Please read my first post  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Please read my first post

• Elan Wave Rider
    • Arbor Coda
    • Jones Flagship
    • other

Hi guys!

Some of my ski comrades have been freeriding for past few years, but now they started organising mostly pure FR trips, so if I want to keep up with them I should get myself a FR board. In fact that board should be good for powder, and I would use it for carving on slopes and fooling around (simple tricks and smaller jumps) when snow conditions are not for 180 cm carving decks! :eplus2:

These seem interesting:

Elan Waverider has a Unique Floating Rocker (the tip has rocker and the tail is straight) and has a wider nose than tail,

Arbor Coda has a parabolic rocker,

and Jones Flagship has directional rocker and camber underfoot.

Flagship seems to have the most advanced rocker, and Arbor seems to have the simplest, but since I never rode a rockered board, I cannot tell of how much importance that is...

What do you guys think?

I know Elan makes great boards (SG boards are made in Elan factory for example), Arbor makes great boards too, and this Coda has crazy graphics if you ask me!!! And Jones is made in Nidecker factory, and that is a good proof of top quality as well.

So what board should I pick?

Help please!

Cheers!

I did test ride SG Soul or what was the name..?

It's an AM board for hardboots.

I really do like SG snowboards, but years ago I learnt that it's not good to buy sport equipment that's good for everything and does not excell in anything (like bikes, boards...)! Buy one thing that's good for one segment, and another that's good for the other segment!

SG Soul is a nice board, but it's far from a real race board on piste, and far from a real softy in powder and for tricks.

so.... I guess AM board is not my chioce! :nono:

If was going to buy a new non-custom free ride board to hang with skiing buddies all over the mt. (steeps trees powder) I'd go for a winterstick TB 172.

Tom,s board has an 11m radius compared to 9.3 on the 168 flagship and would fit a longboard lover better and still be nimble in tight trees.

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td><table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="pageHeading" valign="top">

</td> <td class="pageHeading" valign="top" align="right">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td>pixel_trans.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="main"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="smallText"> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="smallText" align="center">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> THE TOM BURT PRO 172 IS THE DIRECT RESULT OF TOM'S EXTENSIVE RIDING AND DESIGN EXPERIENCE

In 2002, Tom Burt joined Winterstick and designed the first iteration of his pro model. The 2011 TB172, created with Wagner Custom, is the evolution of Tom's non-stop research, development, and design work. The unique shape of his pro model performs to his high expectations. And, it's one of the most anticipated boards in our line. The board has a stiff progressive flex with a stiffer tail than nose, trapezoid sidewall and long nose.

The uniqueness of the TB lies in the straighter side cut with taper, which makes the board narrower in the tail than in the nose. This places the center of the side cut further back. The rider's weight is centered over the side cut even though the rider's stances are further back on the board. The longer softer flex in the nose of the board allows it to initiate easily. The stiffer tail holds the line and provides more energy out of the turn.

This board is built for speed and to perform out of turns. The faster you go the better it performs. If you are looking for a board for down the fall line, riding at speed, steeps, crud, and powder. The TB172 is it.

<table class="Specs" style="margin: 0px 0px 13px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;" width="315" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Length</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 172.0</td></tr><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Nose Width</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 30.0</td></tr><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Tail Width</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 29.6</td></tr><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Waist Width</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 25.7</td></tr><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Sidecut Radius (M)</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 11.0</td></tr><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Nose Length</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 20.3</td></tr><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Tail Length</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 16.1</td></tr><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Effective Edge</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 135.2</td></tr><tr style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(161, 161, 161); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif;"> Stance Offset</td><td class="Rt" style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(34, 34, 34); margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif; text-align: right;"> 3.0</td></tr></tbody></table> FEATURES

TRAPEZOIDAL SIDEWALL CONSTRUCTION

FULL-LENGTH, WHITE ASPEN CORE

DAMPENING FOILS

CARBON MATRIX SYSTEM

PTEX SIDEWALLS

OVERSIZED STEEL EDGES

GUN METAL INSERTS

DURAJET HIGH-CARBON RACE BASE

See Tom Burt’s review.

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Unlees you want a narrower am board specifically for hardboots, then go donek axxess prior 4x4 or coiler am.

If you wanted to spend a bit less and rocker is not super important to you, look into following:

Elan Vertigo

Steepwater (Plow for softies, Steep for h/boots)

Dynastar 3800

Vertigos pop up on Euro eBay for about E450, often. They contain Titanal. It's somwhere in between BX and pow board (mellower flex then BX, big shovel). It carves really good, yet freerides well too.

Steepwater sometimes can be had for as cheap as $300, new. It excells in pow and hi-speed carving.

3800s NOS are even cheaper, if you can find one. One of the best all-rounders. Excells in pow, trees, bumps, still carves ok. Carbon/Kevlar construction.

If money is no object, also look into Tankers, Priors, Nideckers.

Thanks guys!

I was thinking of a shorter board. Maybe 160-165 cm. The one that I would be comfortable doing some tricks on. Softboot definitely.

And it need not be rockered board. But since I'm kind of a technology freak (when I discovered Titanal I went crazy!!!), I'd sure like to try a nice rocker board!

Try the Jones and let me know how it works out! It has the rockered tips we're use to on our carving boards and magne-traction for less ideal conditions the board is meant for. I'm deciding between the Flagship, Hovercraft and Venture Storm :smashfrea

.......how about you man-up and get an all-mtn carving board?

Man-up and get an all-mtn carving board? What does that even mean? There is a dramatic difference between a good powder / freeride deck and an all mountain in the conditions groovastic is asking about.

Groov, your response was dead on. I have not ridden any of the boards you are asking about. I might also consider the hybrid rocker Prior MFR. I have a custom sidecut split version on the way for technical riding conditions.

Try the Jones and let me know how it works out! It has the rockered tips we're use to on our carving boards .....

Often the rockered tips on these freeride decks have a much more dramatic rise than the "decambered" version on our carving boards. On the freeride decks, the rocker is often significant enough to decrease the effective edge (not always though). Works incredible for powder though.

I have not ridden it. Some of the regulars on splitboard.com have ridden the Solution and really like it. I am pretty sure it is the same board. I am looking forward to seeing it.

We have a Hovercraft on order but it is not in yet. That one is only for power I expect.

I have not ridden it. Some of the regulars on splitboard.com have ridden the Solution and really like it. I am pretty sure it is the same board. I am looking forward to seeing it.

We have a Hovercraft on order but it is not in yet. That one is only for power I expect.

Hey Buell,

I am curious how the hovercraft will perform as well. A quick update for you, I like the shape of the spearhead, but it just did not meet my needs and has too small of a sidecut for me.

Loc,

I had a Jones Experience 68w from Rossi and here are my comments on it (sorry you will have to read through the whole post to see my complete comments):

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29408

cheers,

sandy

Hey Buell,

I am curious how the hovercraft will perform as well. A quick update for you, I like the shape of the spearhead, but it just did not meet my needs and has too shallow of a sidecut for me.

By shallow I assume you mean small radius. It it definitly a quick turner for its size. What is next?

I think the short effective edge and significant taper also play a large role in the Spearheads quick handling for its length. It is no 200 Tanker.

Any chance of a shorter than 172 Tanker being produced again?

Yes, I was referring to the quick turning short radius sidecut just not quite to my liking and the board is kind of damp and dead feeling compared to a tanker, maybe it is just me, but I set it up the same way as my 200 and then tinkered with it a bit and just was not happy with it.

As for the shorter tanker, it has been discussed, but is not in the works yet...

cheers,

sandy