Note to New Members ×

Mt Bachelor opens Weds the 24th!

carboncarver

They said, last week, it would be Friday the 26th, but have upgraded, due to the recent dumps. Still showing Friday's snow fall report of 14" in 72hrs, I bet they have doubled that by now!

I was in my boardroom the other day, deciding who would be the rock board this season. It is hard with fewer and fewer Dual-e's in my quiver to imagine scratching one in early season conditions. Maybe I should just buy an old freeride/carver like an Alp to thrash on the cinders...:nono:

• 3 weeks later...

Mountain has had some awesome weather. Big snow early then warm spell and the snow setup. Then another big storm system, followed by rain. The 50+" base is saturated, frozen solid and, as of yesterday, has another dozen inches of bone dry pow on top...

Could it get any better this early??:biggthump

Today the Summit and Northwest chairs ran for the first time of the season. The Sunrise lodge is also open for the first time.

For the rest of the NW, Mt Bachelor has a couple of charity weeks coming up in January. There will be vouchers for $25 midweek day tickets for the first to weeks of January. I am still trying to access some of them, but last year I acquired and used over a dozen of the tickets. If you ever wanted to travel to ride MtBach, those will be some cheap tickets to help defray costs.

Email me and I can track some down if anyone wants/needs:

carboncarver at gmail dot com

Pretty killer weekend... no carving to be done, just pow. West Bowls were fantastic early both days. Watch for logs lurking underneath the snow in Sparks Lake Woods. Need another 2' base in those trees to submerge the logs!

Those logs claimed the life of my buddies DH MTB helmet a couple seasons ago. Very sneaky they are. We had just dropped into the upper woods section and bumped a couple, undersnow. I thought it was lava and stopped to check my base. My buddy snagged his tip on one just above me and got thrown down, head first into the next one, behind me. Crushed his brand new Giro fullface helmet. By the sound, I thought he was dead, but, he didn't actually feel a thing... TFG:eek:

Hi Mike and other Bend locals, I'm visiting my in-laws in Bend, and will likely be riding Bachelor this Thursday. It looks like there's been about an inch in the last day, and there might be an inch or two from now until Thursday morning, so I'm thinking that it will be good conditions to take my new-to-me 4x4 for its maiden voyage.

I will hold off on the bigger meaner boards because it's my first day of lift-served this season, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Is the 4 x 4 the way to go, or should I be prepared for softer more powdery conditions?

Hi Mike and other Bend locals, I'm visiting my in-laws in Bend, and will likely be riding Bachelor this Thursday. It looks like there's been about an inch in the last day, and there might be an inch or two from now until Thursday morning, so I'm thinking that it will be good conditions to take my new-to-me 4x4 for its maiden voyage.

I will hold off on the bigger meaner boards because it's my first day of lift-served this season, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Is the 4 x 4 the way to go, or should I be prepared for softer more powdery conditions?

4x4 is probably a good call. I'll be out there on Friday and will definitely bring something similar unless we get a surprise dump that turns it into a softie day.

I'm 0 for 10 on getting a good carving day so far this season... one morning got about 6 decent carving runs before too much snow had fallen. Hoping that changes soon, I love pow but am jonesing for some railed turns!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

F*****g warm temps and likely rain. This looks like the w/e where I catch up on all the odds and ends around the house that I've been neglecting since, oh, 11/24.

It better cool down next week, since my Coiler SL Asym arrives on Tuesday! Actually, I wouldn't complain about some ice to break her in on :ices_ange

• 4 weeks later...

So I am out at dinner with a friend of mine who happens to live in Bend.

Occasional skier guy. I asked him if he knew what a carving snowboard was and asked him if he ever saw those at Bachelor.

He said "Yeah there is this guy with a giant sled thing with crazy ass bindings". Kind of funny to me!

So who is it?

• 2 weeks later...