Note to New Members ×

Kessler 185 Review

wgarrow

Finally after a few seasons of listening to the hype about Kesslers I got the chance to use a 185 (thanks Billy and Dave at Hardbooter.com). My first reaction by the time I got down to the lift was “Holy Hell!” Here are my stats so you can gauge this review. Riding alpine for over 20 years, 5’8”, 165lbs, goofy foot, with angles of 55 in the front and 50 in the back. I have raced at all levels but much preferred to freeride. I used to get anywhere from 250-300 days a year on snow but now down to about 50 depending on work. The board was set-up with a Vist plate and F2 bindings.

Now on to the important part: the review. I have been riding this board now for about 6 days on snow and this is a beefy, powerful snowboard. Carving performance was unreal, to say the least. Power, energy, no speed limit. For those who are looking for tremendous “pop” from the tail then this isn’t for you but if you really load up the tail then you do get that sensation, just not like an old school glass board. I am not a huge fan of “popping” off the tail and getting sent into the woods so I like softer tail that gives some forgiveness. This is a straight up race board but not like the old race boards that kicked your ass every time you weren’t spot on, it is very forgiving. This combination of power and forgiveness lets you ride anything with confidence. On the first day it was perfect groomers and this board I could relax, or be aggressive, and it responded well to both styles. We ripped race inspired GS turns top to bottom and even through in some Eurocarves for good measure…not to mention some switch riding. The problem with such perfect conditions I can’t fully put this through the paces and it left me wishing that I was back at Whiteface on a blue ice day. On New Years Eve we got up to Snowbasin, which is usually perfect but that it definitely wasn’t that day. My friends from out here said they hit some ice but I just called it good ole hardpack. Coming down the “iciest” part of the run this Kessler didn’t skid a bit, made me feel like Jean Nerva in Chill “you carve, you carve, you carve, you carve…no skid even if it’s icy”

If I hade to have one board this would be it, no doubt. This is especially true with the Vist plate on it. I am going to throw that Vist plate on a Prior very soon to see exactly how much of the feel is influenced by it. I know some freeriders don’t want to ride the Vist or Hangel due to the weight or for whatever other reason but I can tell you that I love the Vist (easier to move from one board to the next) and don’t want to ride without some type of plate system.

This weekend I will be shooting some video to go along with this review and a Park City Mountain Resort review. I was supposed to get some videoing done last week but that didn’t work out. Look for the video being posted over at the Hardbooter.com blog site plus I will try to post it here. Again, a huge thanks to Dave and Billy. See ya on the snow. If you are riding Park City look for me and we will go out make some turns.

Nice. I am working on my own review of Kessler vs. Donek vs. Prior vs. Coiler now. I only have a handful of days on the Kessler so far, but "beefy" and "powerful" are words that have popped into my head while riding the Kessler. As for how it does on eastern conditions... it does very well on rain soaked then frozen then groomed granular.

Buell--Yup I still coach the US Deaf Snowboard Team. We have our Deaflympics 2011 in Slovakia. My goal is for the team to medal 9 of the possible 18 medals for snowboard. Japan is our biggest competition. You going to come to PC anytime?

Jack--I have had the chance to at least take a run on all those and all of them are great in their own right. I thought the Donek (it was a prototype) was real nice especially for a lighter rider. The Prior is what most of my team right now is on. I have always liked how Chris makes a board, maybe the best all mountain race inspired board. I will be riding the Prior PGS board soon. Unfortunately I haven't taken more than 2 runs on the Coiler. The two runs I did take I really liked the way it rode. Will be looking out for your review.

Buell--Yup I still coach the US Deaf Snowboard Team. We have our Deaflympics 2011 in Slovakia. My goal is for the team to medal 9 of the possible 18 medals for snowboard. Japan is our biggest competition. You going to come to PC anytime?

Nice work on continuing to coach the US Deaf Snowboard Team. Half the medals is a big goal. I think the Japanese deaf team was at Timberline in May / June our very first season of carving 5 years ago.

I might be at PC in late February or possibly during the WTC. Otherwise, Rebecca and I just got to Powder Mountain yesterday from Oregon. We'll be here until mid March. We will definitely be carving at Snowbasin sometimes so let us know if you are in the area. I still won't be able to keep up with you though. ;)

today I spent 2 hours getting foamed with Strolz liners and superfeet footbeds- fin sold me some old shells of last years proto which is the 700T

Very curious..... as I have ridden other metals but not this.

the sides of the nose reminds me of the feeling when I looked at the old checker pig 1980's or wild duck boards 1990s when you thought.... hmmmm I bet this will work really welll....

So my quiver, for comparision..

2 original 158 Madds one with Catek step ins (silly as I no longer have step in boots- I have to convert these) , one with TD2 (needs a damping disc and longer screws)

1 F2 roadster w intecs

1 Rossignol Judge 168 with 3 year old Union Force DLX

1 Rossignol Judge 159 with Catek freeride 2

1 Kessler 185 PGS with small plate clip in cateks

1 Kessler 168 BX needs bindings

1 Salomon Sick stick 160--- looks best with matching wood tone Unions. It carves like garbage..a true struggle in futility..but in crud/pow it is unreal.

Stuff to sell..

New in Box david bowie Rome soft bindings.. (I'm a sucker for 70's pop culture)

I can't wait to ride this PGS....

Will.... super fun riding w/ you last year... - what tune is on that Kessler?? I have to figure out what mine needs.

Buell--I will make sure and let you know if I make it up there but I kinda doubt it except if we go up for WTC. Just too busy with teaching plus we are hosting a very big Deaf Studies conference this April. I do get up to PC 3-4 days a week though so let me know if you come down. One of my athletes has his pass at the Basin. Hes a ripper you would have fun riding with him, his name is Jeff. Let me know if you want me to introduce you two.

WinterGold--I will try the SL stick soon...I have heard nothing but great things about it and if it is anything close to the PGS it will rock for sure.

koldo--Yes we have PGS plus three other events, PSL, Boardercross, and Halfpipe. We will be competing at Vysoké Tatry, Slovakia from January 19th-25th. Come on out and introduce yourself..we will go riding. Maybe you can show me a good bar too!

pow4ever--Beefy, I guess what I mean is that this is the first board that I have been on that I didn't feel I could just overpower at will. I just feel that whatever I bring that board will take. Does that make sense? I wish I was still getting that amount of days on snow but a 16yr old daughter takes up too much of my time now haha. I just talked to a guy that will film me and as long as he doesn't get called out to work he will shoot me on Saturday so I should be able to get the video up this weekend.

John--As always it was my pleasure to get out and make some turns with you. I tuned it with .5 base and 2 side with no detune. I never detune my boards. The structure is what it came with, I didn't get a new stone grind. Wax is whatever LF or HF fits the day.

Lee--Shoot me an email and we can set up a time to VP. You coming to PC for the tryouts?

koldo--Yes we have PGS plus three other events, PSL, Boardercross, and Halfpipe. We will be competing at Vysoké Tatry, Slovakia from January 19th-25th. Come on out and introduce yourself..we will go riding. Maybe you can show me a good bar too!

I live about 5 hour from Vysoké Tatry, so hopefully i Ll be able to make it there at that time. Don´t know many bars there, but we will surely find something, that shouldn´t be a problem in Slovakia :biggthump

SilverBullet--Not sure what Catek are selling but this is the KST blacktop board (Got mine over from Dave and Billy at Hardbooter.com)

koldo--I will make sure and keep in touch with you for next year, as soon as I know our race schedule I will let you know so you can plan accordingly. Sounds like Slovakia has good bars

stevo--I haven’t seen that picture in years—thanks for the memories. Comparing my setup in that picture or any glass board to today is completely different so where do I start??? I guess I will start with the boots. Back then I was using race stock Rossignol ski boots that were modified to allow more ankle flexion. It wasn’t softer just more movement. Back then I needed a much stiffer boot since the boards were a lot narrower and stiffer themselves. I do still miss the solid sole on those boots; I wish a snowboard hardboot manufacturer would make their boots with a solid sole. Now I am using either Deeluxe or UPZ, whichever I can get my hands on. With the softer boots I have been able to widen my stance as well. I have always been a big supporter of wide stances, in that picture, if I remember right; my stance width is probably about 19”. Now I ride anywhere from 20.5-21.5. I like having a wide stance for stability while carving and for landing big jumps. Also I always rode flat, no cants or lifts. Now I have been using slight heel lift on the back foot and toe lift on the front foot. Again for me this has to do more with the having everything a lot less stiff. Before I would have to really have a lot of fore movement to initiate the turn whereas now, between the shapes, flex, and plate systems you can stay centered and the boards initiate very easily. This property combined with the dampness of the boards is, in my very humble opinion, the best thing to happen to alpine snowboarding in a very long time. The ease and energy efficiency is revolutionary for me. Makes alpine riding easy and fun. Well it’s always been fun but it used to be a lot more work. As for my angles, I have always used the same principle, as low as I can without overhang. Most of the time I don’t know what angles I ride, just happened for this review I made sure I knew. I hope this answered your question. If not I will try to clarify.

Will - thanks for posting this thread, and for all of the great input. Definitely one of the more useful threads around here lately...

I've been riding riding my 185 Kessler for about 2 1/2 season now, and although I don't have nearly the amount of time or experience as you on plates, my sentiments shadow your exactly. I find the Kessler to be very aggressive and forgiving at the same time. Such a dynamic board. Very damp, yet not flubbery, with a decent amount of pop.

I haven't seen any real hero snow here in CO this year, so most of what I've been riding has been hard boiler plate man made or squishy choppy crud. The Kessler handles it all far better than I do. If I get too sketched out to carve something, it's so easy to skid the tail around to control speed. Very manageable in any conditions.

The one thing I don't like about the board is that it's designed to go down hill. Fast. Meaning, it initiates a turn brilliantly, but doesn't like to finish a turn across the hill - it just wants to go down hill again. I have to work harder than I like to to get it come across. But that is what it's been designed for, and I'm learning to adjust to it.

That's the thing about high quality gear, it makes it easier, not harder. I chuckle when people say "it's a high performance board, it'll hand you your ass if you're not 110%" because the best stuff makes it easier, not harder.

Will - thanks for posting this thread, and for all of the great input. Definitely one of the more useful threads around here lately...

I've been riding riding my 185 Kessler for about 2 1/2 season now, and although I don't have nearly the amount of time or experience as you on plates, my sentiments shadow your exactly. I find the Kessler to be very aggressive and forgiving at the same time. Such a dynamic board. Very damp, yet not flubbery, with a decent amount of pop.

I haven't seen any real hero snow here in CO this year, so most of what I've been riding has been hard boiler plate man made or squishy choppy crud. The Kessler handles it all far better than I do. If I get too sketched out to carve something, it's so easy to skid the tail around to control speed. Very manageable in any conditions.

The one thing I don't like about the board is that it's designed to go down hill. Fast. Meaning, it initiates a turn brilliantly, but doesn't like to finish a turn across the hill - it just wants to go down hill again. I have to work harder than I like to to get it come across. But that is what it's been designed for, and I'm learning to adjust to it.

Michael--I agree this board loves to go fast down the hill. I do not do a lot of crossing the fall line so it really fits me. I am jealous of you riding hardpack, that is the one thing I really miss about Whiteface.

Fastskiguy--I couldn't agree more, these high end boards make life much easier!

Michael--I agree this board loves to go fast down the hill. I do not do a lot of crossing the fall line so it really fits me. I am jealous of you riding hardpack, that is the one thing I really miss about Whiteface.

Hey Will - I'm jealous that you can ride down the fall line on the hard pack! And I'm jealous that you don't have hard pack - that's all we have right now.

Thanks for the video!!! Very informative ... I would love to join your group for a little session :D ...

I´ve heard about some differences between the Kesslers and the SGs from some very competent racers. I´m really looking forward to your comparison ... can´t wait ;) ...

Yes, great vid Will - can't wait to see more!

BTW - what are the differences between the Kessler and SG 185 PGS boards? I've heard the SG's are beefier and more damp, but that's all I've heard. What else? Cheers! mpp