Note to New Members ×

Alp or Prime?

icecarver

Looking at a couple boards for this coming season. An Alp 169 and an Ultra Prime 162. Both are in good shape. I'm down to these two for a couple of reasons. 1.) They're in my budget and 2.) I have a soft spot for Burtons. My first board was a Burton, my first carving board was a Burton, and I've had several since then. I ride mostly smaller mountains and if I get to go more than 3-4 times this season I'll be really happy. I tend to ride moderate to aggressive and speed doesn't bother me.:cool: (At least not until the next day) What think ye?

I ride both 168 UP, 169 Alp. The UP has a 20cm waist/ Alp 21.5

UP is a little stiffer but holds ice better. I use it in powder up to 1'.

Alp has softer tip floats better . I'm 5'6" 180 and have to watch the pressure on the tip on the softer groom so I don't fold the nose. The 169 would hold speed better, but 162 better for narrower trails quicker turns. I get high speed wobble on that short of board, but I ride wider longer runs. since you only get out 3-4 times I'd go with the UP162 work on turns and push it to it's limit .:eplus2:

Some Alps are sandwitch too - the maroon ones. Some capped ones have more camber then the other ones.

Alp is more of an all-mountain ride, UP more of a freecarver. If I was to have only one board, I'd pick Alp. If you already had a pow/bump/soft snow board, then you should pick UP.

Another factor is your boot size and the angles you like to ride - Alp will accomodate flatter stance.

Thanks guys I'm really looking for a freecarve board... I've got a Ride 160 for Freeride/deep snow(not that we see much of that in ME) So I'm thinking the UP but I just found a Renntiger 168 GS that looks like it's in incredible shape... would that be like a Ferrari on a kiddy go-cart track? Also a Rossi Race VAS X 160 and it still has a good amount of camber. But the UP still looks like a winner.

Renntiger, by all means! Very good boards. They turn tight too. Out of the boards you mentioned, I'd definitelly go for it. I broke an old black 173 out late last season and it still had put big smile on my face. The very old ones, yellow with black stripes, I didn't like too much, but thay had different layup then the later ones.

The most of the Rossis are foam core. It is not necesserilly a bad thing, but most people are against it. Some have increadibly hi-tech stuff inside (for their age), besides the foam.

Renntiger in action:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNN9TJErCiA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNN9TJErCiA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Cool... I'll gun for the renntiger and if that doesn't work out I'll probably grab the UP. Thanks for the great info guys.

Gonna start putting aside some $$ for a Donek. Won't be 'til next season though :(. I want to support an American company but can't afford it in the near future.

Thanks for the clarification Jack.

If you really want a 'Ferrari', I have a Virus Black Death for sale at a steal of a price.

:ices_ange

I went from Burton to Burton and then to Donek and then eventually Virus which is now my board of choice.

You can't go wrong with Donek.

Maybe even consider a Coiler if you are looking a year out for a new board.

Bruce might have yours done by then!

:lol:

I have a yellow 173 FP that's in good shape, good camber and very quick. It's not getting any use-not ridden last season, waxed and ready to go and looking for a new home. According to some folks on this forum, it may be a team issue prime since thetopsheet dimensions were not stamped or laminated...just sharpied. 18.5cm waist, feels like maybe 13 scr? Not sure but lively and quick. Just throwing it out there.

Ended up getting the Ultra Prime 162. Should be fun. Found a set of Burton Carrier Step-ins. Super excited for snow... :eplus2: Full setup(board, boots, bindings) ~$200. Very happy... I'm sure it only gets more expensive from here.

Watched all of Sean's videos on youtube and I've got my heart set on a Donek Blade for next year. Better start saving now.

Thanks to all on BOL for the advice and direction. This is one of the best forums I've ever been on. A real great community and I'm proud to be a part of it. Keep it up everyone!