Note to New Members ×

Snowboard conversion - 4x4 to UPM

SunSurfer

Do any US vendors have plans to sell the pre P-tex'd snowboard inserts +/- purpose built countersink drill bits +/- UPM templates for people to convert their old 4x4 insert boards to UPM?

SunSurfer

Been available in the U.S. for years. I've got a kit in my basement that I bought from the shop down the street.

The benifits aren't huge just slightly different. SGP can get you 1.7cm stack height for UPM, 4x4 is 2.4cm. Higher off the board also allows more tuning options Bumpers etc. with a longer plate nose. Not really necessary but more possible bling factorand $$$. It's a matter of how high or low you want to go height wise and dollar wise. My advice don't buy a plate till you try a plate. There will be no shortages maybe just a delay in getting what you want. Could be some major design ----ups so if you buy plate and board from same guy if makes suing easier :lol::lol:.Rememder that the more play there is in the hardware the sloppier the plate will feel. the higer the plate is off the board the more snow load underneath. Shred has a demo plate as well as his customs so hit him up for a try or put him into the woods a pry one off his cold feet before you commit to buy. Out of respect for the snowboard builder ride the damn board lots before you put a plate on it who knows you may already have the perfect board and not even know it.:argue:

Josh Banks with the Steamboat team really wanted to try a plate system with his current Sigi board (didn't have the 4 hole model going yet). So we jigged his deck up on my bigger mill and used the Wintersteiger kit to install the inserts. Always intersting to punch holes in a $1000 deck :eek:

Those pre-p-texed inserts are fantastic. Just make sure to leave a few thousands of an inch sticking up (don't drill too deep) so when you stone grind you will take them down to the base. Once you do this you can barely see the seam.

The issue is you really need to make sure you get the dimension dead-on for the UPM pattern. The plate is so long now if you are off by a bit the holes won't line up.

post-1-141842321988_thumb.jpg

post-1-141842321992_thumb.jpg

post-1-141842321995_thumb.jpg