Note to New Members ×

Regular or goofy...but w/ twist.

Alaskan Rover

Regular or goofy stance? but which is primary foot?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Regular or goofy stance? but which is primary foot?

• Regular, but kick w/ right foot.
    • Regular, but kick w/ left foot.
    • Goofy, but kick w/ right foot
    • Goofy, but kick w/ left foot.

I'm just wondering about something. I presume that as far a ratio goes, between 60% to 70% of you ride regular and 30% to 40% ride goofy... about the same ratio as for softbooting. But what I am wondering is: of those that ride regular, how many kick a ball with their right feet, and how many kick with their left. The same with goofy riders: how many left-footed kickers and how many right-footed kickers. This is basically termed "footedness". The other "reg vs. goofy" poll of a couple years ago didn't cover this.

As for me: If given the push test (have someone "sneak" up behind you and lightly push you off balance) I ALWAYS put my RIGHT foot forward. I also kick a ball (or a person, if they get on my bad-side..ha ha) with my right foot. However, I feel most comfortable and natural on a board riding left-foot forward (regular)...this may be due to my having had ACL surgery on my right knee...or maybe was just born weird (I know, I left myself open to attack on that one). I would add right-handedness and left-handedness to the poll, but I think that would make the set of mathematical combinations too high...but apparently MANY right-handers are "left-footers", and vice-versa.

<!-- / message -->

<!-- controls -->

progress.gif

I am messed up.. all due to my elementry school trying to fix me.

I write left handed, golf right handed, throw left handed, bat right handed, regular footed, play tennis with either, drive my corvette with my right foot, use a mouse with my right hand, and the number #1 thing I do left handed is operate the TV Remote Control every 2 sec-- close to the national average in speed and frequency.

I ride goofy, fight southpaw, and kick with my right, but I can kick *a lot* harder from regular stance.

My son is really wacky. Ever since he could stand, he has been swinging a hockey stick, and he does that lefty, but can only swing a bat righty. He rides a skateboard regular, but rides a "razor" goofy. Does his "heely's" goofy but snowboards regular. He kicks right and is right handed.:confused:

I would have thought, perhaps, that foot-dominance would be a more accurate forecaster of board stance...but the polls so far don't seem to back this up. So far, about 83% (out of 30) of riders are right-foot dominate...I have found that most right-foot dominate people tend to end up right-foot forward for the sliding-test (sliding on a a bare, slippery floor in socks), and most also tend to put out their right foot during the "back push" test.

However, it seems that right-foot dominance does not seem to carry over to the snowboarding stance, as most "regular" riders seem to be right-foot dominate as well. I rather expected right-foot dominance for those preferring "goofy" stance. I didn't expect as many "regular" riders to be right-foot dominate as well.

For, me, as I have noted, I think my right-knee ACL surgery had intervened in my board stance..., as I used to skateboard goofy and can ride a surf-board either goofy or regular.

I think now that I SHOULD have added a place for right-handed and left-handed in this poll, as I have a sneaking suspicion that the few respondees that checked "left-foot kicking" (17%), are also left-handed. That would correlate pretty well with the national ratio of left-handed to right-handed.

Interesting, nonetheless.

I'm ambidextrous with writing and with my feet (played semi-pro soccer back in the day) but I typically ride "regular" when surfing, snowboarding and skating.

I'm really not sure the point of all of this...people ride the way they feel comfortable. IMHO.

<!-- / PAGENAV POPUP --> <table class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="4"> View Poll Results: Regular or goofy and right or left handed? </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="50%"> Regular and right handed </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%"> bar2-l.gifbar2.gifbar2-r.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center">102</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">48.34%</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="50%"> Regular and left handed </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%"> bar3-l.gifbar3.gifbar3-r.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center">15</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">7.11%</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="50%"> Goofy and right handed </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%"> bar4-l.gifbar4.gifbar4-r.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center">78</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">36.97%</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="50%"> Goofy and left handed </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%"> bar5-l.gifbar5.gifbar5-r.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center">16</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">7.58%</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tfoot" colspan="4" align="center">Voters: 211. You have already voted on this poll</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<!-- NAVBAR POPUP MENUS -->

<table class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="4"> View Poll Results: Regular or goofy stance? but which is primary foot? </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="50%"> Regular, but kick w/ right foot. </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%"> bar2-l.gifbar2.gifbar2-r.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center">20</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">51.28%</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="50%"> Regular, but kick w/ left foot. </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%"> bar3-l.gifbar3.gifbar3-r.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center">4</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">10.26%</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="50%"> Goofy, but kick w/ right foot </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%"> bar4-l.gifbar4.gifbar4-r.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center">13</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">33.33%</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" width="50%"> Goofy, but kick w/ left foot. </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%"> bar5-l.gifbar5.gifbar5-r.gif </td> <td class="alt1" title="Votes" align="center">2</td> <td class="alt2" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">5.13%</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tfoot" colspan="4" align="center">Voters: 39. You have already voted on this poll</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

I'm really not sure the point of all of this...people ride the way they feel comfortable. IMHO.

I think there is. I ride with allot of regular footed riders. I had assumed that the goofy foot riders would be made up of more left handed people then regular riders. According to the poll that is not the case at all.

What's with you freaks that write right and bat left. Did you get the strap every time you put the pen in your left hand? :smashfrea :)

When you do the "slide test" you are mostly supported by your back leg. So it makes sense that people tend to choose the stronger one to go in back: regular is right foot back so probably right leg dominant. Why this carries over to a snowboard or skateboard I don't know.

Actually when I first got on a "modern" snowboard I felt I had more control goofy. Maybe because skateboarding reflexes didn't get in the way (or they did, but I was vigilant about not letting them mess me up).

goofy@snow (for 11yrs), regular@skate (for 30yrs)

go figure)

My sweetie's 14 year old son is exactly that way too - but he just started snowboarding a couple of weeks ago! :)

Hey, Alaskan Rover - you forgot an option on your poll.... I ride goofy, but in my dreams I ride regular. After a particularly vivid dream, I'll get to the slope and spend a looong strange moment trying to figure out which foot to put forward. :smashfrea