Note to New Members ×

Kessler 185 Review

wgarrow

WinterGold--Anytime you get over to PC let me know and we will go out and rip some turns for sure. The more to join our sessions the better.

Michael Pukas--Not to sure what the differences exactly are but I do believe that the amount of rocker is quite different.

Yesterday I got to test both the Kessler and SG SL boards. It was my first day on a SL board since 92. Between these two i thought the SG had a softer nose but a more solid tail. The Kessler seemed easier to wash out some speed at the end of the turn if needed. Again this was my first day on those boards so that is really just a first impression. I know Billy will be doing a good write up of both soon so check over at http://hardbooter.net/blog/ as well.

The next comparison I will focus on is Kessler stock vs. Kessler custom.

Glad you guys liked the video...We will be shooting a lot more especially after next weekend for me (I am out of town next weekend). We have a guy that is going to shoot for us with some really good equipment so the shaky cam stuff should not happen.

Thanks for your invitation, but that would be a long trip ... :(

The SGs are supposed to be more aggressive and they are stiffer (especially the tail). Therefore they are a bit harder to ride and mistakes are more likely to happen.

What wgarrow said about "washing out some speed" can also happen unintentionally when not pressuring the Kessler correctly (also at the initiation of a turn).

But the Kesslers are more forgiving and easier to steer.

That´s what Austrian Pros said ... but keep in mind that those differences are not really big and both concepts seem to be very successful :ices_ange ...

Thanks for the responses, WG & WG. Ha! I just made that up. sorry for being corny... ahem...

Will - looking forward to hearing more on the SG's, and especially the Kessler v Kessler Custom. Do you know what's different about them? I bought a used Kessler last year from a member here, who got it from a racer, and I have know idea the specs, other than it's a 185 PGS. Oh, and really looking forward to the new vids!

Will, I have a couple other inquiries - what boots are you riding? And can you elaborate on what and why you like the Viste Plate? I gather one of the main benefits is it allows you to keep your stance the same regardless of how the board twists and bends underneath. Cheers! mpp

Michael--I hope this isn't too long.

As for your first question—I have absolutely no idea other than what I can see and touch. It seems stiffer when I flex it in my house and also appears to be thicker under foot. If any of that is right is anybody’s guess. Most of the time I have no idea what my stance width or angles are, not to mention specs of the board I am on. I have never been a stickler about specs, just get me on a board and I’ll try my best to make it turn. Sorry not much more help to you with that.

Now on to your next set of questions. I am riding a pair of last years Deeluxe Track 700 with red BTS kit and Booster straps. These boots are very nice boot but I do think they are a bit soft. I have noticed on the Kessler when I really crank down they don’t seem to have the support (stiffness) that I would like. I will get my hands on a pair of UPZ and when I do I will let you know which I liked better and why.

I will try not to go on and on about the Vist but I must warn you I do think plate systems are a real and tangible improvement to alpine riding, so much so that I would like to test traditional glass board (with the new shape and rocker of course) with a Vist plate to a metal board without a plate. I remember a long time ago we used to dream of having a plate system. Anyway, what I like the best about having the Vist is the amount of leverage it allows me to gain. That leverage puts so much more pressure over the entire length of the edge that it completely changes how you ride. Talk about making it easier, there is no way to compare it, doing top to bottom runs doesn’t wear me out like it used to. I would like to think that I am not wearing out because of all the cross training I do in MMA and racquetball but I honestly don’t think that is the full reason why. Secondly, it allows me to run lower angles. By doing so I feel much more stable and I feel I can react more quickly to changes in the terrain. Just don’t ask me my angles…I would have to go look to find out but the last time I rode the PGS they were 55 in the front and 50 in the back. Lastly, like you said the Vist lets you stance stay the same no matter what the board is doing. I like this because your stance stays canted or not canted (mine doesn’t have cants) to what you like. Without the Vist I am always fighting my knees to stay apart because the board is bending and making my knees fold together. This coupled with the free and natural bending of the board helps with edge pressure (again) and my balance. This is just my humble opinion and for all I know it might be wrong but I can tell you without reservation that if at all possible I will only ride with a plate system and I am in no way a racer. This has made me think, maybe I should/will do a video comparison on one board, a few runs with the Vist and a few runs without it. I hope this explanation was clear…if not or you need me to explain something else just ask away, I am more than happy to answer anything I can.

@Michael - you find my take on the Vist plate (and Flex plate) in the thread "Plates", if you are interested :ices_ange ...

wgarrow, I completely agree with your feelings on the Vist plate, but maybe losing some weight would be a nice touch (as I explained in my thread). Still, I´m mostly on plates now ...

Will,

You almost get that combo (fiberglass + plate + new shapes), on recent Tinklers. The Tinkler plate appears to function pretty similar to Vist with only the middle locked. The bindings are isolated from the board flex and your stance does not narrow up as much when highly flexed. I found the "magic carpet" feeling on Tinklers more isolated and damp than compared to a metal board with no plate (comparing full system Tinkler w/TD3s to a Coiler NSR w/TD3s.)

I next need to get a Vist on the Coiler to do a real comparison.

Will,

I am in LA right now but unfortunately my Tinkler is up at Mammoth. I would be glad to show it to you if I had it here.

Take a look at Doug Dryer's ridiculous 252cm Tinkler for an idea of how it works:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061225/SPORTS05/612250310/1013/SPORTS&nav_category=SPORTS

The top plate is attached to the board only in the middle, allowing for a smooth, kink-free arc. Bindings are only attached to the top plate, not down to the board itself. The snow stix mounting points are slotted so that the entire plate can slide freely as the board flexes. When flexed, the plate slides on the surface, shearing under tension, controlling vibration by way of friction. This plate system, along with snow stix and the split tail/nose, allow for a crazy amount of customization on the fly. I believe Dryer has an even more insane 282cm Tinkler now as well.

Also attached is a picture of the one I own.

If you're in town and want to grab that beer, I'm sure we could round up some of the local carvers if you have some time. It would be great to meet you.

-Neil

post-17-141842299137_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For those missing background information, check out the Kaane report.

Background: The Kaane ruined my left foot with a double forward loop on day 1. Day 2 was spent looking through the village and finding out how I can post the Hot Blast 167 that I sold on extremecarving.com... and praying to all deities to heal my foot as quick as possible. Day 3 saw us on slalom training with my foot taped in very tight and my SG released on a very challenging slalom. The foot was still a little dodgy, but was improving by the minute and by the afternoon (and an hour in bed with my foot up) things were starting to look peachy. The trusty Swoard was taken out of the board bag and the afternoon was spent playing with deep carves. On Day 4 the Kessler Cross was reserved, but the Swoard was providing plenty of joy and the reliability of the known was chosen to regain confidence.

Day 5: this day was planned for Giant Slalom training. The Kessler alpine boards were in high demand, but with my frugal use of the boards, the 185 was MINE ALL MINE for the slalom training!! :D The first few runs were a little tricky and getting the 185 turning was more than I was used to. The trainer was giving me hell for riding like an old lady, but perseverence being the name of the game got me closer to to the 185 with every run. By the end the run was reasonably neat with a nice rhythm coming into the turns at the end of the run. The success story of day 3 was repeated with the hotel only 1 minute walk from the lift. With a half an hour on bed with my feet in the air and shaking out my legs, I was feeling as strong as a bear for the afternoon. The 185 was unleashed on lovely open pistes with much enjoyment. The crisp and predictable behaviour was a warm welcome after the trigger happy Kaane with the machinegun in its pocket. Every turn was super stable with immense edge grip. At no second did I feel that I was going too fast (even though the speeds were rediculous at times!!) On the black slopes with the carves going balistic, it was always possible to up he ante and dig in your rail deeper to get the board to produce fire cracker G forces!! Man what an absolute blast!! This kind of behaviour is what I've come to know and respect in true race quality boards. No unexpected behaviour, no crazy stuff. Just good, dependable and reliable railing at any speed. And if you drive it like a rinoserous, the board will politely let you know that it wants to be treated nicer if it can not handle the abuse. If it can, it'll keep quiet and do its work dilegently. How I wish that the little beauty is affordable enough that I can convince myself to include her in my quiver!! It is most certainly a very fine piece of craftsmanship that is also a magical free carve board when the pistes are empty enough to allow it. A few people are nice, though, to see them stop and stare at this lightning bolt carving trenches in the piste that would shame Catterpillar earth moving equipment.