Note to New Members ×

Afton Log 2010-11

Scott.Creer

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great day today for the first day out. I rode the VSR for a while then got to switch to the NSR for a bit. It wasn't too bad. The meadows were pretty empty, looks like 2 might open tomorrow or sunday. I am planning on heading back there tomorrow or sunday. The grooming was a little spotty, but it is early season.

got out there, today, from 1130, to 3ish

it was packed, but it seemed like every body forgot about chair 2, and especially chair 7. Snow was soft... i guess too soft; there were a couple of times where my right knee came down and struck a mound of snow, damn near stopping me dead in my tracks (I did leave my right boot in "powder mode" all day)

All in all, i felt that i had a good day. my acquired longboarding skills that i picked up over the summer really seemed to help, as i felt like i could wined the board around with just a flick of movement. if felt like i was actually good at snowboarding today! :)

Scott, i saw clayton, today, and he said you were trying to get some people together, to set up some gates, during the week. details? interested.

lots-o-carvers out today (more than 2 carvers = lots). catfish, cody, scott.creer, futahaguro, and i played in the soft snow today. apparently call me jack was there too, if you believe his post. i'm skeptical...

snow was definitely soft in spots. dig too hard, and i was rewarded with a buried nose. repeatedly. grooming wasn't too bad, but there were definite ridges and bumps in places which made for some bumpy transitions.

highlands was weak. icy and / or bumpy at the bottom. lots of snow guns running at the top and middle. and not many runs open yet. but my wax was right. i would've killed a certain someone yet again in a wax race. ;)

meadows was ok, but was very crowded at times. chair 7 was pretty inconsistent snow, and occasionally busy. chair 2 was the most consistent, although racers and lessons were doing some drills this morning that caused some runs to be worthless. some people just never look uphill before starting, from a stop, a huge traverse - on one ski. doesn't anyone know the skier responsibility code anymore?? "•Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others."

powell1.8, scott.creer, and i played all morning today. chair 2, skiers left was awesome. super firm and no soft spots. fast, ripping turns, and big smiles for everyone. skiers right could've been great too, but they decided to take a couple of groomer passes at 9 - 9:15 making some of it solid (the old groom), and some soft (the new groom). not as fun as the solid stuff.

we ventured over to 7 for a few runs. it was better than yesterday, but still not as smooth as it should be. still nice to have some solid snow under the board today.

got a call from bobble while we were in warming up. we didn't get any of the sunlight that graced buck today. we even got a little flurries starting as we were ending around 1. the flat-light lovers were in heaven! :1luvu:

another great day to be out. no lift lines, no crowds, and pretty good snow to play on. i'm still sore from yesterday, wondering how bad i'm going to ache tonight and tomorrow. no matter, it was worth it!

-trent

So I took out my Burton Alp 169 with TD2 SI's and Head Stratos Pro boots for the 1st time on Saturday. I read a lot on common setups so I went with 50/50, 3 degree cants shifted for some inward cant and toe lift in front and heel lift in back. I also waxed with SWIX Cera purple(?) for 0-14 degrees or something. I HATE scraping that stuff! The first impression went something like, "Woah, this is as weird as alien sh!t." But after a run or two, I really tried to lay down some toe side carves and then it went something like, "WHOA! I've never done this before???! I've been missing out!" Holy cow that was fun! I met up with Trent there to try his Volkl Cross to see if it was much different than my Ice Rocket but it didn't feel too different. However, going from the Stratos to my 10+ year old Shimano Clicker boots was crazy! Those old things were FLOPPY! I love the control of hard boots! I also pulled off a toe side carve uphill:) That was fun! I cannot wait to go again but weekday sessions are few and far between for me. I also need to work on my "butt-out" but I will just say that I am trying to lay a trench with my as5:biggthump.

I was also told about the MES that has happened in previous years and I certainly plan to attend so I can meet the others.

See you on the slopes!

powell1.8 and i were out this afternoon. snow was cold and squeaky = fast! able to hold a good edge while going mach 8 down the hill. grooming still had some problem spots with ice balls and dips. it wasn't too bad once you knew which spots to avoid, but the first few runs were a little crazy. that afternoon shadow that happens on chair 2 made for some blind riding.

we tried to go over to 7, but it was closed due to snowmaking, so we spent the whole time on chair 2. we pretty much had the run to ourselves. i could get used to being 1 of 10 people on the hill! :biggthump

lots of snowguns running today. they should have a lot more open by the weekend.

-trent

nathan hackseth is who you want. they'll be setting up nastar this weekend from 12 - 2 both days. he's usually there, announcing times and setting the course. oh, and he rips on 2 planks too. :biggthump

last year he was also one of the ski school bigwigs, so he might be really busy on the weekends.

-trent

i'll be out sat too. for sure from 12:30 - 4 while my daughter has ski lessons. hopefully earlier if i can convince my wife to drop off our daughter so i can play in the morning too.

@futahaguro: fresh snow is free! welch would try to charge for it, but the rest of the hills around here don't! :biggthump

heading to afton now with the 4-year-old. hopefully making more than 5 runs on the magic carpet this time....

-trent

I want to test some gates before my first race next weekend at Welch:)

Futahaguro: It would be really beneficial for you to get in a couple runs through a course before race day!

Private Message or e-mail me if you are interested, and we might be able to coordinate a visit to Hyland Hills to sample one of our GS or SL training sessions.

If you have a lift ticket, we should be able to squeeze you in for a couple runs, but just viewing the course in person might also be helpful.

Just got back from the morning at Afton. The riding was good in the morning, but as the snow was setting up in clumps on the hill it started to get really choppy. Michelle and I called it around 11:30ish. On the drive home, we saw a guy riding a snowmobile down Como Ave, which was sweet. We did not see one city or state plow on the road plowing at all, it was a mess.

Haven't heard back from Nate yet, left a message yesterday.

I will be back out tomorrow in the miserable cold, right after I am done shoveling.