Note to New Members ×

Best plate/stacking/dampener thingy for racing?????

evnewsphoto

I took two years off of racing because I became a Dad and man there were a lot of changes in those two years! When I last raced I was up to date with my Doneck and TD1s with step ins and I thought I was all set. I then decided to get back into when I was watching the olympics and that's when I first saw things were different on the boards, I slow-moed the DVR a lot in wonderment. I went on to win a 7th alpine tilte at USASA nationals by the way in Master men- 1st SL, 2nd GS. I then saw Trappy and few other guys from Steamboat riding crazy plates and others with stacks under thier bindings at the Copper Race (Rocky Mtn series). Then my friend Jason who beat me in GS at nationals riding a Kessler with black plastic plates (I think they were EAS or something like that) said it best, "you need a new set up!" Latter that day Adam Cassanova (coach at Steamboat) showed me his "Bomber plate" made of Carbon fiber that he was working on with Fin, and I guess that's what the team has been riding, it looked great but he said it will sell for $7-800! That seems a bit steep to me. I wanted to see what other plates are out there and wanted to ask for everone's 2 cents before next year. Not sure who else is making them and where I would start looking. I heard that the US snowboard team took canoe oars and mounted those to the board but that sounds too cheap to me. Also I guess a lot of people have been making thier own. Thanks for any and all insight and help! At least I have all summer to look for a new set up.

Later that day Adam Cassanova (coach at Steamboat) showed me his "Bomber plate" made of Carbon fiber that he was working on with Fin, and I guess that's what the team has been riding, it looked great but he said it will sell for $7-800!

Whoa, I think you just let a secret out of the bag! :eek: That's the most anyone has spoke about Fin's latest development so far.

The Apex plate was under this Jasey's feet for his gold, so that would obviously be a good place to start, but it appears there are many good options in development right now. Lets see what the beginning of next season brings.

I see in the pics that VIST plate, that's what the guy who beat me was riding that I couldn't remeber the name of. And I did see that article about Jasey Jay and Apex but they aren't selling the Apex plate (some dispute about royalities), too bad.

I like your set up with the stacking but I am using TD 1s (with step ins) and I don't think it would work, maybe I need to try that oar thing....

I forgot to mention that back in the mid 90s I cut some Derbyflex plates (for skis) in half and mounted them under my old CATs (the heel clips) and it made the chatter 10 times worse than with out so I abandoned them after a short trial period. I remeber tring to expoy them on but never really finding a good way to attach them other then pressure from the binding. It's funny how we re-invent the wheel sometimes.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming!

Check out these threads for some more info:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29131

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29949

Can you tell us any more about the secret plate that Fin is developing? How does it attach to the board? Does it float/slide in front and hinged at the rear?

I don't think it's that secret since Trappy and the team raced on them all year. It is a platform of Carbon Fiber very stiff (although Adam said it flexed a lot) and it has two attatchment points below that are pins that go into a hole on the mount to the board (across the width) and I think one of them floats fore and aft. It looks similar to the Apex plate but does not stick out in front as much. The pins allow it to pivot and float while the board flexs with an inch or so clearance and the bindings then mount to the plate itself (I saw inserts in the Carbon). Very nicely done, I would expect nothing less from Fin, I hope he's not mad at me know for spilling the beans, but all anyone would have to do is go drive up to Howleson to see them. As much as I love my Bombers and trust Fin, I just think the price is too much at $7-800

evnewsphoto,

Welcome to BOL.

Go to All Boards Sports in Boulder to see all the latest and greatest boards, bindings, boots and even some of the modern plates(vist, hangl, F2) on the market.

Join us some weekend at Lovey. The LCI rides Lovey on the weekends primarily and some of us will be out tomorrow(Sunday). Keep an eye on the ride board, Yo LCI thread, to see when we will be up. Hope to meet you soon.

Ink

I don't think it's that secret since Trappy and the team raced on them all year. It is a platform of Carbon Fiber very stiff (although Adam said it flexed a lot) and it has two attatchment points below that are pins that go into a hole on the mount to the board (across the width) and I think one of them floats fore and aft. It looks similar to the Apex plate but does not stick out in front as much. The pins allow it to pivot and float while the board flexs with an inch or so clearance and the bindings then mount to the plate itself (I saw inserts in the Carbon). Very nicely done, I would expect nothing less from Fin, I hope he's not mad at me know for spilling the beans, but all anyone would have to do is go drive up to Howleson to see them. As much as I love my Bombers and trust Fin, I just think the price is too much at $7-800

Wow, that does sound pretty awesome actually. :1luvu:

Does it use the standard mounting pattern or does it require Hangl and/or Vist holes?

Regarding price, Vist already asks $550+ for their plates and those are just plastic. A fully suspended CF plate won't be cheap, but Fin will definitely make one of the best options out there when he's done testing.

Fin, I know that CF is not cheap, but I'm ready to buy. Let me know when this is ready to go and I'll be first in line!

compare that to a apex though, starting at $1000

what I really need to know is what insert pattern it uses!

I got the paint code from the General Lee of the internet then got it as a spray paint and the put on the stickers. As I was the only person the that plate last season. the team was on either vist or hangle. But it is probably the best riding plate I have ever ridden including the apex.

evnewsphoto-

Come ride at Loveland with us. You need a little longer board to compete with those fast guys (although you ARE a fast guy). Any time you come up the hill to ride you are welcome to ride any of my boards. There's talk of some sort of training program at Loveland next season too, so keep and eye out.

Call me if you are interested in riding.

kevin

nine seven oh - three eight nine - two two one eight

My advice to you would be to upgrade your binding and board set up before looking into the new plates.

Get on a current race board and on to some TD3's or some F2's. Spend a season getting that set up dialed. Then look into plate designs.

By the way, the US team did not use a canoe paddle. The plate you saw that Casanova had was a new prototype and was not used during the season. The plate Trappy used this year was all metal. If you think 700-800 is too expensive, then you don't have to buy one. But look at how much a high end race ski cost before you call out price gouging.

• 3 weeks later...
Latter that day Adam Cassanova (coach at Steamboat) showed me his "Bomber plate" made of Carbon fiber that he was working on with Fin, and I guess that's what the team has been riding, it looked great but he said it will sell for $7-800!.

I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to ride the new plate system that Fin is toiling away on. And yes, I believe Adam has had a big part in its development. Its amazing! I have been on them all and this new creation is definately top of the heap. It took a very funky and firm Abasin and turned it into an enjoyable and chop free ride. Wow, smooooooooth. Allows the board handle the chop, ice and variation and still perform while isolating the rider from the hostility better than any of the other plates that I have been on. I was going soooooo fast and in a comfort level I haven't experienced and still rippin turns at INSANO speeds. All day freeriding? Mabey. Hoping to spend a full day on it in the near future. Definately the most user frinedly system when it comes to setup. Save your pennies and work that overtime, your gonna want one.:biggthump

Think Snow!

I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to ride the new plate system that Fin is toiling away on. And yes, I believe Adam has had a big part in its development. Its amazing! I have been on them all and this new creation is definately top of the heap. It took a very funky and firm Abasin and turned it into an enjoyable and chop free ride. Wow, smooooooooth. Allows the board handle the chop, ice and variation and still perform while isolating the rider from the hostility better than any of the other plates that I have been on. I was going soooooo fast and in a comfort level I haven't experienced and still rippin turns at insano speeds. All day freeriding? Mabey. Hoping to spend a full day on it in the near future. Definately the most user frinedly system when it comes to setup. Save your pennies and work that overtime, your gonna want one.:biggthump

Think Snow!

Hey Mark what inserts (system/setup) is needed for this Bomber platesystem so I can cope with it for my new board to come? 4 x 4, Hangl inserts, Vist inserts????

INSANO

Think Snow!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4IMWzRvsk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4IMWzRvsk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>