Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain - Duluth MN 2010-11

jolson

Again great weather and groom softened up around 10:30 so good running but second day in a row with terrible light.....flat, flat, flat.

Ran into Ryan this AM....Mr. Liquid-form to anyone else...very smooth.

Russ, try and post when you think might be a chance for mid week runs this week. The boots (1/2 size down and with the fourth buckle) are great, will talk to you about them this week sometime.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A cool start to the morning (-10F), but Bigwavedave (Dave) and The Bionic Man (Erik) were able wend their way through the massive Spirit Mountain crowds and get in a few turns....

004.jpg

Russ

Would have been great to have hooked up with you guys on Thursday, looked like great runs and nice video's Dave.....

Had my first grandchild this week and was helping out at my daughters house in prep for her going home....will look forward to another day for a group carving session.

See you all soon.

Jim

Congratulations Jim!!

Boy, I am overdue for my almost-annual Spirit Mtn Trip.

Is anybody planning to ride on Sunday Feb 20th?

Would be simply grand to meet up for some turns.

(and also the Timberland Coaster? - Yes.. I think so.)

Russ: You riding a 174 now? If you're around and interested, I could bring up a longer board for you to try for the day. I've got a couple extra 185's.

~Karl

Karl;

I have patrol duty from 12 - 5 on the 20th, so will be out for sure. I'll have to give some thought to the idea of trying out some different rides.....

Not sure what your schedule will be but an early start on the day will assure you of a bit more room to play.

Russ

Is anybody planning to ride on Sunday Feb 20th (AT SPIRIT MOUNTAIN DULUTH) ?

Would be simply grand to meet up for some turns.

~Karl

I have plans for both days next weekend....starting early as usual.

If there is a concentrated effort of more than 10 coming up for Sunday February 20th, a group rate could apply.....not huge but it could save some bucks.

Post here if you can get 10 or more and I will look into securing a group rate and details on ticket pickup......

Yesterday (Sunday) we had temps in the high 40s, then just below freezing last night; today it was in the mid 30s, forecast for a good freeze tonight. Tomorrow's supposed to be high 30s but the surface might be a little hard at 9am.

I'm probably not going to make it tomorrow, but will be out Thursday morning for sure.

Russ

I was out Sunday morning and have now set a record for boarding in terrible flat light .......looking forward to a simple day with some sun .....

Sorry Dave, Tuesdays just are not working out for me......I am going to try and get out in the AM Wednesday...will be playing with my binding placement on the 183 Prior to get it dialed in as I am not having great results with that longer board yet.....

I see that Russ is tryng for Thursday but I am tied up on that day also.

I plan to be up both mornings this weekend. Russ are you going to get out at opening (9 AM) on Sunday and then heading to your shift at noon?????

Jim

Started out with hazy sun and firm (not icy) groom. Very nice, could carve hard and only find a bit of crunchy snow a few inches below. Full sun about 10:30 started softening things up and had to ease up on the edge pressure. All in all another great day!

Uploaded a couple of pole-cam vids filming in upsidedown mode with the camera under the pole and closer to the snow. Don't have a link yet.

Sunday's forecast is looking better. I might try and join the party.

Good light early, though the surface was a bit touch and go - fair groom overall but the few scattered hard ruts and bumps demanded attention. Crowded early (President's weekend); spent some time with Alec who was killing it in soft boots on an Arbor A-Frame. I called it quits at noon when the light went flat.

Forecast is for wind and light snow tomorrow - we sure could use a couple inches of the white stuff to freshen things up a bit.

Russ

The latest in alpine snowboard technology has been a little slow to penetrate this quiet backwater of winter sports activity, but that all changed today when Karl showed up on his big Kessler with the Hangl plate:

February202011005.jpg

Unfortunately that board selection was less than optimal for the challenging conditions, so he enlighted us yet again by pulling out a slalom board with a Bomber plate (sorry, no photo).

Not a bad day, if you set aside the granular snow on top of the icy base and the 25-30 mph wind off the lake.....

Well done, Scuff!

The wind was pretty brutal today, but we made the best of it.

Thanks much Russ for the "Tour de Spirit."!

Riding was a bit of a disconnect, because you FELT fast due to the wind.. but you were actually going quite slow.. due to the wind.

At one point, the up-hill wind actually slowed me to almost a stop right as I was going into a heel carve... that hasn't really happened before.

(Spirit actually closed down one of the chairs due to wind.. Staying out in these conditions just shows you how BadA$$ we both are..:cool: )

After riding, I put my board in the car, and cold/wind kept me from indulging in the alpine coaster. Maybe next time. :(

Drive home was smooth sailing until a bit of wet snowfall at White Bear Lake, and then some accumulation at St. Paul.. By the time I hit Eagan, there was 4-5 inches. Saw 2 cars off the road, one car upside down, and I even had my own scary moment when my front right tire found the edge of the asphalt and my car started to swerve.. :eek: