Note to New Members ×

Burton Channel

Neil Gendzwill

I sent the Pics and my concerns to Burton through E-Mail 2 Days ago... Less than 24 hrs. later I had been contacted by Tony Berry of Rider Services then Chris Cunningham who runs the Binding Div. at Burton called me to go over what happened and to request that I send the broken bolt to them for a complete analysis. They informed me that I am the FIRST person to shear a Bolt while Riding and that they understand that my confidence in their products could be shaken, and that I could have been seriously hurt. Both offered up sincere apologies and the desire to make sure it does not happen again! I just received another E-Mail from Tony saying they are sending 20 sets of Channel Hardware with extra disk as well...I replaced the Bolts after the Break and yesterday put on the Malamutes and Rode Non-Stops on Spar trying to Break another One :eplus2:...no luck...:biggthump

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 pairs of hardware..Because it never has happened before? Err..:barf:

That reminds me of a post about Volants blowing up and the warranty guys were shocked every time somebody dropped them a line.

Ya, that's a bit of overkill. I think a goodwill gesture like some clothing or schwag would have been more effective.

Reminds me of my '88 Dodge Caravan with the transmission that went bad after 40,000 miles and after the warranty expired. When I reported it to Chrysler, they expressed surprise. So I downloaded about 50 pages of transmission complaints from a site called "dodgesucks.com" and faxed the whole stack to them every hour. Took three days but I got them to pay for a new tranny.

20 pairs of hardware..Because it never has happened before? Err..:barf:

That reminds me of a post about Volants blowing up and the warranty guys were shocked every time somebody dropped them a line.

yeah, but either way it's not that bad. burton IS known for giving away parts. I used to bitch about boot parts to them and they'd send me all sorts of stuff. and large amounts of stuff at that.

So I'm not putting up my Burton channel board on E-Bay because of one report of a bad bolt.

And for bolts getting loose, the only binding that I owned that had that problem was TD2's.

It appears as though you did not appreciate my comment. My intent was not to offend anyone, but rather offer some possibly helpful information. I was not suggesting that you sell your board. I was merely relating what information I have received from a reputable source. My local shop carries Burton for at least 50% of their inventory. They wouldn't have given me tha heads up if there weren't a lot of complaints about the channel system. This also seems to be supported by the 20 sets of replacement hardware Burton sent out. However, if you feel comfortable with the system than by all means use it. It was asked if anyone else had experiences with the channel and even though I have not I felt it pertinent to share this info.

I personally do not ride or buy anything Burton even though I used to own only Burton. This is due to several bad experiences I had with the company and their products. I am not going to get into it and bash Burton at this time. I personally would not feel comfortable having only two screws holding me to the board where if one came off it could spell disaster for my knee. I also weigh in at 215 as opposed to 135 so I need a very durable binding. I am sure that the channel has its benefits to other mounting systems including increased board feel, but it is just not for me.

I think a large part of the problem with the channel setup is when a non-EST binding is used with a board that has the channel.

Sure , You can use a non-EST Burton binding with a channeled board , but keep in mind that you have alot of stress on those two little bolts when using the retrofit disk.

The 3 hole disk is ok but when you cut it down to two smaller bolts in more or less the center of the binding it in no way can be as secure as the traditional setup or an actual EST binding.

I have never had a problem with my EST bindings loosening ,but could see how the retro disk could cause problems because you are securing the binding directly under your foot instead of out to the side ,the way that an EST binding is built.

I love my Burton products , but am not so sure about the 2 bolt retro disk.

Just my 2 bits as a first post.

I noticed yesterday as the sun melted snow on the top of my board riding up the lift how much

water was flowing into the channels to just sit there...also one of the Burton E-Mails asked if I used

a roof rack to transport my board as my pics indicated rust type discoloration on the T-Bolt I broke

while boarding...I believe the major fault of the Channel is WATER sitting in it and corroding the

bolts that hold the bindings to the board. Say you snowboard 10 times a year but drive around with

your board locked on your roof rack to look cool...the third season should be enough time to rust

through the bolts and cause a you a major problem...just a theory :eek:

• 1 year later...

After all was said and done Burton has made the channel WIDER starting on last years boards which allows a larger bolt diameter for added strength. Though last season I rode 130 days on the old narrower channel, I did not have a bolt failure :)

However as someone posted earlier I spend most of my time cruising greens and blues at Milkland...

Burton apologized profusely over the broken bolt and any grief that it may have caused.

They sent me a new Supermodel last spring that has the wider channel and just a month ago sent a new pair of bindings to go with it :) They could not have done anything more except maybe buy this years pass :) Here it is ready to go for Sat. at Snowmass :eplus2:

Kind of sad as this was the last Supermodel to be made, this year they combined the Malolo and Supermodel into the New Barracuda.

Thanks to Burton for making the product stronger and thereby much Safer

(old threads never die).

I used last season's channel a fair bit without issue, with my F2 Intec titanium bindings. The new (2010-2011 season) changes fixed problem I'd had with the previous mechanics - there's a post here about precisely how to sort it out although it's obvious.

The last time I tried to remove the inserts from a board whilst riding my boot and ankle gave out first, and I'm confident the same thing will happen here.

It looks unlikely; I don't need what it offers; and I don't like the proprietary thing, but it works fine. If their boards do what I want, the binding interface is no longer an issue for me.

They sent me a new Supermodel last spring that has the wider channel and just a month ago sent a new pair of bindings to go with it :) They could not have done anything more except maybe buy this years pass :)

That is amazing customer service! Wow.