Note to New Members ×

Glove problem

jtslalom

So I bought a new pair of gloves, mittens to be exact because my old ones ripped. Every year my gloves get all torn up and rip at the seems. A few years back some one posted a remedy to this problem by dipping gloves into some sort of rubber adhesive. I was wondering if any one can recall that adhesive or possibly what they do to get their gloves to stop rippng.

So I bought a new pair of gloves, mittens to be exact because my old ones ripped. Every year my gloves get all torn up and rip at the seems. A few years back some one posted a remedy to this problem by dipping gloves into some sort of rubber adhesive. I was wondering if any one can recall that adhesive or possibly what they do to get their gloves to stop rippng.

Tool dip is what I think you may be referring to.

I personally use GOOP. Along all seams. In the palm, fingertips. Wherever I think may burn through. I have a pair of gloves with seven or eight years on them. They don't smell so good, have lost some of their waterproofing, but still hold up to hard carving with ease.

Do not breathe the stuff though. It is bad VOC stuff that off gases. Takes 12 to 24 to cure.

I tried Plasti-Dip (spray-on version, 5 coats) at the beginning of the season, hoping it would be the fix I needed. After day 3 (the first day I was really getting my hands in the snow) it started to peel off the palms, and after day 6, it looks terrible, and some old holes opened up.

It would be very good for waterproofing/sealing, but it doesn't provide the abrasion resistance I was looking for. It absorbs into fabric very well, but it doesn't adhere too well to leather, which is what I needed.

I got some of this polyurethane recently for a completely different project, and I think I'll try it on my gloves next...

If you just want to fix seams though (and not big surfaces), I agree that GOOP would be the stuff.

I tried Plasti-Dip (spray-on version, 5 coats) at the beginning of the season, hoping it would be the fix I needed.
Isn't that the stuff car guys use to paint up wheels and such, knowing they can easily strip it back to stock if they don't end up liking the look? Not surprising it didn't work in that application.

I have an old pair of Sims gauntlets with kevlar palms and fingers, bulletproof.

5th season and still holding strong. No shoe goo or goop. But I am on my 2nd pair of liners with these gloves; purchased separately.

http://www.thundercloudmarketing.com/FreePage22.htm

I and some more on this side of the pond use them too. Very nice with the long sleeve and the Keprotec. But they do need some modding too.

- directly apply Sikaflex 252 or 221 on all seams and surfaces.

- get rid of the plastic clips at the sleeves, they will tear up there.

- I glued 3 fingers together, just in case for hitting an ice block or so.:ices_ange

- always use liners in them, as they are way too cold without.

Here a picture of Harald´s pair after one day of carving WITHOUT modding the surfaces:

post-5911-141842296839_thumb.jpg

+1 on the thunderclouds

I bought a pair last year and it's the toughest glove ever, the only ones I've seen that're better than the old flourescent kombi kevlar

Maybe 40-50 days on them and they're just broken in,

Not the warmest (without a liner) or the driest but by far the toughest, buckles & sharp edges don't even phase'em:biggthump

PS but I don't drag my hands either