Note to New Members ×

Softboot board for carving??

Bobby Buggs

IMO, after not having been on a soft set-up for well over 10 years, I am riding a Salomon FRS 165 which is a BX ride, carbon X across tip and tail, built for speed and carving and for soft bindings. For free-riding, I'm riding an all-mountain older Osin that is much more suited for this time of year; it's flexy, fun, twin-tip and also carves well but isn't great at hardboot speeds.

I have no intention of riding hard boots and plates on any of these boards. I like the break and change. Sometimes it feels good to get on different equipment and ride the same trails you do in hardboots.

If you're looking for something like an all-mountain ride, I can shoot you some pics of a couple inexpensive rides I have left and you could be on it by next weekend. That way you don't shoot a wad on something you really aren't sure if you'll be on alot...yet.

powdah

I like my Donek Incline. Best edge hold of any freeride type board I have ever riden. I am going to try it with plates today for the 1st time. I haven't tried any of the BX boards yet though. But the Incline will rail with softboots and can be riden anywhere on the mountain. I have had it in 6" of powerder and it had plenty of float. Best thing about it is you can get custom flex and waist width for your weight, boots size and angles.

tankers in the size and width of your choice, the smaller tankers don't get enough love here. make way more sense than the 200 for resort riding. the 172 and 177 are really nice boards for the east.

carve really well but do suck on ice.

Is there a board out there thats preferred for softboot carving? This is NOT intended to be one of those softboot flame sessions:nono:

The Razor is designed as a carve specific board for softies. The incline is very carve oriented as well with a more traditional shape. The saber is our bx model with decambering a lot of rubber and a large amount of taper. It really wants the fall line. I have also done some 200cm freeride shapes similar to the tanker if you want to go that direction. If you have something specific in mind, let me know. Customs are the same price as the stock shapes.

A newschool BX board. Decambered nose and tail, long effective edge for its length, metal (many of them), all the goods of our newer hardboot carveboards.

Don't go too long because of the long effective edge and don't get too large of a sidecut for softy carving on groom (some of them are up to 14m). Many boards calling themselves BX are the older style much like our older style race boards and will ride accordingly.

Obvously there is Kessler, Oxess, and Apex. Prior apparently has one that is not on their website, Bruce might build you something (he did for us), or Donek (as he just posted) might have something and there is this thread.

I would not waste my time with anything else as a dedicated softy carver. Some people really like them in mixed conditions and powder as well.

The Razor is designed as a carve specific board for softies.

This. I went from an Incline to the Razor, and in opinion, it is everything the Incline was, but just easier. It will go as hard or as easy as I want. If you want a board for softboot carving, then the Razor is it.