Note to New Members ×

Head trauma

lowrider

Two seperate cases of "concussion" over two weekends one race related, one practice related medically confirmed and treated. Is this a high rate for a group of approx.14 racers 10 of which have 3 or more years of racing experience.Conditions are man made boiler plate as we haven't really had a decent snowfall yet for 2010.Any other teams having similar bad luck? What is best practice when it comes to reusing or replacing helmet after one impact. New helmets this year one impact no scratches no cracks or damage to liner foam. Replace or reuse?

Replace the helmet. Period.

Ask those around you to keep a keen eye on you. Ask them to watch for personality changes. Multiple BTI is compounding, and often doesn't show up for some time. Rest and make sure there is not another impact in the next 6 months at least. Really!!!

To be clear, different racers? You?

Ahh blue ice, you get the grey ice yet? you know when it mixs with dirt

I don't miss those days

drooling vs 80 dollar helmet,

80 dollars vs a trip to the ER,

80 dollars = a small piece of mind.

wife went through 3 last year, 2 racing, 1 free sking,

I was clipped by a kid and head hit a sign, and so 1 for me.

What I have seen as a new trend is, a light hat underneath helps with keeps the head warm and also adds a small amount of padding on slower hits.

there are some people that say learning to crash right, can save your body.

6 broken arms/wrists, 4 ribs, 2 popped shoulders, 1 partial collapsed lung, ripped rotater cuff, 2 ankles, 1 hyper extended ankle, fingers and toes...LOts tons of stitches

Been shot twice, as well

Gear does matter, armour up, blue ice is considered harder then pavement. would you ride a motorcycle without proper gear, if so don't drool on the my carpet you will mix with the wax.

Replace or factory repair. Not even a question... don't hesitate. Sometimes the damage is not visible to the human eye.

My spouse, the neuroscientist, concurs.

As for falling... karate or judo classes. (Not kidding in the least.) Too many people take this skill for granted thinking they must be born with some innate ability to fall. (Note- Humans are not born with an innate ability to fall.)

Once falling becomes a trained reaction the chance of injury is far less.

So says the guy who's never been seriously injured skateboarding (34 years- owned a skatepark once), surfing (30 years-you do need to know how to fall in dumping shorebreak or really big surf) and doing all sorts of stupid stuff since I was old enough to do stupid stuff but thanks his lucky stars his parents took him to judo & karate classes oh so long ago.

...or, learning how to fall. Lon: in the old Skateboarder Magazine from the mid-1970's (I'm really dating myself here) Curtis Hesselgrave wrote one or two columns on falling. Falling is a part of board sports, period. I took local Ki-Akido classes just to learn how to fall. Keeping weight underside, breathing exercises were all part of the drill. A few summer months in my youth spent learning how to fall has served me well for many years now. All of this still doesn't mean that you can stop your head from slamming the snow at speed. Your head is full of fat and meat, brains, and some limited common sense. Well, some of us have that. :)

With the availability of affordable helmets, it is a tragedy that there are so many brain trauma injuries that end up in death. As an aside, I try and make sure that I have some redundancy in my snowboarding equipment. I take extra gloves, goggles, shell jacket, and helmet. I consider these things a part of my overall cost of being a snowboarder. I often take extra boots and boards when I'm the wagon-master. And I rotate the stock every so often to make sure it's not worn out. Especially, the helmets.

In over 30-plus years of surfing, skateboarding, and snowboarding, I've had my bell rung a few times and I know that a helmet, though not always a life-saver, is invaluable in saving myself from minor and major head dings.

Carve safe,

Mark

I agree with the advice here. Replace the helmet. Certainly, don't just reuse. I never even thought about testing the helmet I dented (on a fall that broke my right collarbone and bent my Volant 173). Frankly, I didn't even know you could send them back for testing.

Rest up, and take care - and I'm with Brian, make sure someone is watching/checking you.

[by the way, did anyone else like the band Helmut? I thought Meantime had some good "get you fired up" tracks.]

Thanks for the input just the kind of opinions i was hoping for . As a second issue our team always gets the race couse after the alpine skiers, as a result the gates we set are usually in the slough of the previous course as well as out of phase with their gate placement. Any suggestion to resolve this issue or a polite tactic we can use to convince management the snowbouard team deserves the same safe course skiers use ??

I vaguely remember reading a study from the NFL just a few years back and they found brain lesions on the quarterbacks brain after scans 1 lesion / bruise for each concussion after following the carriers of quarterbacks.

From what I remember the NFL has a mandatory retirement after 17 brain lesions / 17 concussions.

Didn't an actress die after she bonked her head and didnt go in for observation, because she was fine, "but" an epidural or sub arachnoid hematoma ( swelling of the brain ) can develop 1 to 2 hours later and that is what killed her.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve in Oregon,

yes there was. Natasha RICHARDSON.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29733775/

and my own stories. i've had several falls in cycling, road and downhill, and have replaced several helmets. i'm still talking and able to talk without drool coming out.

a friend of mine, who just started wearing a helmet last year, had a close encounter with a tree and a perfectly inelastic collision with a little broken branch that penetrated the plastic shell and into the foam. he is a true believer in helmets now as he figures that the branch would have penetrated his melon.

Steve in Oregon,

yes there was. Natasha RICHARDSON.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29733775/

and my own stories. i've had several falls in cycling, road and downhill, and have replaced several helmets. i'm still talking and able to talk without drool coming out.

a friend of mine, who just started wearing a helmet last year, had a close encounter with a tree and a perfectly inelastic collision with a little broken branch that penetrated the plastic shell and into the foam. he is a true believer in helmets now as he figures that the branch would have penetrated his melon.

AMEN! I don't go on board or bike without helmet. My "melon" is sensitive.

It was able to check it few weeks back on icy slop.