Note to New Members ×

Afton Log 2010-11

Scott.Creer

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out this morning for opening and stayed for about 2 hours. Easy 2 was nice before they set the course up on it. 1 was pretty good too. I went exploring a bit after a few runs. 7 was not great, the grooming was pretty bad. I made it over to chair 13 before my feet got cold and I decided to head back to chair 2.

I had a really hard time today setting in the edge. I would chatter out on my edges, both heel and toeside at high speed. Don't know if it was the groomers or me (most likely the latter).

I will be back out tomorrow night. Planning on getting there around 3, setting around 4pm.

i got out around 4. for about 2 hours as well... easy 2 was a **** hole, by that time. harder 2 was ok, though. 7 was kinda nasty as well...

I did okay; in my opinion a lesser rider would've struggled, while a greater rider, than myself, would've persevered... at least that what i thought, until i read scotts post, who's clearly a better rider... idk, i felt i could get my edge in if my technique was just dead on the nuts... i do feel like my skill sets are growing though, these kind of conditions would've punished me pretty bad, this time last year, and i can feel myself developing a rather distinct style... wish i had a video to see how i look.

I wont be able to make it to gates, tomorrow.

Trent and I played on 1 with some stubbies set up. It was a little rough cause 1 was rutted up pretty bad, but it was a lot of fun. Steep 2 was actually pretty good for free riding.

Michelle was out in hardboots for her second time. She was charging it! After the day was done and we were sitting on the couch, she said she liked it. She was totally exhausted though. We may have a new recruit.

In the future, I talked to Nate about setting at a regular time every week. He said that we could do Friday night, Saturday night, or Sunday night. I can do any of those, so what works best for everyone else?

some good riding yesterday! powell1.8 and i played until noon. had the hills mostly to ourselves. :biggthump 2 and 7 were solid and good. 12 was also good, but softer. highlands was all soft. seemed like they all got a morning groom. we didn't get on 16 because there were little kids running gates. i had to leave to rest up for round 2...

came back from 4-6:30. i was only on 1 and 2, and it's like scott said. still nobody there, we had the place to ourselves. and michelle was going for it! chair 2 on second day out. crazy! :biggthump @scott - thanks for setting the course. much bumpy fun. not icy though... wide and late = nice snow! ;)

-trent

"We have an opportunity to set stubby courses regularly at Afton. We have a choice of friday night, saturday night, or sunday night. If anyone is interested in running a course once in a while reply in the Afton thread what night would work best for you."

I'm in for Sunday night stubbies :)

The Grinch

So I went out after work and was out on the slopes by 5 PM. First, let me say that from downtown Minneapolis I took the back way and like it much better than navigating the stupid 94E traffic. I took 55 (Hiawatha) south, 62E, 110E (across Mendota Bridge), 494E, 61S (toward Hastings), 70th East pretty much all of the way to Afton. Without traffic maybe it took an extra 10 minutes but avoiding traffic was WELL worth it.

Anyway, I went out with Angela and she is getting better so I don't have to go as slow anymore:) Let me tell you, going slow with your angles @ 50/50 stresses my groin muscle on my rear leg. I think it is the slow skidding of the rear foot to slow down and help someone learn. But I digress again. So the snow was in great shape except for one of the runs way over on back side on the left. There were not many people at all so there were some times where I could really practice checking my speed by concentrating on laying down some nice carves and a lower speed. There was a little chop from pushed around snow but overall I had a great time. At the end of the day Angela was waiting in the car at the bottom of the run to the left of Chair 2 and got to watch me to a good speed-check-butt-slide down that run:) I wasn't doing big carves to check my speed so I had a good clip going on the toeside over the last knoll and it threw me up in the air a little off balance so I did what I usually do when I fall and just lifted up my board and slid for a bit to get it pointed in the right direction and then popped back up:)

It feels great to go flying down the hill and laying down some nice turns:)

2 was phenomenal at 9am hero snow groomed to perfection. It was a good time. Michelle and I spent most of our time on 7 and 12, as she was hard booting the whole time. side note: anyone know of a good alpine instructor? preferable female alpiner?

Tomorrow night at 4pm is stubby fun time. Talk to Nate today and it looks like we might be setting on 2.

2 was phenomenal at 9am hero snow groomed to perfection. It was a good time. Michelle and I spent most of our time on 7 and 12, as she was hard booting the whole time. side note: anyone know of a good alpine instructor? preferable female alpiner?

Tomorrow night at 4pm is stubby fun time. Talk to Nate today and it looks like we might be setting on 2.

i think Nick Terry, the ski school manager, taught/teaches alpine... it can't hurt to ask him.. he might know somebody.

workin tomorrow night... too sick to want to snowboard any way :(

Tonight was pretty good. Course was set on easy 2. I was the only one, so I ran it about 10-11 times then pulled it cause I was tired (I am so out of shape). The conditions were pretty good. Michelle was playing in the hylands while I was running the course.

You must have been on the black coiler. I guess I was there shortly before the the stubbies were put in. Should have stuck around.

7 and 12 were nice.

Yeah that was me on my NSR. You should have stuck around, the course was pretty fun. There is always next sunday night!

Next Sunday I will be up at Troll for the D-team races. The week after that should be good for me. Setting gates goes a lot faster with two people. What time do you plan to set up? I will help pending my availability.

I really love my Coiler AM. Bruce builds a good board. I am thinking about something like a NSR to replace my 1995 Factory Prime. It is getting so tired that it is beginning to feel like my Stat 7. I need to talk to you about that NSR sometime.

Bonzo,

Right on. I would be more than happy to ride with you and talk about the NSR. To be honest, the board is a beast. It rails and likes to go really fast. It is very tiring to ride, but is a lot of fun to ride in the gates. I also purchased a VSR which is my "go to board." If I was not in the gates ever, I would go with the VSR. The NSR is really awesome on 2 and 7 when they are empty, but you try and ride it on a crowded Sat. and you are destined for impact.

Sunday the 30th is the USASA race at Buck Hill. So I most likely will not be setting at Afton that night.

great day! cold, but bearable. snow was slow today, and would push away at times. but the grooming was good! and.... the place was empty! :biggthump guess yesterdays temps still had people shivering at home. even though i saw otto hollaus and skijammers there, it was never crowded.

4 carvers out today too! me, scott, michelle, and randy. randy and his dad ian were down from the st. cloud area to play today. scott and i both plugged a certain event this wednesday. ;)

-trent

Trent and I were out for Stubby Night at Afton. We set GS on 1, and it was the best night yet for it. We didn't have to deal with a previous sets ruts, which was amazing. It was a lot of fun.

We ran the course for a while then pulled it, and rode 7 for a bit. 7 was pretty chopped up, but we were holding pretty good. Legs got tired then called it a night.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pJvRADoxQF0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>