Note to New Members ×

Need inexpensive laptop to connect to HDTV

Jack M

Need an inexpensive laptop that can display to a 1080p HDTV and fill the screen. (1920x1080)

My uncle got an Acer 17.3" laptop for $598, but he says he can't get it to display more than 1600x900 when hooked up to his TV. He wants to return it and get something that can. His main use for the machine will be digital photography. I know, I suggested a Macbook, but he is on a budget.

Please help, thanks!

This all depends on the resolution capable by the tv. VGA will do it but you need the edid "12th" pin on a 15 pin vga cable. Other wise HDMI but I would verify the tv's native resolution. This is why Mac guys do not use tv's for computer animation. They use Monitors designed for displaying the highest of resolutions that most consumer grade tv's cannot handle very well.

Need an inexpensive laptop that can display to a 1080p HDTV and fill the screen. (1920x1080)

My uncle got an Acer 17.3" laptop for $598, but he says he can't get it to display more than 1600x900 when hooked up to his TV. He wants to return it and get something that can. His main use for the machine will be digital photography. I know, I suggested a Macbook, but he is on a budget.

Please help, thanks!

1600x900 is mostly the max of the tv, not the laptop. if on a budget, try this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115852

queequeg - not sure, I'll ask. I love the Mac Mini idea. Mini + wireless mouse + wireless keyboard = $837. :1luvu:

slopestar, it's a 1080p HDTV. So, 1920x1080.

the mini is quite the little work horse if you don't mind paying top dollar for the small form factor and mac OS.

IMO, for that type of application the mini is going to be the least fuss. although, there's this http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=TjrpGyB7Ohm367YS

I have an Acer Revo (another NetTop box) connected to an HDTV. Works great, plays most downloaded HD movies without a hiccup. Processing power is down compared to a full computer but it can do 99% of what I need to do. Is he modifying pictures (Photoshop) or doing basic things like trimming/flipping? The Revo will happily trim/flip pictures but may choke on processor-intensive stuff.

It came with Win7, and both a wireless keyboard and mouse.