Note to New Members ×

Planning Next Years Trip -- CO?

DrCR

Well after not boarding this year, me and several of my mates are talking about doing another proper trip. A couple of us did Hood Meadows a few years ago and that was fun (had a friend out there), but this time around looking to say on the mountain (don't want to organize this trip's 5-6 guys) which rules out Hood again or Batchelor).

Currently looking at Big Sky and Whistler Blackcomb, but airfare to CO Springs is almost half the cost of those two. So how crowded is Vail the first week in Jan? Is it affordable to stay on the mountain (would like to keep it in the <$200/night range)? If it's busy, expensive, long lift waits et al we might as well spend the extra plane ticket cost to Big Sky or Whistler.

Thoughts? Thanks

I like Whitefish (Big Mountain) a lot, but the one drawback is that they don't get a lot of sunny days in the winter. You often end up socked in with very low visibility. I think that Big Sky is better in this regard. However, for both of them the snow coverage can be iffy. They didn't get a lot of snow at Whitefish this season, and the last time I was at Big Sky the snow coverage was not very good.

It's always expensive to fly to Kalispell. I think there are only a couple of flights a day that go there, so you can never find good deals.

You might also consider Utah. You can probably find some good deals on flights to Salt Lake City since it is a major hub, and there are some great ski areas around there.

MT - Whitefish / Kalispell is a new one for me. Flying into Billings for Big Sky was ~$550 for us. Denver is ~$350. So CO got the nod for this trip. Not too surprised about the MT snow report. I'm hoping lightening won't strike twice though and next year will be a good year for the west.

UT - Oooh, now that I look it up to Salt Lake City would be at least as cheap as CO, perhaps cheaper. Didn't think of this until you posted. Going to have to look into it.

CO - Flying into Denver is the cheapest CO route for us. The vehicle rental is pretty pricey though, at least compared to some numbers I saw for Billings, MT.

I looked into Aspen/Snowmass and around $350/night was what I was seeing for a little less rubish, closeish to the slopes condo for 6 with a full kitchen. I wonder if Loveland is any cheaper.

Does Loveland get hit with Denver crowds? Me not like crowds. It's annoying for a novice HBer failing to represent well. ;)

Rent a car, stay in Silverthorn. Lovey offers the 4-paks for a while early season and you get 4 tickets that can go straight to the lift. There are also Keystone, Abasin, Breckenridge and Copper all within a short drive from Silverthorn. I think Abasin also offered 4-packs. You will also get to spend time at BOL while in town and it is well advised to visit All Boards Sports in Boulder. Two of the premier carving candy stores in N.A.

The LCI are primarily weekend riders however some get out during the week. I think JP1 only spent 1 of his 8 day riding alone.

When the time comes closer post in the CO ride board if your plans bring you to CO. There is also a good group in Summit County who do ride more during the week.

Ink

Ink, I had such a good time I don't remember spending any days riding alone :confused: But I do know I 'more than likely' will be back again early next season :biggthump Luv them 4 Paks :D

DrCR, Yes, Bola @ 'All Board Sports' in Boulder and Fin & Michelle @ 'Bomber' in Silverthorne should be on your list of things to do / see.

Also Sunshine Cafe (Blue River Special) enough for breakfast & lunch at the mountain, Dillion Dam Brewery (Pale Ale & Burgers), and of coarse Jersey Boys Pizza & Deli for some real Pizza (they even had Pork Roll :eek:).

Don't forget to take Rt.6 instead of the Interstate for the scenery :biggthump :biggthump

You might also check out your local ski clubs. They arrange group trips to various destinations, and you can get decent package deals by traveling with them, and you don't have to worry about renting a car. Two years ago I went on a trip to Snowmass with my local ski club, and it just happened to fall on the same week as SES :). We stayed in condos right on the slopes at Snowmass, and you could take a shuttle to Aspen, Highlands, or Buttermilk.

Also, staying here in Summit County as inkaholic suggested means that you are only 1/2 hr from Vail and Beaver Creek. If you get a wild hair, you can drive to Aspen (2 hours). There are lots of choices, more so than you can do in a week :biggthump

Pretty cheap lodging in Summit as well, there's a hostel in Silverthorne with dorm style accomodations. Let me know if you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

MT - Whitefish / Kalispell is a new one for me. Flying into Billings for Big Sky was ~$550 for us. Denver is ~$350. So CO got the nod for this trip. Not too surprised about the MT snow report. I'm hoping lightening won't strike twice though and next year will be a good year for the west.

UT - Oooh, now that I look it up to Salt Lake City would be at least as cheap as CO, perhaps cheaper. Didn't think of this until you posted. Going to have to look into it.

CO - Flying into Denver is the cheapest CO route for us. The vehicle rental is pretty pricey though, at least compared to some numbers I saw for Billings, MT.

I looked into Aspen/Snowmass and around $350/night was what I was seeing for a little less rubish, closeish to the slopes condo for 6 with a full kitchen. I wonder if Loveland is any cheaper.

Does Loveland get hit with Denver crowds? Me not like crowds. It's annoying for a novice HBer failing to represent well. ;)

If you don't like crowds come on up to Sun Valley. January is the best month of all here.

$275 a night here about 200 to 300 yards from slopeside it looks like.

http://www.vrbo.com/18907

Once you make it here they have pretty good bus service, plentiful taxi and you can walk to downtown from Condo. About 400 to 500 yards.

This one not quite as convenient to the big hill, but right next to Dollar

$200 per night plus $300 to $400 in "fees for the week.

http://www.resortquestsunvalley.com/rental/house.html?ID=173

Yeah, I thought about SunValley. Plane tickets appear to be in the ~$500 range minimum though, so CO has a $150 per person edge on that front for us. Don't worry though, it's definitely on the try-at-some-point checklist. :biggthump

A friend's mom is a travel agent. Apparently looking too far ahead can result in higher rates. Will see what the prices are for everything come mid/late summer.

Yeah, I thought about SunValley. Plane tickets appear to be in the ~$500 range minimum though, so CO has a $150 per person edge on that front for us. Don't worry though, it's definitely on the try-at-some-point checklist. :biggthump

A friend's mom is a travel agent. Apparently looking too far ahead can result in higher rates. Will see what the prices are for everything come mid/late summer.

Airline Tix $500

Lift Tix $450

Food $250 to $350 easy for a week

Lodging $300 to $400 for a week

Having nearly deserted runs to yourself - Priceless.

Having nearly deserted runs to yourself - Priceless.

Never were truer words said. All of us save two are poor college/grad students though, and it would take convincing. Several have given me a ~$1k cap, sans food/rentals. We'll see...

I went to A basin for the first time this year and loved it. Mountain is so wide open and you can rip some nice carves. Each mountain has it's own special qualities. I would say Beaver Creek for best wide open carving and the vastness of Vail's bowls is great.