Note to New Members ×

Forward lean lock mistake...

2Curious

Had an interesting moment today... went up for first tracks at Timberline Lodge this morning, and was greeted with some of the best conditions I'd ever encountered on Mt. Hood. Hero groom all morning without too much of a crowd.

I was just having a blast, and felt like my transitions were smoother and easier than ever. Initially, I thought this was due to the conditions, but about 2 runs in I finally noticed that my snowboard pant leg had crept down and kept open the forward lean mechanism. Apparently my rear boot was not locked forward.

I kept it that way all morning until my tired legs required me to lock it finally, giving me some power again but sacrificing the flexibility I had all morning.

I guess this is what riding with a BTS system is like. I want one. Too bad my boots are not compatible. :(

Sam.

Two 1 mm plastic tabs on the side of the locking mechanism are all that keeps it together in walk mode. Hit something with enough force and they shear off.If your ankles arent strong enough when the boots overflex then they break as well.

If you plan on not hitting something then you could ride in walk mode till the cows come home but that rarely happens on the hill since there seems to be more than a few twits out there riding the slopes.

yup, just like the guy who says he does not need seatbelts because he's never been in a accident.

I'm not saying you die right away but the idea of patrollers having to dremel a boot off of my foot is not what I like to think about.

there's a possibility of that happening with head, raichle and burton. UPZ I guess is really easy to break that way according to a few people here.

I really like the solidity the bts ads to my boots but it also restricts the range of movement I get from the boots I use without it.I would like to have a bombproof mechanism that allows for the full range of movement without the risk of blowing up the plastic weak link.

softer BTS spring. at some point you run into the safe limits of the boot and ankle though