it for years and have access to the most tools and resources available anywhere in the boot-fitting world.

As for the NYC shop, there is a new manager in there now. He has moved from Colorado where he had been running a store for about 10 years. His name is Tyler and he is a good friend of mine. I can assure you that he is more then qualified and would be happy to help you out! (especially if you tell him I sent you in).

Too add to the list to give some people some more options

Seth @ precision ski in frisco Colorado

Mosh @ foot foundation in Aspen Colorado

Both of these guys are great as well....

If Mike T sent you there, you don't really need other opinions, IMO.

In Tahoe (all of Norcal IMO): Elite Feet at the Resort at Squaw Creek. They stock Head boots and do great work. Only other place I send people is Starthaus in Truckee, but they don't sell hard snowboard boots and Elite Feet does - and I like to support anyone who stocks our gear.

As for the NYC shop, there is a new manager in there now. He has moved from Colorado where he had been running a store for about 10 years. His name is Tyler and he is a good friend of mine.

Thanks for this update - Admittedly, I went there (twice) awhile ago and after my second experience there I swore never to return—so if things have improved I wouldn't have known. Glad to know that they have put someone new in charge of the Surefoot here.

I'll ditto that as well - I've heard good things about Surefoot locations near mountains (copper, particularly) but I've learned to to "run, not walk" away from Surefoot in Manhattan. That said, any ski/snowboard shop/bootfitter this far from the mountains seems likely to be pretty marginal for sure.

They advertise in Aspen all the time for help...no experience required..

No offense Loo, but SF can be really hit or miss. I had my old pair of boots fitted and footbeds made there years ago at the shop in Squaw when they first opened. Guy named Brooks helped me. He was great.

My kids have footbeds from Surefoot also. The kid deal is the only decently priced thing they have. Pay once for footbeds and they'll remake them every year until their feet stop growing. Also includes some basic bootfitting with the new boots. I've bought boots from them for the kids, as well as elsewhere. So all tolled, I have spent upwards of $1000 at SureFoot Squaw Valley (probably closer to $1500).

Last week I went to the Squaw shop for help with my daughter's snowboard boots. It wasn't crowded in the shop but there was only one guy there. I was basically told "we don't work on snowboard boots but if you want to leave them overnight we'll see what we can do". I ski and snowboard. I'm used to skiers mocking snowboarders. But doing it to paying customers is NOT acceptable. It was the first time I'd gotten a bad attitude from a Surefoot employee at that shop, but I really wanted to punch him. I solved the problem by yanking out the SF footbeds. My son's foot will stop growing very soon. I'll go back once more to have his next set of footbeds made in his next boots, then I'll probably not go there again.

I'm a ski and snowboard instructor at the ski area next door to Squaw. In the past I've suggested to clients that SF is a good place if they need custom liners/footbeds and can afford to pay high retail prices. That won't happen again. There are at least 3 other places I can send my clients where I know they'll be treated right and not get attitude from punk-a$$ 20-somethings who treat clients poorly. If you know the Squaw manager, feel free to tell him that whoever was working solo the morning after Thanksgiving really needs a lesson in customer service and attitude. He screwed things up for someone who has been a customer of theirs since the Squaw shop first opened.

Sorry SureFoot, but kids and snowboarders count too.

There are at least 3 other places I can send my clients where I know they'll be treated right

Lets put more effort into hearing about the good guys!

I can walk into any ski town in the world and find a bad boot fitter- let's keep the focus on the great ones!

No offense Loo, but SF can be really hit or miss. I had my old pair of boots fitted and footbeds made there years ago at the shop in Squaw when they first opened. Guy named Brooks helped me. He was great.

My kids have footbeds from Surefoot also. The kid deal is the only decently priced thing they have. Pay once for footbeds and they'll remake them every year until their feet stop growing. Also includes some basic bootfitting with the new boots. I've bought boots from them for the kids, as well as elsewhere. So all tolled, I have spent upwards of $1000 at SureFoot Squaw Valley (probably closer to $1500).

Last week I went to the Squaw shop for help with my daughter's snowboard boots. It wasn't crowded in the shop but there was only one guy there. I was basically told "we don't work on snowboard boots but if you want to leave them overnight we'll see what we can do". I ski and snowboard. I'm used to skiers mocking snowboarders. But doing it to paying customers is NOT acceptable. It was the first time I'd gotten a bad attitude from a Surefoot employee at that shop, but I really wanted to punch him. I solved the problem by yanking out the SF footbeds. My son's foot will stop growing very soon. I'll go back once more to have his next set of footbeds made in his next boots, then I'll probably not go there again.

I'm a ski and snowboard instructor at the ski area next door to Squaw. In the past I've suggested to clients that SF is a good place if they need custom liners/footbeds and can afford to pay high retail prices. That won't happen again. There are at least 3 other places I can send my clients where I know they'll be treated right and not get attitude from punk-a$$ 20-somethings who treat clients poorly. If you know the Squaw manager, feel free to tell him that whoever was working solo the morning after Thanksgiving really needs a lesson in customer service and attitude. He screwed things up for someone who has been a customer of theirs since the Squaw shop first opened.

Sorry SureFoot, but kids and snowboarders count too.

No Offense taken... I have retired and it was not my store that you had a problem with. :) (I hope nobody had an issue at my shop)

I am very sorry to hear this... I am also a skier/snowboarder who is married to one of the top alpine snowboarders in the world and I would have never met her if Surefoot did not fit snowboarders.... Besides her, I have fit loads of snowboarders during my nearly 15 years with surefoot. So this is very odd. I don't know what was going on that day in Squaw, but they should have been able to help you out or at least provide some friendly information.

Since I am no longer with them, The one thing I can tell you (and anyone with an issue) is to please Contact the corporate office and let them know. They want to make sure that things are right and unless they know about problems, there is nothing that they can do.

sarah@surefoot.com

or

435-655-8110 ext 102

Its a shame that a few bad apples in Surefoot seem to be ruining the bunch. They do have the best product out there and a significant number of worldcup snowboarders are on the Surefoot liner and orthotic who swear by it.

Lets put more effort into hearing about the good guys!

I can walk into any ski town in the world and find a bad boot fitter- let's keep the focus on the great ones!

I agree.... Surefoot is a Company with many boot-fitters. This is why I always suggest to work with the managers.

We should be suggesting the PEOPLE that you like here. I know that there are people out there with good experiences with Surefoot boot-fitters cause I have delt with hundred of you and nobody has complained to me about my store (or others that I am familiar with) and they all come back, so if we are going to talk Surefoot here, suggest the the specific people and products that you like.

I am glad to hear it all, but Surefoot's corporate office is the one who really needs to hear it.

OK. I already covered this. But here are the places I'd go in Tahoe.

#1 - by far #1. Elite Feet at Squaw Creek Resort. They stock Head hard boots. What more do you need to know? A place you can go in and try on the boots and be sure that these guys know their stuff and will guarantee the fit. Personnel don't change from year to year (same three guys at this shop for the past 4 seasons and 2 of them for 7+ years).

#2 - Starthaus. Don't stock hard boots but these guys are good. Plus it is the number one place in tahoe to have a board tuned. All tuning done by hand. Amazing tunes. I routinely see racers carving boards in there, not to mention all the Tahoe area ski racers.

#3 - There's a guy named Kosmo at a place called Footwerks. But you have to make an appointment. He does a great job on ski boots. Don't know anyone who has had snowboard boots fitted by him.