Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain - Duluth MN 2010-11

jolson

...and yes...:eplus2:...its snowing.....10/26/10....that HAS to be a good sign for an early opening.....

Not much news yet about the hill but will update as the white stuff stays on the ground. Russ and I already had lunch and got slightly "over the top" discussing the pending season...

Looking forward to more visitors from the Twin Cities and beyond.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Russ,

Thanks for the updates, keep them coming. Did you go out this weekend? I was hoping to come up Tuesday (day off work), but it looks like rain and snow Monday into Tuesday, so maybe next week. I'ld like to come up once fourpipe is open. I'm riding my daughter's old board, a Kessler 180, and I want to have a lot of room. Rode at Wild on Friday, all but a few runs were open with good coverage and plenty of room to carve a big board until the afternoon.

David

Sky Hooker, Bindle Stiff, Scissor Bill, and Four Pipe (not quite full width) open; good to see lots of familiar faces again. Shorter hours (12-8 weekdays) through next weekend, then regular hours after that.

Good forecast for continued snowmaking - I'm guessing we'll have quite a bit of terrain by next weekend.

Russ

Wind chill toward the top of the lift was a bit brutal this morning and still some limited runs with Four Pipe still a bit narrow but awesome snow this early A.M. for carving with Bindle Stiff as a great run today. For the first time out, everything was working so well that I almost have to wonder if I burnt all my potential for great runs already.

The snow guns were working and will be working 24/7 all week and piles are already building so like Russ, I would be surprised if all the runs are not open for the the start next weekend of regular operational hours.

Season is a go...........:biggthump

Out for toboggan refresher this morning, then freeriding this afternoon; the bright sun took the edge off the cold, but still needed frequent breaks to warm up (on the bright side the place was deserted).........Gandy opened today; Four Pipe is full width; snow guns are running on Double Jaw and Sourdough Sam.

Game on - plenty of room to let it rip!

Awesome day today as I snuck out and tried the new 183 Prior (new/used) WCRM........longest board I have been on and it was a blast, but yeah...different than the 173 I usually ride........a good day on AWESOME snow. Not a soul in the way until 10 AM so a full hour of open hill and after that only minor traffic. I can see why Dave makes the trip North for morning carving during the week.

I plan to come up next Tuesday, weather permitting. According to the website it's national snowboard day, I'll celebrate that, plus it's the solstice!

Yeah, typical weekday morning is being the first person down fourpipe, do about 3-4 runs, and move on to the next run to the left and repeat til I get over to Gandy. By then people are starting to show up and time to work my way back to wide open fourpipe where beginers make an easy course to navigate. Not to mention that all runs are 2-3 times the length of anything down my way. My new ride this year; Mimi's old 180 Kessler.

Early excellent snow and blue skies at Spirit.......here is a test of new video camera (early Xmas present) and posting skills which are about ankle height on the skill level...

Will get better and look forward to filming some fellow carvers this year. Here's a look at a run down Spirit Mountain......

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Nice images, good quality. What kind of camera did you get, and how did you mount it? Are you guys planning to go out Christmas eve morning? I might be able to come up then. I'ld love to make some vids.

I jumped all over the post about GOPRO HERO HD Camera on OVERSTOCK.COM for a heck of a price. Hard to beat and from all reviews, fairly indestructable. No Zoom which is the only thing it could have that would be nice if you are taking shots of others from a set position, but that really is outside the core use of the type of camera it is. I was pleasantly surprised by how much wide angle it captures and I have the setting at 720 to allow for super slo-mo play back....have not tried the 1080 setting. Mounted to side of helmet with components that came with the camera....

Cannot make Xmas Eve morning although I would love to....but getting a divorce on Xmas because I am snowboarding and not prepping for 35 people coming to house seemed a decision no-brainer.......:AR15firin.

Will make sure that I hook up with you Dave, and with Russ should be able to get some good footage this year.

Happy Holidays......

Was out on Sunday morning for a short time and the snow was awesome...perfect for carving but the flat light was the worst and took the edge off an otherwise perfect weather and snow morning.

Cannot make it today...... (and will check my settings as I am not getting email notification of post to this thread so as to know when everyone is hitting the hill) .... but will look at next week hard.

Looks like the terrain park is close to opening and that should pull a ton of the snow-dozers off other runs and into that area.

See everyone soon.