Note to New Members ×

Snowmaking and grooming technology

jtslalom

Last weekend ( Sunday into Monday1/24 - 1/25) it rained about 1 1/2 inches at my local resort. The next two days the temps hovered around freezing with no chance to make snow. I went riding on Wednesday 1/27 early evening and noticed that conditions were not that bad. The groomers were able to pull that froozen granular stuff around enough to make it very carvable. This evening (friday 1/29) I went out for two hours and most of the slopes had a nice coat of snow that felt like hardened styrafoam, excellent for carving. I am just amazed at how far grooming and snow making have come in the past 20 years or so. I mean to go from 1 1/2 inches of rain one day and 4 days later have great carving snow is a great thing. My local resort may not be up to date on either snow making or grooming but man they sure do alot with what they got.

I was at Creek this morning and was pleasantly suprised as well.

Looking up one of the trails (pipline) that was not fixed after the rain - damn, some serious damage was done. Three foot deep trenches from runoff. It was bad. But the trails that were fixed up were pretty damn good.

Yeah, sometimes the quality of the grooming has more to do with who does it than anything else.

Here in Central Oregon most everybody goes to Mt. Bachelor and looks down on little Hoodoo but the grooming at Hoodoo is way better than Bachelor. Often at Bachelor the edges from the tiller don't match up and the grooming is sloppy in general.

The grooming at Hoodoo, more often than not, is beautiful and clean. I remember pulling a long heelside carve in a wide spot and looking out over the piste. The grooming was so smooth all the way across that I could have picked any direction and not even needed to look at the surface of the snow.

Like waterskiing on glass. That's the stuff dreams are made of.

We are really lucky at Buck Hill MN. It may be small and occasionally crowded, but the the grooming and snow making are excellent. We had temps in the thirties, and nearly twenty four hours of rain and sleet. They blew some snow for a few days, and it was carvable three days later, very good four days later, and hero five days later. Five days to go from frozen crud, to hero. They really don't need real snow (maybe helps the economics though). The man made snow is so much better for carving, and stands up to high temps and humidity better.

BobD

Was at an RBC snowboard race at Caledon Hills north of Toronto sunday morning -23c groomed to perfection. Some private clubs know how to keep their members happy. Unfortunatly i'm not a member my club has a one year old Prinoth groomer and now has the washboard technique honed to a fine science.Can't wait to see what they have to offer when they figure out how to operate it. I can get a smoother surface dragging the blade on my 250 Skidozer.

Was at an RBC snowboard race at Caledon Hills north of Toronto sunday morning -23c groomed to perfection. Some private clubs know how to keep their members happy. Unfortunatly i'm not a member my club has a one year old Prinoth groomer and now has the washboard technique honed to a fine science.Can't wait to see what they have to offer when they figure out how to operate it. I can get a smoother surface dragging the blade on my 250 Skidozer.

I was there last Friday. Even after the rain the weekend before with no new snow the conditions were pretty good. The grooming was very well done. I hope they invite me back soon. :)

Blue Mountain has amazing snow making and very decent grooming. If I remember correctly they have over 500 snow guns and towers that are fully automated. They groom everyday at 4pm making it the best night skiing in Southern Ontario, then they groom again at night.