Note to New Members ×

grrrr you guys wanna start praying for me?

D-Sub

Mike...

I did ride skyliner, and it still felt narrow to me. The snow was pretty choppy so that could have a lot to do with it, combined with the first day syndrome, etc.

I might just be used to Mammoth where the runs are like freeways in most areas.

or, I might just be a sissy and need to grow some you know whats:)

D-Sub~

When the big storm finally hits Bachelor, do rainbow chair->summit riding cows face to the backcountry all day. My favorite terrain there. Rainbow provides some great carving runs, and a little more time to rest the early season muscles on the slow lift. I'll be there in 10 days! I'll email ya before I get there. We're staying in the southeast part of town by the costco. Ah, bachelor powder by day, deschutes brew by night.

Robert

D-sub,

I feel the same way. I grew up skiing at Bachelor, then didn't get up there for 10 years or so. When I came back on a carving board, I found everything a little too tight/steep for my liking, except a few runs that were too flat or had irritating double fall lines (like coffee run, I think). Funny, 'cause I remember thinking that Ed's Garden was the funnest run ever when I was a 12-year old on skis.

Better snow later in the season should help, and I'm sure that all these guys' suggestions on carve-friendly runs will be helpful too. Let us know how you're doing in a couple of weeks and what you've enjoyed riding out there.

Originally posted by reweston

D-Sub~

When the big storm finally hits Bachelor, do rainbow chair->summit riding cows face to the backcountry all day. My favorite terrain there. Rainbow provides some great carving runs, and a little more time to rest the early season muscles on the slow lift. I'll be there in 10 days! I'll email ya before I get there. We're staying in the southeast part of town by the costco. Ah, bachelor powder by day, deschutes brew by night.

Robert

yeah, hit me up!

if anything, the beer is good:)

and Dan...Ill definitely keep in touch. Maybe i just need a slightly tighter radius board. :)

yeah...14m radius...

Im really thinkin that my plans for a coiler might change a little...grab me an FC184 which is a little tighter...

anyway...I have no doubts that the freeriding will be badass. Its just funny...I wanted to do a lot of carving this year. Like I said...I'll have to adapt!

At least they are makin snow at Mt Bachelor. Up around Mt Hood we are still waiting and praying that this weekends storm will open up Meadows. Although the main run down pine martin is kind of steep its an awesome feeling when you can carve the whole thing at full speed without stopping! I am going down to bend on Feb 18-19-20 for an education meeting held every night at the deschutes brewery at 7pm. (sponsered by pfizer=open bar)

I hope to see you then so we can make some turns. Pic is of top of pine martin ....

Jim

post-219-141842199541_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Whatcha doin' with that thar skinny board in the PNW? Get Sean to build you an AM.

What's wrong with skinny boards in the PNW? It gets quite icy here whenit hasn't snowed for a week and temp has been hovering around freezing!!!

I'll pray for snow for all the rest of ya. Goin up today to pick up my girl's pass and take a look at the lockers. might splurge and get one. seems a lot easier than luggin gear back and forth.

the "skinny" board I have or will have wont be my only...when it dumps Ill be in soft boots ridin Outback Im sure. The terrain under the summit chair looks WEIRD!

Originally posted by P06781

At least they are makin snow at Mt Bachelor. Up around Mt Hood we are still waiting and praying that this weekends storm will open up Meadows. Although the main run down pine martin is kind of steep its an awesome feeling when you can carve the whole thing at full speed without stopping! I am going down to bend on Feb 18-19-20 for an education meeting held every night at the deschutes brewery at 7pm. (sponsered by pfizer=open bar)

I hope to see you then so we can make some turns. Pic is of top of pine martin ....

Jim

its funny, but...that pic looks SO different than how the hill looks right now. A little bit of coverage sure makes a huge difference!

(From Bachelor's web site)

Temperature

Base (F)24º Mid-Mountain (F)19º

Snowpack

Base (inches) 37" Mid-Mountain (inches) 38"

Snowfall

Last 48hrs 16" Last 24hrs 16" Last Reported (inches) 1"

I really hope you're riding today. Meanwhile, MHM is still not open yet. Timberline was decent yeaterday, on a rock board...

Originally posted by Mike T

(From Bachelor's web site)

Temperature

Base (F)24º Mid-Mountain (F)19º

Snowpack

Base (inches) 37" Mid-Mountain (inches) 38"

Snowfall

Last 48hrs 16" Last 24hrs 16" Last Reported (inches) 1"

I really hope you're riding today. Meanwhile, MHM is still not open yet. Timberline was decent yeaterday, on a rock board...

yup, just got back. CHOP CITY! I was surprised/bummed to see how fast it got tracked out!

but theres a LOT of fckin snow up there and a fair amount in town.

I have now discovered that both Mt Bachelor and the town of Bend pretty much suck at clearing snow so far. My street looks like a war zone. Havent seen a plow yet!

It is still snowing lightly. I had my girl with me and she was getting tossed around in chop and got worn out so we came home. Time to run errands and pick up those TF liners for the people who wanted them!

but yes, mike, youre right. It snowed. a heck of a lot for an early season storm. sorry to hear about MHM:(