Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

Seb if you take your plate to the drill press and fill it full of holes like they do with brake rotors on racing machines you can shed a pile of weight and not affect the strength reducing the mass is always good. If you made these by hand it will take a lot of work but i think you will find it worth the effort. If it's CNC well sit back and watch or do a vid and post the picture people always like to watch someone or something do the work for them.;)

I understand your point but i'm not one of the people who thinks the lighter it is the better it is! If I drill tones of holes in the plate anyway they will be full of snow in them after a run. That's something you need to take in count. Like Apex it always getting full of snow under it and you need to take it off after each runs or it interact with the flex and in spring snow it get really heavy and with this plate I almost not getting any snow stick under it. That's just my thinking...I respect yours!....And I squat 400lbs I hope I can ride a 20pounds board haha just kiding

What would you say is upper limit for weight of a plate setup?

Do you mean the weight of the total board, plate and bindings? In my experience this is more relevent.

Currently I am more concerned about height. I personally prefer setups that do not get too "tall".

When I had TD3s on my Kessler/Hangl or Vist setups I started to feel like it was counter productive on some plane.

This is another reason I am using TD2 bases on my Tinkler plate systems where I can. In the final analysis I seek the balance

between flex-travel-dampening and height-weight. Or, arriving at the result with the simplist, least complicated, cleanist setup.

What would you say is upper limit for weight of a plate setup?

I think it would be personal preference I mean i'm pretty sure alot of riders would not like my plate cause of the weight and some would like it. I'm not saying we are trying to get it as heavy as we can i'm just saying there is no big deal about the weight of a plate as long as you can handle it! You need to take in count that this is not a recreational setup it's a race setup so riders are really strong and agile...Like Benjamin Karl is plate setup, i'm pretty sure is heavier and/or about the same weight as mine and he won the Overall world cup this year. At the end I think there is advantage to be light and there is advantage to be heavy too...

Industrial strength looking plate Seb!

The durability of the pivots/bearings in these plates is going to be an emerging issue, especially after you pay $1000+ for one. Anyone designing them had better either source a sealed lubricated bearing that works well at sub-zero temperatures OR reflect/read up on why orthopaedic surgeons don't use steel on steel, or steel on aluminium, for their unlubricated hip joint replacement joint surfaces.

Kia ora, and welcome to Aotearoa.

Watch a little top class rugby series that is on at present between the best 3 nations in the world (Australia / New Zealand / South Africa - in alphabetical order, bragging rights before next year's World Cup will be decided by the outcome). Take care on our gravel surfaced skifield access roads. Best of luck for the FIS Junior Champs at Treble Cone in Wanaka.

SunSurfer

Watch a little top class rugby series that is on at present between the best 3 nations in the world (Australia / New Zealand / South Africa - in alphabetical order, bragging rights before next year's World Cup will be decided by the outcome).
bwa-hahaha. even scotland can win against australia. ;)

Industrial strength looking plate Seb!

The durability of the pivots/bearings in these plates is going to be an emerging issue, especially after you pay $1000+ for one. Anyone designing them had better either source a sealed lubricated bearing that works well at sub-zero temperatures OR reflect/read up on why orthopaedic surgeons don't use steel on steel, or steel on aluminium, for their unlubricated hip joint replacement joint surfaces.

SunSurfer

That's what we test last year with the prototype and we are pretty sure we found the solution cause yes we had problem with this but it is resolved...im pretty sure...And I didn't pay a $ for it my friends dad just wanted me to put sticker on it in return:D

[quote name=

The durability of the pivots/bearings in these plates is going to be an emerging issue' date=' especially after you pay $1000+ for one. Anyone designing them had better either source a sealed lubricated bearing that works well at sub-zero temperatures OR reflect/read up on why orthopaedic surgeons don't use steel on steel, or steel on aluminium, for their unlubricated hip joint replacement joint surfaces.

SunSurfer[/quote]

Stainbless against self lubricating plastics like UHMW and Delrin work well. So far we've seen little wear with the UHMW, but may try some delrin too.

Joint replacement surfaces have been almost universally UHMWPE on medical grade stainless steel alloy for many years. These types of surfaces have the best track record for wear so far.

Recent advances for hip joints are steel ball femoral components onto highly polished, precision ceramic cups. It will be a number of years before it is seen how well these last. Some of the early model ceramic cups fragmented inside the patient once in use.

Increasing the bearing surface area also slows the rate of wear as point loads decrease.

SunSurfer

• 3 weeks later...
drool.

Yes indeed, I would love to give it a go!! Knowing the quality of his designs and construction, I am sure it would be a dream ride.

I had the extreme pleasure of riding the Tinkler 222cm of DD's.(The Big Kahuna) It was tuned and waxed to perfection (as is everything he owns) it was amazing!!! I swear it was like I was in slow motion , although I could tell by all the objects blurring that I was going REALLY fast :eplus2: There were times I would swear It had perpetual energy, you know , going up hill, not slowing down on the flats, that sort of thing. "Altered State" Good fun!! :biggthump

Yes indeed, I would love to give it a go!! Knowing the quality of his designs and construction, I am sure it would be a dream ride.
i think the ideal .. piste, for that sort of skwal would be a snowbound alpine pass that just happened to have had a groomer pack down. oh. and no tunnels.

it is a skwal, right? looks less than 16cm in the middle.