Note to New Members ×

Afton Log 2010-11

Scott.Creer

Just got back from the morning at Afton. The riding was good in the morning, but as the snow was setting up in clumps on the hill it started to get really choppy. Michelle and I called it around 11:30ish. On the drive home, we saw a guy riding a snowmobile down Como Ave, which was sweet. We did not see one city or state plow on the road plowing at all, it was a mess.

Haven't heard back from Nate yet, left a message yesterday.

I will be back out tomorrow in the miserable cold, right after I am done shoveling.

what do you drive? a hummer? i spent 3 hours clearing my drive way, and my drive way isn't even that long. and yeah, they called off all the plows to wait until it quite snowing.

in the process of clearing my drive way i had to get out our lawn mower that has a plow on the front... in order to do that i had to move my project car, into the other garage, so that i could get it out... so that ment flooring it in reverse... i didn't get really far..

Photo12111237.jpg

if you think thats bad at all, you should see the other side of the pick up in the right of the picture.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

effin cold today. 2 was the best, but variable. The wind made the top really hard, but below the crest was super soft. Took Tent's advice and got the boot gloves, and they really are amazing. No one was out in the morning, michelle and I were 2 of maybe 20 people at afton total.

If you get a wrangler, make sure to get the four door. The shorter frame on the 2 door, makes them real easy to spin around on you.

@scott.creer - you are either crazy or one bad-ass snow driving mo-fo! i didn't even attempt to get to afton yesterday after snow blowing our driveway twice, having drifts 3 feet deep getting recreated in a couple of hours. plus not having our street plowed made me wonder what the streets at afton would look like.

today i couldn't play either as i had the kids. i took them to do some holiday shopping. (after snow blowing yet another time - again 3 foot drifts today). the roads were still scary. i saw a plow in the ditch and a semi stuck on an exit ramp. plus all the 2 foot deep unplowed intersections in woodbury had me scared of getting stuck a few times. yes, my minivan isn't very confidence inspiring in the snow.

@call me jack - that looks like quite the digging party you got to have this weekend! :eek:

Agreed, if you have an AWD or 4x4:) I have a CX-9 and boy am I glad I got the AWD :biggthump. I was he!l bent to go on Saturday because you don't get that kind of powder much in Minnesota. Going out wasn't too bad, definitley blowing snow and hard to see sometimes but I made it from Minnetonka and parked in the Meadows area. Getting home was a bit more interesting. We had to wait at the bottom of the road for them to plow it, salt it, sand it, etc. before letting people up and even then, only 4x4/AWD! The 2WD people had to wait and go up one by one! On the way home I have never seen so many stuck cars, cars in the ditch, etc.. Most of the problems were on the ramps because of the snowbanks! Those sissies who were out in there 2WD need to realize that they need to GO THROUGH the banks FAST, not slow! If you go out in that weather with 2WD, get some cahones and know how to drive in that kind of snow!

Anyway, it was serious fun! I left the alpine board at home. Really windy! At the top of chair 2 it would blow you over if you stuck your arms out!

powell1.8 and i played for a little this morning. lots of waves and rollers on skiers left on chair 2. made for some interesting transitions and landings. skiers right had snow guns going and looked too soft for us. nat was killing it on 2 planks though. had a liftie gushing on his skill and magic knees. :biggthump

we went over for 1 run down 7. it sucked. they were grooming it again, so you'd go from solid to soft all in the same turn. couldn't see a difference between the fresh groom and solid groom either, so we bolted.

spent a few runs on 5 as that seemed the most solid and consistent we found. chair 1 was decent too, but didn't have time to play there long.

-trent

sorry, i can't tomorrow night. my kids have swimming lessons, and my wife works late thurs nights. maybe some thurs i could if i can get a sitter for the kids, otherwise thurs are pretty much always out for me. have fun! i should be at welch on sun to heckle, i mean cheer. :)

i emailed clay too, so hopefully he'll be out with cody tomorrow night.

-trent

Angela and I will be there around 4:30 so we will have plenty of time to warm up. I don't get good cell reception down there so I will keep an eye out for other carvers and say "Hi" until I find you. I have a pale yellow jacket with ski area patches on the arms with charcoal snowpants and a white and gray carbon looking helmet. My ride is a 169 Burton Alp.

See you tonight.

the conditions were not bad. The course however was. When we set a ski team had a slalom course down 1 even though we reserved it for the night. But minnesota nice must have rubbed off on me, cause I let them keep running it as I tried to set around their gates. This was a mistake that resulted in a super tight course, more like slalom than GS. Then the ski team pulled their gates, and I reset. Much better after the reset.

Call me Jack and Futahaguro were looking good. I however was not doing so good. The NSR is a beast, and when I messed up (which was every run) I could not make up for it easily. Much different than the old 160 burton speed I was running last year.

So Scott, Carver Jack (I must admit I forgot your name, I'm terrible with that. I think it was Dave?), Michelle, and I set up the run to the right of chair 1. Scott set the course and I think he set it in favor of my little Alp 169 instead of their big boards because it was really tight and he changed it later;) I really like the fact that it was not on a perfectly flat run like the parralel GS you see on TV! I have always thought that more people would watch snowboard racing if they would have similar diciplines like Super G, Gian slalom, etc.. Us boarders don't mind going fast! And I like how it was set up to have a hard toe side up a side hill and then heel side down a side slope. It was my first time running gates and I had a lot of fun! Scott, sorry I dug out of there without helping you clean up the course but I was there at 4:30 with my wife and she was ready to go home. Next time it will just be me:)

The conditions were actually quite nice except from some icy spots on the downslopes of the run under chair 1. I need to work on my heel side because when Scott was resetting the course Carver Jack and I went down the run under chair 1 a couple of times (again I feel like we weren't helping Scott out, sorry) and I wasn't checking my speed much so I would cut hard on my heelside, wash out, chatter, the whole nine yards, and slide on my arse for 20' to slow down and stick my board back in:) The people on the chair loved that!

Welch should be fun. I'm not sure if I will be there on Saturday or Sunday.

yeah, the my real name is Dave... I will go by Jack, on the hills though, if you can't remember.

It was deffinately nice out, although it would've been nicer for me, if i had a better quiver to bring. I had a really hard time getting my 186 f2 to dial into the tighter slalom style course. Once we rest however...i felt really good, and wish i could've ridden that set up a little more (i think i got one good run in)

Can't wait to do it again.

awesome! i only had 2 hours to play this morning, but holy crap was it sweet. yes, the light was flat, but the snow was superb. :biggthump i was only on inga's run the whole time. didn't even cross over to trudy's once. although nat was tearing it up.

the grooming was good, and there were some nice rollers to get some good (and some not-so-good) air transitions on. snow was nice and firm. you know the sound a zip line makes? that's what my gloves sounded like going across the courd.

if you can, get out and ride before it gets soft with all the new snow!

-trent

price and year? i still need to sell my mazda6, but it's something to think about, at least...

Sorry, it sold on Saturday. You gotta love Craigslist (and getting 2 feet of snow last weekend). Just for a point of reference, it was a 1993 with 76K, 4.0L, 5 speed, 1 owner (me) and all the choice options. It sold for $5,500. I miss it already, but five cars is too many for me to keep running and with a soon to be teen driver, the Jeep is the wrong vehicle for him.

The new owner didn't want to buy the Yakima board/ski and bike racks. If you get a Jeep, let me know.