Note to New Members ×

Eating at your mountain

Sultan Guy

What is your eating styale at the mountain?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What is your eating styale at the mountain?

• I always eat out. When I carve I treat myself.
    • About half and half. Try and balance cost.
    • A few times each season on special occasions.
    • Never. I love PB and J. I take pride in carving on a shoestring.

Seldom do I see the inside of the lodge. They could gut it and raise chickens inside and I wouldn't notice. :eek::lol:

Install a full court basket ball court, fill it with foam rubber and make a jump pit, dig it out and install a swimming pool, insall a skate park. etc (you get the idea)

Get there EARLY, ride hard from first chair till one or two oclock - off to work. Eat on the chair if I need to . Sub Way on the way to work FIVE DOLLAR FOOT LONG:1luvu: Talk on the chair lift please. No stopping to chat dig?

Note: I appreciate being fed on the chairlift ;) :1luvu::biggthump I miss Ed's generous "Big Bite" or half a PB&J toasted san.

:biggthump That is the way it's done :biggthump

I try to take lunch with me, because I'm with Cindy - I hate paying eight bucks for a nasty cheeseburger. I make exceptions for spring at Louise, when they have the outdoor grill fired up on the Kokanee deck - that's worth the money for the burger, because they rock. And I have to admit that the sweet potato fries upstairs at Nakiska, lashed with cinnamon and maple syrup, are pretty damn good.

I'm happy to murder breakfast, take a Larabar on the lift and eat after I'm done for the day. If I stop for lunch, I'm normally only good for 2 runs after. The legs go on strike and the centre of gravity shifts ... not good.

When I pack lunch to the hill it is usually a bagel sandwich in my pack and I ride with it until it gets eaten. With my skills (or lack thereof)... bagels are the bread of choice because they withstand the abuse of being around my riding.

A couple years ago I did a trip to Idaho on the cheap by getting a bunch of single serving 'cup-o-noodles' and packs of hot chocolate, etc. Ride with the dry (lightweight) food til lunchtime. It was nice to take a break and get warm food inside myself.

Recently I've started carrying nuts, favoring 'pi-smash-ios' (so named because of my riding style)

I'm happy to murder breakfast, take a Larabar on the lift and eat after I'm done for the day. If I stop for lunch, I'm normally only good for 2 runs after. The legs go on strike and the centre of gravity shifts ... not good.

+1. I'm worthless after stopping, going inside, getting cooled down, and filling up on food. Cliff bars in an inside pocket so they don't freeze, chocolate and dried fruit or GORP in an outside pocket, and I'm good to go. My riding days are usually only 9 to 1, maybe 9 to 2 on a longer day, so there's no real need to stop for lunch.

OK, I'm going to be dating myself here but, I think this concept has served me well for well over 30 years. In the old Skateboarder magazine Curtis Hesselgrave had a few columns in which he discussed (what would now be called skateboard tech) being able and ready to skateboard. Specifically, he wrote about keeping your weight 'underside'. Meaning, to only tighten and constrict those muscles necessary for skating. Otherwise, the skater was to keep his/her body loose and flexible by not tightening the muscles unnecessarily. By doing this, the body weight was perceived more as being underneath an upheld arm or hand and would give more freedom of movement if the body were upset by an obstacle.

In another column, Hesselgrave spoke of fasting (going without food) before a skate session. Apparently, from his exposure to the martial arts, he had learned that putting food in the body has a tendency to raise the center of gravity of the human body. He identified the CG as 2 inches below the belly button. Which is where I have a tattoo of the internationally-recognised symbol of CG (a circle with alternating 45 degree pie-shapes in either black or yellow). Anyhooo, I've always tried to skate while fasting. When I do, I notice a more pronounced flow and sharpness to the session.

When I have applied this same concept to snowboard sessions, I've almost had the same experience. When I fast, I'm quick into the turn, my eyes are bright and sharp, my reflex times are the quickest. When I pound down a breakfast burrito from town on the way up to the hill, I'm lethargic and not on my A game. By mid-day, I'm seeking a blanket and a nap. OTOH, when I fast, I'm good and sharp in the morning and shaking like a leaf (cold, spent, bleary-eyed) in the afternoon. So, I've learned to keep hydrated with water only, keep a gel-stick or some kind of carbohydrate in my gut by 10am. My guess is that the cold temperatures affect performance MORE than in a warm skateboarding session in the summer months. I also stay away from the alcohol until I'm back at the lodge and have removed my feet tourniquets.

For me, alcohol on the hill results in a pounding headache. This could be related to something else like blood pressure, altitude, or lack of hydration. I leave the suds to apres-carving when I can get some pizza and sit by a fireplace.

Mark

heh. doesn't work that way for me. i usually need something in the morning or i won't last 'til lunch. if i want to squeeze the most out of my day or if i'm being pushed hard by riders faster than myself, i have to take a lunch break at some point and eat to regain some strength. otherwise, i'm absolutely weak and worthless by late lunch time and won't be able to keep carving; riding style turns to skids, and my time on the slopes will be maybe 60/40 spent riding to resting. 120#.

I don't eat breakfast. A cup of tea and I'm good to go until 11-ish. I don't see much difference in my riding before or after eating, but I rarely have a big lunch. When I'm competing, I can't even look at food until it's over. But I know most folks have to eat some breakfast ... Moms are appalled at my non-breakfast ways.