Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain - Duluth MN 2010-11

jolson

Higher quality post of that video featuring Dave and Russ (except for my biff) on January 9th.

1. So who was doing the video work of the sunrise while you were driving?

2. Were 'ya thinkin about the relative position of that lift tower while you were flailing around on you back like a turtle in it's shell?

I don't think you need to apologize for the biff - looks to me like you fell into one of those deep trenches created by the guy on the big black Kessler!

But seriously man, these video clips rock! When I'm old and they've shuttled me off to the nursing home, I'm gonna buy the biggest flat screen display they make and just run this over and over. :lol:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Russ, by the time that happens you should be able to have a video chip installed directly in your brain and have the full virtual reality experience.

Shortly after I shot that pole video the clouds moved back and the light was so flat I couldn't see, so I quit and went xc skiing.

I won't be able to get up there until next week, maybe Tuesday or Thurs.

Dave, that "pole dance" was awesome......as discussed, if I ever try that it will have to be when Russ is on ski patrol duty cause I can just see them trying to remove that thing from some part of my body at some point....

Russ, no worries...I put the truck in "D" for "driveway" and knew it would take me to the Chalet while I filmed.......I simply could not pass up that sunrise...

... and yes, I am thinking about buying a used sea-tortise shell....for as much time as I have spent on my back lately you would think I could just grow one.....

-15F at 9am this morning, but the sun was shining; the groom was firm; and most folks either hadn't started their day or were enjoying the view from the chalet. Jim and I got in our turns until a little after 11 when the light suddenly went so flat that we couldn't see the rollers.

I'm not quite sure I buy Jim's story about being assigned to ride an alpine kit on Fourpipe all morning as part of his Mountain Host duties....

Never did hook up with Joe - let us know when you're up this way again.

Russ

Russ, returned home Sunday afternoon to find I have been scheduled for a psych eval next week......seems my family finds it unnatural to ride the plank at -15.......(seems you are next)

Oh....and yes....the "alpine kit" is an approved accessory to the Mountain Host uniform to those working the Breezeway........I am sure I saw that in the handbook.....somewhere....in the book.......

Sorry to have missed Joe on the hill but hopefully he will be back up in better weather.........

Could not make it to the MES in the Cities but yes, was out Wednesday Morning here on a spur of the moment decision...Like Russ said, great weather and snow conditions......perfect.

Dave, sorry but have appointments to keep today on Thursday so cannot join up. I hope to be up both days this weekend.

Patrolled the morning shift both days this weekend:

Saturday, January 29th - Flat light, early crowds, a bit soft after Friday's new snow;

Sunday, January 30th - Bright sun, firmer groom, crowds never materialized...nice!

Looking like I'll get a free day later in the week.

Russ

Very nice. Did you use the suction-cup mount?

I used one of the adhesive mounts.....my fault it popped off, as I recall, the directions say to let the mount sit for 24 hours at room temp .....I let it sit for only an hour before I attached the camera and went out.

I have not heard good things about the suction cup mount in cold weather.

A bit breezy, but bright sun and good groom made for a fun morning for BWD and I to tail each other around the hill with his GoPro; tried both the helmet mount and the extension pole. I'm anxious to see the results....

Also got patroller Don out on a hardboot kit for the first time this year - he's getting the stoke!

February32011024-1.jpg

Russ

After a week with the crud, climbed out on the hill this AM in 30 Degree weather and great snow which was surprisingly fast, but between having zero energy from the crud and the extreme flat light, a challenging morning.

No other carvers in the sandbox this morning......not a one......felt like the kid who crapped his pants and no one wanted to play in his neighberhood....

Will be out in the AM tomorrow....really, ...no crap....