Note to New Members ×

Freestyle Carving Trick - The Casper

johnasmo

John's video gives a better perspective of how cool that is than the bobble-head videos from before. Not that the bobble-head videos weren't great too, but it's interesting to see from a 'normal' perspective too. Very very awesome to watch. That must turn a LOT of heads on the lift!

I tried some switch riding when out with some newbie friends on their 3rd day of snowboarding. It showed that I've forgotten a lot since my transition to hardboots some 7-ish years ago... I could link turns but it was far from pretty. I'll have to play with this next season if/when I get bored.

Since he made the style, it should be named after him, or let him decide the name, or something along those lines.

+1

Casper is a freestyle skateboarding trick that was invented by Bobby "Casper" Boyden in the late 1970s.

The style should definitely be named after him. Besides, in the future, anybody who posts videos of themselves carving like that will be subjected to "ohhh, they're riding like Casper..."

+1

The style should definitely be named after him. Besides, in the future, anybody who posts videos of themselves carving like that will be subjected to "ohhh, they're riding like Casper..."

Why thank you sir.

Wasn't the casper where you kick the board up, land on the tail, and slide forward?

And Bruce, twin-tip EC board? ;)

I can sense a new board design possibility here:biggthump

Very impressive!

Thanks Bruce. Please put my name on your build list, i want whatever you come up with. i need a real snowboard, tired of riding vintage. I was riding at Targhee with five other riders and they all had your boards. I couldn't keep up. Cheers!

I was riding at Targhee with five other riders and they all had your boards. I couldn't keep up. Cheers!

Hmmm... I didn't see any of us keeping up with you, either! I spent most of Thursday falling down, trying to ride switch. :rolleyes:

It's going to be freakin' scary what you'll be able to do on a real board! :eek: Can't wait to see it! :biggthump

Thanks Bruce. Please put my name on your build list, i want whatever you come up with. i need a real snowboard, tired of riding vintage. I was riding at Targhee with five other riders and they all had your boards. I couldn't keep up. Cheers!

I have dabbled in the twin tip carving boards on a few occasions. I have a demo in stock which from my memory is about mid 160s but the sidecut is 12 or 13ish as it was a stubby oriented design. For your application it looks like a tighter sidecut is a good idea. Falling backwards at speed seems not like a good thing. Toss me out some dimensions if you have some ideas. Not sure if variable sidecut would be good as the uniform turn arc of a radial sidecut may be easier to handle. Taper is another interesting thing while riding this way. The possibilities are endless. Oops, I feel a headache coming on;)

BV

As a 'freestyle' carver myself it's great to see others are innovating with excellent tricks pulled off with great form.It will be cool to see what you pull off with a modern board;though most of my best tricks have been with traditional freeride boards with plates,I will design my next board with freestyle in mind,but with carving performance still part of the equation.My Diablo 210's shape facilitates some of this but is simply too big to do all carving the tricks I've done over the years.

OOPS,got dyslexic on the title,hehe

PS. Do you ever dig the tail in??

I pretty much quit riding square tails switch after a nasty tail dig body slam a few years ago on the factory prime.

In the last three years i remember only two tail digs. That's my biggest fear along with being partially blind when your leaning into a turn backwards, thus a helmet and at Teton Village the last few years, no crowds to watch out for. I did have one crash with a skier last year, no injuries. It was witnessed by a ski patroller and she accessed no blame.

I have dabbled in the twin tip carving boards on a few occasions. I have a demo in stock which from my memory is about mid 160s but the sidecut is 12 or 13ish as it was a stubby oriented design. For your application it looks like a tighter sidecut is a good idea. Falling backwards at speed seems not like a good thing. Toss me out some dimensions if you have some ideas. Not sure if variable sidecut would be good as the uniform turn arc of a radial sidecut may be easier to handle. Taper is another interesting thing while riding this way. The possibilities are endless. Oops, I feel a headache coming on;)

BV

I carve switch on an Identity 173 that is a twin tip with no taper & a variable sidecut (I believe is 'quartenary elipse' from the mind of John McGuiness, Bryan would know more).

This VSR is a bit unequal for riding switch; but a blended radius could work really well for this type of riding if it's mirrored end to end.

I'm imagining a 165 symmetric twin with a switchcarve oriented asym flex core(equal at both ends) and the blended radii around 9-11m.

22-23 waist to allow lower angles of +/- 45*, enough tip/tail to handle lots of powder, and early rise for forgiveness initiating carves.

I've been dreaming of an Asym Alp with powder twin tips :1luvu:for 15yrs.

Just thinking about a new metal "Coiler Switchcarve" has me drooling:p

Pretty please Bruce, "if you build it they will come" :biggthump I'll certainly buy it.

I am calling it the Casper. Amazing video's!!! Can count how many times I have watched them! Truly original and amazing! I would love to see the expression on other people's faces watching him ride!

I have been riding old equipment since the mid 90's (ROSSI alpine in fact) and just got my first new board, a Coiler 161 VSR! Bruce is BRILLIANT! I have had the board out 3 times now and am amazed every time I ride it! His boards are addictive! I now understand why so many people ride Coilers!!!!

Ya can't go wrong with a Coiler:1luvu:

Not sure if variable sidecut would be good as the uniform turn arc of a radial sidecut may be easier to handle. Taper is another interesting thing while riding this way. The possibilities are endless.

This kind of thing has been on my mind ever since the variable-sidecut + decamber stuff started getting popular. I don't carve quite like Casper but I do spend a lot of timing riding switch and carving switch, so the progressive sidecut idea does not appeal to me at all.

What is lost when the 'decambered' side is combined with a conventional uniform sidecut? Obviously the idea of leaning forward to turn tighter would be right out, but frankly that never appealed to me either. :) Is there anything more to it?

Different radii for the tip and midsection seems fine, as long as the tail as the same radius as the tip.

These questions are not just for Bruce, but anyone who has experience riding decambered boards, or better yet building them. :)

...SES next year...

Glad to hear that you will be at SES next year! We rode together at the SES in 2001 (with David, Johann, Rex,...). I'm going to try to make it out there for SES next year. We'll have to crank some turns and launch off of everything!

very nice dude, very smoothe and yes this type of carving has been around for awhile i watched martin franenamitz from austria race fake and qualify at a world cup also victoria jelaeus from canada would do this on a super g board flying vrazy insane anyway not to take away from you. its real nice to watch. i have been in hard boots since 87 and still eat **** doin this haha