Note to New Members ×

What exactly is titanal?

jtslalom

After watching the olympic Bx and how most riders are riding Kessler boards made it perfectly clear that they must be superior boards. After listening to many conversations and watching people ride I realize that this titanal construction really seems to work but what exactly is it? This article really technically sums it up.

http://hardbooter.net/serendipity/index.php?/archives/10-Titanal.html

Well I cannot disagree more. Do you really think if these boards were so superior, the other manufactures would be not able to do reverse engineering on them?:smashfrea (Reverse engineering is nice term which is used when you copy your competition products.) It would take probably only a couple days to get full picture about dimensions materials and how is it all put together. I think there is something different than product superiority. Can I guess money?:rolleyes: Titanal is fancy name for aluminum alloy made by AMAG.

Well I cannot disagree more. Do you really think if these boards were so superior, the other manufactures would be not able to do reverse engineering on them?:smashfrea

Obviously they do, but the builders doing reverse engineering are always behind. Much of the design of most of our recently built freeride boards is directly copied from the boards and board makers winning World Cup races.

Ladia,

Maybe the word superior is a little much but boards made with this technology are showing up all over the place in bx. Now I don't know my @$& from my elbow but if alot of bx racers are winning with these boards I would think that there must be something special about them.

Donek makes them also.

Does Donek use Titanal I wonder? I remember Sean saying something about having to use up a supply of thicker metal first. Doesn't the AMAG stuff come in a narrower cut or something, that Kessler/SG/Coiler/etc. use? 3mm?

Of course maybe it's just the same stuff in a different thickness? Titanal is a trademark but I'm sure other people make the same stuff....

greg

I'm surprised the Oxess boards are so good because they certainly don't look impressive. You just have that carbon topsheet, they sort of look shoddy.

yeah, their geometry is similar to the new boards though it's not JUST the metal, shape is a big part

Well I cannot disagree more. Do you really think if these boards were so superior, the other manufactures would be not able to do reverse engineering on them?:smashfrea (Reverse engineering is nice term which is used when you copy your competition products.) It would take probably only a couple days to get full picture about dimensions materials and how is it all put together. I think there is something different than product superiority. Can I guess money?:rolleyes: Titanal is fancy name for aluminum alloy made by AMAG.

titanal boards have $100 premium from one builder, seriously, you're trolling right now.

we all know what the alloy is, perhaps if you stopped talking down to us you'd get more people to listen.

Does Donek use Titanal I wonder? I remember Sean saying something about having to use up a supply of thicker metal first. Doesn't the AMAG stuff come in a narrower cut or something, that Kessler/SG/Coiler/etc. use? 3mm?

Of course maybe it's just the same stuff in a different thickness? Titanal is a trademark but I'm sure other people make the same stuff....

greg

More like 0.3mm.

It is just like anything else. They will make you what you want as long as you pay for it. You either end up with a bunch or it is really expensive. Otherwise you are stuck with what they have.

The noise thing is interesting. when I tried Scuff's spare Kessler, he said the first thing you'll notice is the sound will be be different. Since then, I've been gate judging at junior slalom ski races. When you are listening for it, you can hear the difference between skis, depending on how much titanal is them (I assume).

BobD

Well I cannot disagree more. Do you really think if these boards were so superior, the other manufactures would be not able to do reverse engineering on them?.

It is alot hard to reverse engineer a snowboard than you think it is..... By reverse engineering you can easily find out what the board is comprised of. But then you have a sidecut with multiple radii in them, then you need to get the flex right for each radius in the edge. And after you find all of that out it is still hard to make an O.K. replica without understanding WHY.

More like 0.3mm.

It is just like anything else. They will make you what you want as long as you pay for it. You either end up with a bunch or it is really expensive. Otherwise you are stuck with what they have.

Yes you're right, I think it was .3mm.

I believe the "other stuff" (non-Titanal?) was 0.5 or something.

greg