Note to New Members ×

Any "major" mfgs. besides Volkl?

skategoat

I talked with the regional Atomic Rep at a pro night the other day and asked him if they would continue alpine boards under the Atomic name. He wasn't positive, but he thought they would. Right now they are still producing alpine boards under the oxygen name for sale in Europe(according to him) and that when they get the Atomic name established better they will be making the Alpine boards under the Atomic name as well. The rep used to handle both the ski and snowboard line and now he is only skis, but he seemed pretty confident with what he told me. I haven't had any time to check it out more myself, but I did get the Atomic proform in the mail this week and no Alpine this year.

:rolleyes:

I know that the Hot boards are not readily available here in the US, but I believe they are available in Canada...just outside of Montreal is a dealer that carried Hot/Hammer snowboards. Almost made a road trip up the to get one! But this was a few seasons ago. Might be a different story today.

What´s nice with F2 is the fact that they make 5 different models of Alpine/carvingboards for hardboots for this season. And they sell quite a big number of boards. That must by far make them the biggest player in the alpine market. HOT just makes 2 models: SL and GS board for example.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Day

I know that the Hot boards are not readily available here in the US, but I believe they are available in Canada...just outside of Montreal is a dealer that carried Hot/Hammer snowboards. Almost made a road trip up the to get one! But this was a few seasons ago. Might be a different story today.

You can also find Hots online at www.blue-tomato.com

Although, with exchange rates not in our favor (for US folks), you can actually pick up a custom built board for less money.

A few years ago I found a Hot Blast on consigment at a local shop for only $75!!! The board is slightly beyond it's prime, but it still rips and is a joy to ride.

Nidecker is still pretty strong in the alpine sector. Only three models now: SL, GS and Proto (all-mountain carver) - but still very committed to producing quality decks. They abandoned their plate binding line a couple of years ago though.

For sure it this season Silberpfiel looks really cool. But the feel of the board is much more of slalom board then the freecarvingboard it was for the last two seasons. Theres a new woodcore - same as in the GS board. So it´s a lot stiffer. But it does not have the same forgiving flex as the GS board which have a big radius and a soft nose and tail. If youre looking for a really snappy and narrow board for 100% commitment - it´s your board.

(Riding Silberpfiel 2 seasons on old construction + a week on 2005 spec board)

Mats

As Gecko mentioned, Ogasaka is a large manufacturer that builds boards and skis under their name and for other brands.

In addition, there are companies like Moss, Gray, Yonex and BC Stream that make both freestyle and alpine boards. See links below:

http://www.pioneermoss.com/mosssnowboards/

http://www.graysnowboards.co.jp/productindex/productindex.html

Note: select a model then click "graphics" at the bottom of the page to see the boards and specs.

http://www.yonex.co.jp/snow/pro2005/index.html

http://www.bc-stream.com/

The prices here are insane (roughly $1000 for a new model board!!) but the quality is primo.

The cool thing is that the manufacturers still offer Alpine boards even though Alpine products account for less than 5% of their sales.

"Carve" magazine for the 2005 season just hit the book stores this week.

Originally posted by Miltie

The cool thing is that the manufacturers still offer Alpine boards even though Alpine products account for less than 5% of their sales.

"Carve" magazine for the 2005 season just hit the book stores this week.

Part of that is (I think) is that Apline boards are owned by the people who don't dispose of their equipment every year (a common enough thing here)

Damn now I have to find a bookstore and find Carve...gee which bookstore's gonna have it????

Originally posted by Miltie

Gecko,

I picked up the Carve magazine at Mana House in Nagoya. Any larger bookstore that carries Snowstyle magazine will probably have it. Hopefully you won't have a tough time finding it in Yokohama.

Oh I know at least 3 here in Yokohama that will, I'm just headed south to Yokosuka this morning to get a new Sageo and Obi for Iaido class and I acan only think of one decent bookstore down there.