Note to New Members ×

Any tips to keep your edges from rusting?

Zone

With 3+ boards, a bunch of skis from the family, skates, etc...rust is a pain in the derrière. Even after wiping the edges clean, it seems unless I leave the gear in the car on very cold days, even the cold garage produces enough condensation on cold edges to induce rust.

I sometime apply car rust proofing oil on them, but am afraid it will damage the base or the board somehow.

Any good tips out there, short of stainless steel (Bruce?) or titanium (Bruce with $$$:eek:)?

With 3+ boards, a bunch of skis from the family, skates, etc...rust is a pain in the derrière. Even after wiping the edges clean, it seems unless I leave the gear in the car on very cold days, even the cold garage produces enough condensation on cold edges to induce rust.

I sometime apply car rust proofing oil on them, but am afraid it will damage the base or the board somehow.

Any good tips out there, short of stainless steel (Bruce?) or titanium (Bruce with $$$:eek:)?

You can keep the boards inside the house. Lower humidity and more constant temps will yield much less condensation. If that's not an option, I suppose you could rig up a de-humidifier box large enough to store your equipment in. I'd recommend using Damp Rid or a similar dessicant. It's cheap and available at any home improvement store.

The enclosure doesn't need to be air tight to be fairly effective. Even a cardboard box large enough to fit your equipment and a bucket of the Damp Rid would probably work pretty well.

I am guessing this is for winter and not for storage?

I plan to use vaseline. I think ppl just leave wax on the edge for storage and it works well.

As long as we keep oxygen out; it shouldn't rust.

--

David

Yes for winter, summer does not seem to be a problem with a waxing where I leave a coating of wax on the edges after the last run of the season.

Ti for edges maybe not such a good idea. SS could be intresting but it is probibly too brittle.

How about a ipe down with some minerial oil? On sail boats they als just leave a low wattage light bulb on in the enclosed area to keep it warm enough to avoid the condensation, west marine has cool trays that hold the water from desicant.

dehumidifiers are basicly small a/c units so...

for longer term storage if you can compleatly cover the edges with wax then there will be little rust forming.

Ti for edges maybe not such a good idea. SS could be intresting but it is probibly too brittle.

How about a ipe down with some minerial oil? On sail boats they als just leave a low wattage light bulb on in the enclosed area to keep it warm enough to avoid the condensation, west marine has cool trays that hold the water from desicant.

dehumidifiers are basicly small a/c units so...

for longer term storage if you can compleatly cover the edges with wax then there will be little rust forming.

My old T6 has stainless edges. There are many, many alloys that are still called stainless steel, with widely varying properties. Burton seems to have found an alloy that is easy to tune, not brittle, and never rusts. I don't know why more manufacturers don't do this.

I am guessing this is for winter and not for storage?

I plan to use vaseline. I think ppl just leave wax on the edge for storage and it works well.

As long as we keep oxygen out; it shouldn't rust.

--

David

Are you sure that petroleum products aren't seeping into the porous structure of the P-tex and affecting wax absorption. The P-tex next to the edge seems especially vulnerable because it's the most abused, and tends to get the wax sucked out of it so quickly. I don't know if it'll harm the base, but I wouldn't do it to my boards until I found out for sure.

I'd rather have a rusty edge (that I can clean off quickly with a gummi stone) than a base that won't absorb wax.

We use queequeg's solution on every board we make. As we grind the board and always fail to squeegy off all the moisture rusting edges is common. The easiest solution is a stick of parafin wax in the finish area. Every edge gets a rub when grinding is finished and we don't see the rust.

http://liquidlatexonline.com/solidcolorbodypaint.aspx

Liquid Latex. I use 3 coats. use a foam brush on the edges for storage. It peals right off.

Occasionaly I use a product called "FLUID FILM". its a deep penetrating rust inhibitor like WD-40 oil.

After racing or doing a park session (courses and features are set with salt and calcium chloride at times) and ALWAYS after going home with the boards on top of a car (exposed to road salt) I rinse the boards in my shower stall and wipe them down.

Adds a whole new level of "loving caress in the shower"... with your GF for a 3-some... :eplus2::1luvu:

I rinse the boards in my shower stall and wipe them down.

Adds a whole new level of "loving caress in the shower"... with your GF for a 3-some... :eplus2::1luvu:

Sorry, we usually don't do family showers. Nice suggestion if you're at the GF stage though!:lol:

I keep my boards inside, I wipe off my boards and especially the edges after I ride, I run a diamond stone over the edges before I put my board away for the day so its ready to go the next time I need it, and I have never had a problem with rust on the edges doing it this way. The only time I have ever had rust on my edges is when I would not take a board out of its snowboard bag after a day on the hill. I may be wrong but I think your problem is in how you are treating your equipment more than anything else. Keep your boards inside, don't let them 'air dry', and get them off the ground and on to a rack system and you should be fine.