Note to New Members ×

boot sizing

yooperluke

Hey all, Im trying to purchase some hardboots. If I follow the mondo conversion i come up with a 26.7......10.5 inches x 2.54= 26.67. When I look at buying from the BOL classifieds Im finding out size 26 is for like a size 9ish shoe. I dont know if advertised size is manufacturer size or mondo or is it the same. So if my street shoe is a 10 1/2, where am I going wrong? As I said, measured foot comes out to 26.67cm.:confused:

Don't worry about your street shoes, you'll be leaving them at the bottom of the hill. If you measure 26.7 then likely you'll be fine in 26.5 size boots, especially if you use good footbeds--they tend to shorten the length of your foot by supporting your arch. You might even find that you fit nicely in a size 26 liner. Worth trying if you like a performance fit. Best of luck.

Then what gives when I was going to buy a pair of raichles on Bol, advertised as a 26-26.5 and i called the guy about the fit. He tells me he wears a 9 and the boots are snug. Hate to hammer the street shoe size thing but a nine is a long way from a 10-1/2. There are no local or even remotley local options for me to actually try a pair of hardboots on. Would ski boot fit parallel hardboot fit?

I don't think it works if you take your shoe size of 10.5 and then just multiply by 2.54 to get a mondo size. I wear a 7.5 shoe and by multiplying by 2.54 I would get a 19.05 mondo. You need to actually measure your foot and disregard street shoe size.

If you add the first 2 numbers of the Mondo size it's pretty close to shoe size. Eg. 26.5=8.5, 27.0=9......

ok wait a second. 10.5 is in inches for measured foot length, as in 10 and 1/2 inches long. not shoe size. According to BOL and the Carvers' Almanac if you multiply the inches by 2.54 you get cm wich = mondo. yes or no? Simple math, I know but some one else try it and tell me what you get and if it works out. Say you have 12 inch long foot x 2.54 = 30.48. So is your mondo size 30. If so then why isnt it working out for a 10 and 1/2 inch foot to be a M26. Keep in mind this info is coming from BOLers Im trying to buy hard boots from... They wear size 26 hardboots and claim size 9ish US shoes. AARRRGH! or am I an idiot? maybe dont answer that thought.:lol:

Just forget about street shoe sizing. It just confuses the issue.

Your Mondo size iz the length of your foot in centimeters, or length in inches x 2.54.

If you measured your foot at 10.5" it gives 26.67cm, that's 26.5 Mondo.

26 and 26.5 is just difference in liners, the boot shell is the same. If the liner is moldable, you are likely to make the 26 work for you, too.

Ski boot mondo is the same as hard boot mondo, so yes, trying ski boots will give you some idea. They have to feel slightly too tight when new. Bear in mind that various manufacturers' shells fit slightly different. Raichle/Deelux seem to run a bit large.

Ask seller to send you a photo of the inside of the LOWER shell. The mondo number is engraved there and should read 26-26.5.

Here is a shot from my Raichle SB's:

I was thinking yesterday that you might be able to try a ski boot to determine general size. I bought my boots without trying first and they were too big. I had to add all kinds of filler and padding to eliminate heel lift.

Head makes both ski and alpine board boots. Who else makes both?

post-8010-141842299817_thumb.jpg

121 and Snowboarder (same boot) Raichles do not have mondo marking on the lower (just looked at an old pair in the garage). Mine are supposed to be 26 and they are marked 7, for watever that means...

Some of the UPZ/UPS and Lowa AT boots do not have the mondo marking, either. Same with old Nordicas.

This is an example of the crap Im talking about. Straight from the classifieds here and posted for for sale on ebay..... pasted from ebay...."Deeluxe track 325 mondo size 27 mens US size 9. 07/08 model." WTF! is it a 27 or isnt it, and if it is then someone please tell me what frickin boot I need?......besides one in the ass. US 10 and a 1/2 wich also measures 10 and 1/2 inches x 2.54 = 26.7mondo or cm what ever.

I measure 10.25" which results in 26 Mondo. I bought 26-26.5 boots and they were WAY big. I saw a post recently that says that there is a two finger rule??? You should be able to get two fingers behind your heel with your bare foot in the shell with no liner. http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=280346&postcount=19 and http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=280453&postcount=20. I could stack three fingers easily.

I don't know what kind of shoes you wear or how wide your feet are. (Ignoring my statement to forget the shoe size) I wear 8 1/2 shoes, but my feet are average width with narrow heels. As said elsewhere, street shoe size is a very loose definition.

I had to take up all kinds of volume with 1/8" shims under the heels and hard foam pads on either side of the Achilles Tendon area stuck to the liners. Before I did that I had heel lift. I tried cinching down the second buckle really tight. That just made my foot hurt from the shells pinching on the sides and still not holding my heels down. Makes riding really hard and unpleasant when your feet are sliding all around and hurt too.

Ski and alpine boots fit differently from street shoes, much closer/tighter.

Often you will need to go down a mondo size from what your foot measures in centimetres. My feet measure 27.6 CM, and I use 26 shell boots (or 26.5 Burtons). Kent was saying in his recent thread, that he goes down two shell sizes. For some people, this doesn't work and they can't down size. Most people buy their first pair of ski,or hard boots to big.

BobD

This is an example of the crap Im talking about. Straight from the classifieds here and posted for for sale on ebay..... pasted from ebay...."Deeluxe track 325 mondo size 27 mens US size 9. 07/08 model." WTF! is it a 27 or isnt it, and if it is then someone please tell me what frickin boot I need?......besides one in the ass. US 10 and a 1/2 wich also measures 10 and 1/2 inches x 2.54 = 26.7mondo or cm what ever.

US shoe size is not measured in inches. It is derived from the English barleycorn measuring unit. Start with size 13 (the largest shoe size available in England in 1324 - size 13 = 13 inches. each size down is one Barleycorn less in length, or 1/3 inch. so a size 10 1/2 shoe implies 13 inches - 2 1/2 barleycorns (5/6 inches) = 12 1/6 inches

edit: 12.166 * 2.54 = 30.90 = mondo 30

but like everyone said, measure your foot in cm and you will have the answer. I wear size 10 1/2 nike, size 10 merrell, size 9 1/2 Tony Lamas, and 27.5 mondo in every ski and snowboard boot I own. US shoe sizes vary greatly by manufacturer. Mondo point boots only vary in width and features.

Hope that helps :eplus2:

US shoe size is not measured in inches. It is derived from the English barleycorn measuring unit. Start with size 13 (the largest shoe size available in England in 1324 - size 13 = 13 inches. each size down is one Barleycorn less in length, or 1/3 inch. so a size 10 1/2 shoe implies 13 inches - 2 1/2 barleycorns (5/6 inches) = 12 1/6 inches

Whitworth? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

:freak3: