Note to New Members ×

Lessons?

modifiede30

PSR to learn solid basics.... you can not go wrong... and solid basics should be learned... even if you are an "Expert". If people ask me to coach them in freecarving.... I always send them to PSR first...ALWAYS. Because after that I get a "known product" to work with.

Beckman later to learn to ride real icy steeps with pure confidence and have bindings dialed. Beckman is awesome.

PSR's solid steering fundamentals are key to good balance and primary turn initiation. He is as thorough as an instructor can be- and knows what is going on - on every single mechanical level. I've even had Eric give me correct suggestions on gear adjustments for soft boots while riding via cell phone...and he could not even see me.

Beckmans students for example.. Tim Flight, and certainly I would assume Jack M. all ride well within their balance zones yet are never afraid to angulate. I would say people who ride with Beckman are not afraid to ride any steepness of terrain and do so without any loss of form and make it look effortless which IMHO is about as close to the pinnacle of riding as you can get- also Beckman's students ride responsibly and in control at all times.

I've worked with people that have worked with Beckman before and they come to me with great balance and focus- likely because its damn icy up there.

Realistically- though I can add some things to people that come from PSR or Beckman I think if you have been instructed by both- you should go directly to someone like Phil Fell if you want to race. We need more American racers. From what I hear Phil is about as dedicated as they come.

It's not that either PSR or Beckman is a better instructor than the other- it's just that both have things to add. Certainly to miss out on either is missing out on something you would rather have than miss, even though either one of them can make you feel ready to start training for Nationals.