Note to New Members ×

Please stop with the spoilers

ride247

TT, why not just move the guy's post and bury it in the most obscure category? Better yet, just delete it. OH THATS RIGHT, YOU CAN'T. ANYMORE.

Not that I entirely disagree with you, but maybe such posts could use titles like; "don't look if....."

If you really wanted to have some influence over what's posted here perhaps you should have behaved appropriately in the past and retained your mod priveleges

TT, why not just move the guy's post and bury it in the most obscure category? Better yet, just delete it. OH THATS RIGHT, YOU CAN'T. ANYMORE.

Not that I entirely disagree with you, but maybe such posts could use titles like; "don't look if....."

If you really wanted to have some influence over what's posted here perhaps you should have behaved appropriately in the past and retained your mod priveleges

Actually, for my goals I behaved quite appropriately. :biggthump I don't want influence over what is posted. I just think the arrogance of people complaining about spoilers because it will ruin thier night of tv is really funny.

Most of us don't think you are going to crawl out from under your rock just to be an a s s h o l e.... I guess we were wrong.

How does what you quoted relate to what you typed? Also, what crawled up your a ss and died? :biggthump

I don't know, I was in kind of a hurry.;)

Fair enough.

In ALL other forums I am part of, Not warning of a spoiler is a ban-able offense.

Really? Not denying it, just never heard of it, seems silly.

You gotta admit though. You haven't been very active lately, then this? Kinda crappy.:nono:

I wasn't aware there is a required number of posts before posting a spoiler? I will try to post more before tomorrows spoilers! :biggthump

while we're here on the subject of trying to put in our opinions and change policy here, i'd like to voice mine.

it'd be nice not to have spoilers in thread titles.

next, thread titles created such that one not wanting spoilers would know not to open it are nice; otherwise (including in threads not with an olympic event as the main subject), it would be great for someone to include a spoiler warning at the beginning of a post or at least two line breaks from said spoiler. spoiler warning at the beginning of an OP is also good enough warning for one to stay out of a thread.

hope to make a relevant analogy. i'm also a heavy lurker of a videogame forum that has a forum section for each individual videogame (gamefaqs, probably the biggest videogame forums on the internet), and it uses the above rules, applying to all spoilers from any videogame, even if that game's subforum is not the one being posted in, and regardless of the age of any videogames in question.

i can't imagine those forums being able to thrive at all without spoiler control. people in the game having trouble can still read the forums, reading/searching/asking/contributing for tips/hints/solutions and easily be able to avoid spoilers, while those who don't mind or would actually like to know a large event can just read ahead.

to me, coming across the PGS results in a thread title would feel very analogous to having a big event in a videogame spoiled to me (though i often don't mind that happening, and don't REALLY care if the PGS results get spoiled, but still prefer to be able to catch the action without knowing rankings ahead of time). having the above rules enforced for maybe a few days or something after an event would be sweet.

I just think the arrogance of people complaining about spoilers because it will ruin thier night of tv is really funny.

really? sounds absolutely reasonable to me, at least until after initial airing has finished in their area.

Yeah, posting spoilers in the thread *title* where you can't miss it is considered bad etiquette all over the internet.

It's just conventions. People know to avoid online news sites because they know the score of the superbowl will be plastered on the front page, but forums are generally safe because people don't do that or they get teh banhammer.

I just think the arrogance of people complaining about spoilers because it will ruin thier night of tv is really funny.

Arrogance is a pretty harsh word for that. Also, in this case, you have it backwards. One person posting a spoiler can ruin many, many other people's experience.

One person posting a spoiler can ruin many, many other people's experience.

ye. at the small cost of a couple seconds and a few extra keystrokes, everyone remains happy, and it doesn't keep those in the know from sharing enthusiasm and talking it out with everyone else who has seen the results.

Olympic BX finals: She fell right before the finish line , even tho she had a huge lead, she hot dogged the last jump and bounced out of 1st place !!!

WHAT :confused: so why is everyone looking at me like that > :mad:.

Ok, It must be my dial up its a little slow , but at least I didn't spoil it for those of you just getting home to watch it , it is 06 right , LOL :biggthump

Please stop with the spoilers, i know alot of us have been avoiding online news so we can watch it on TV

uhh, dude, get off the internet.

***KKKKKK! I'm about to say TT is right. he as usual is less than diplomatic but I'm not either.

really, as much as any of you might not like it, he's right.

fun reading though, thanks everyone!

I used to get REALLY upset several years back during the TDF with the spoilers......

Now, agree with the "it's the internet". You simply can not avoid going anywhere, including BOL, and hearing real time updates before the TV broadcast.

If spoilers bum you out....it's best to simply avoid internet, SMS, email, etc.

I think it is an issue of personal responsibility.

Is it the fault of the spoiler poster?

Is it the fault of the person visiting the site?

There is no rule against it here.

I think people who actively come here and read something they don't want to read and then blame other people about it lack responsibility. They came here on their own.

I think somebody who has responsibility would think "duh, guess I shouldn't have come to this site" and then go away. (not post about it)

But what do I know, I don't follow sports or watch much tv.

Who knew people would get so cranky about it! :biggthump

So,

now that it has aired on prime Time TV are we allowed to discuss the race?:smashfrea

well, IMO probably not for some. what if they tivoed it?

honestly, why are you guys bitching here? write NBC a nastygram for not carrying this live like every other network in the world does/did?

Did Jay have something to do with this?

The idea of calling something a spoiler because it has not yet been shown on TV is a dated concept. I don't watch TV, have no idea when things are scheduled, and am not going to worry about discussing something that has already happened.

If you don't want to know before you see it on TV, don't look at the internet.