Note to New Members ×

big board addiction

mike g.

try a kessler 163, that board is magic. it's not so good in slop but on hard snow it's special. need to ride a sigi to compare. lets put it this way, it will make those mini turns like a older sl but when you let it run it's more stable than most boards in the 170's

I think that needs a back to back with a classic Madd 158. :eplus2:

I love riding a short and turny board for a while and then switching to a big fast board. And vice-versa. It feels to me like all the 'good' motions work on both but the 'bad' ones only work on one or the other.

Plus, when you compress big boards into small turns.....wow....Love the feeling.

No doubt, it's wild to bend them into a relatively small arc. But apply that same technique to the little boards - you better be eff-ing ready because either:

1. You're about to change directions so fast you feel like you just might have broken the laws of physics.

-or-

2. You're about to give one spectacular high-side demonstration to the people on the lift.

Man, I can hardly wait to get back on some snow...

This made me LOL!

... like reading the newspaper mid-carve while wondering why the piste-patrols voices sound deeper than usual. (Doppler-shift)

:D

True enough. What's your favorite color? Mine's blue. ;)

I celebrate the differences. Some days I feel like making 1 million turns per run at 20-ish mph, then the 167 VSR comes out. Some days I feel like hauling butt and making 20 turns/run, then the 182 Monster comes out. The days in the middle I just ride whichever board already has bindings on it or is easier to get out of the car.

add a pair of really fun skiis into the mix..... then you'll end up crazy like me and never know what to put on in the morning! And then it always seems like once I came to a decision, I'd wished that I choose something else..... then add in a 8 year old that you have to help with those same decisions...... ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

:freak3:

:smashfrea

:AR15firin

:nono:

:argue:

I think that needs a back to back with a classic Madd 158. :eplus2:

if you have strong legs and good balance. the madds are more demanding and really punishing. the kessler makes riding easier madd makes riding more or less rewarding depending on a given skill level and fitness. I'm not superman and a couple runs on a 158 burns me up more than riding with a plate. even the 170 put gives me a work out. short and skinny boards suck for fat guys in terms of going all day. wide, metal things are easier, I like easy.

Life begins at 185 cm. "Short boards suck" he hollered as the steped into his 156 cm Burton Fish. In the alpine arena, 185 is the shortest that I have ridden for many years.

Think Snow!

What he said, only not as funny! :biggthump

I have often wondered why the 185cm seems to be my "Magic" size??

Is it because it works well for my size and skill? Or is it because it was THE gs board size for many years and a good share of my (our) early alpine gear were effectively hand-me-down or built-for-gs snowboards. So, which came first? Although having enjoyed some 200cm + plus customs. The 184-186cm range IS my all around carver.

It's not you Bryan, its the board :1luvu:

I weight a fair bit less then you do, but that 180ish size is my sweet spot, too. Seems like the right size for blending good sized turns with maneuverability and versatility (ie- like a GS course). And this coming from a guy who rode a lot of boards from 141-200. Other boards have their places, but when I imagine snowboarding its on a 186 pulling GS turns.

I haven't posted for awhile but this drew me back.I love the 'feel' of long boards, and have yet to ride a short board that replicates that feel.I also appreciate the smoothness at speed that is not unlike the suspension on a mountain bike that allows me to go faster with more confidence and to carve deeper into the belly of a big turn,also with more confidence.

Those that know me will be shocked to read this:) but I like to be noticed and I like to talk;so a 210cm sheet of carbon certainly helps in those areas too:)

Those that know me will be shocked to read this:) but I like to be noticed and I like to talk;so a 210cm sheet of carbon certainly helps in those areas too:)

Really Steve???? :lol:

I have been reading this thread and wondering how long before you'd chime in. We all know how much you like that big board!

• 2 weeks later...
and Doug ripped some HIGH SPEED Carves on it on Tiehack

and that is that! :)

To the best of my knowledge there is only ONE MAN on the planet earth that knows what riding a full on Tinkler Custom 252cm and 282cm Alpine Race snowboard feels like.

Doug owns that knowledge.

There is some video that WOULD have been posted of Doug ripping 30+ turns down a steep pitch off the Summit lift at Mt Bach. on a Tinkler longboard.

It is some pretty amazing follow cam that was being prepared for post when folks got nasty on BOL and it went away. Shame it was VERY impressive.

Pro video freestyle snowboard camera man basically pointing it to keep up while Doug absolutely RIPPED it in repeated laid out turns on a longboard. NICE!!!:eek::biggthump

There is some video that WOULD have been posted of Doug ripping 30+ turns down a steep pitch off the Summit lift at Mt Bach. on a Tinkler longboard.

It is some pretty amazing follow cam that was being prepared for post when folks got nasty on BOL and it went away.

Didn't we ban all the nasty ones by now?

Make 'em come back. Me like to see this.