Note to New Members ×

How long did it take you to find the sweetspot in your board

Bobby Buggs

My metal is in the shop and I got out on a 169 Prior 4Wd this week for the first time. I set my bindings the same as my metal and on the first turn that showed me it was not right setting. Booted out my front foot on heelside, so I turned up the angle. By the end of the first day I was more comfortable but I really didnt feel like I was in the "sweetspot" of the board enough during the full length of the turn. Not so happy with the board at that point, saying why do people love this board. Day 2 I was sure I was not getting the full sweetspot of the board and also felt as if I didnt have ability to bend the board enough, so I moved my front foot forward towards the nose opening up my stance a bit and Bam, found the sweetspot. Much more fun to ride when your weight is in the center of the sweetspot on the board.:biggthump Sad thing is I bet I dont ride this board again this season as my Metal should be back Monday. I think with 1 more day of tweaking the stance I would really get dialed in to the boards characteristics. Im gonna keep in it the back on my truck so I can go back to it another time... yeah I will:rolleyes:

I can't remember taking more two or three runs to find the spot. If it doesn't feel good by the end of first run I'll move forward a hole or two.

If that doesn't improve I try moving back ( rarely ).

If moving forward improves a little but I think it could be better then I go forward another hole.

Keep in mind we have 3,100 to 3,400 vertical runs. At least where I like to go to dial it in :biggthump.

I ride flat and always set 'em up for close to the edge with no overhang.

My two cents.

took me two days to dial in the new VSR. tried different angles for half the day at a time on different runs (i.e. steeps, rollers, etc) until i found what worked best. just starting to play with stance widths, but once the angles got figured out it should be a piece of cake.

an easy way to help find the sweet spot in your board (and to keep your balance in check) is to ride an easier trail at your mountain with your boots unbuckled. i have my athletes do this when they are riding new race boards, and it seems to help... good luck!

Interesting - I'm curious about information this exercise provides the rider with (not questioning your judgement, but rather - trying to understand what to be looking for and how riding with your boots loose can exaggerate the effects of being in/out of the sweet spot).

Care to elaborate?

Interesting - I'm curious about information this exercise provides the rider with (not questioning your judgement, but rather - trying to understand what to be looking for and how riding with your boots loose can exaggerate the effects of being in/out of the sweet spot).

Care to elaborate?

Ditto!

an easy way to help find the sweet spot in your board (and to keep your balance in check) is to ride an easier trail at your mountain with your boots unbuckled. i have my athletes do this when they are riding new race boards, and it seems to help... good luck!

As a supervisor I would frequently be 'told' by rookie instructors that " I can't teach lower levels cuz I just got this new stick" My reply was always that the bunny hill and green runs with all the entry level demos is a great way to get used to a new board!

I should have followed my own preaching wih the 210 as it really does seem to help one become accustomed to a new ride.

Part of why it took me awhile to find the spot on the 210 is that I simply thought I needed to adapt my movements more to the board because of it's sheer size,but I know now that I should have stuck to what I usually do to setup a new board.

Bobby,

This speaks more to the process than to the amount of time required, but:

I will remove the rear binding, and head for a pitch that is fairly flat, with even fall line. If I can traverse on each edge, with no real effort, and the board behaves, then the front binding is probably where it belongs. If the board spins out on a heelside traverse, I will move the binding back.

When the board feels neutral on both toe and heel edge, then I will begin riding arc to arc (still one foot) on the same pitch. If the board feels nervous or twitchy, I'll move the binding one increment to the tail. If the board feels sluggish, especially on the toeside, the binding goes forward one increment. When I can ride arc to arc one-footed with some depth to the turn, with little or no compensatory effort, then I will replace the rear binding for my preferred width, and find a steeper pitch with some hard snow to check the results.

Again, all other inputs remaining consistent, if the board feels nervous on the toeside, move both bindings back. If sluggish, move forward.

Bear in mind that the configuration of my boots and bindings has already been established, and as such is not coloring the outcome.

I find that the two surface conditions most conducive to accurate 'dial in' are deep snow and/or something really hard and unforgiving.

Your results may vary...

TT,

With the rear binding gone, there is little incentive to "...just go out and riiide, man...", and thus the job gets done properly.

I have also gone out with a sneaker on my rear foot, but then I still have the rear binding to locate against, which, in a way, constitutes cheating...

Given the cost of 'snow time', one might as well make a concerted effort without temptation.

I've been thinking about perception lately and this thread hits home. I've owned 6 boards and 4 have been just great, two haven't worked for me, despite tinkering. My opinion is set'em up even on the inserts and try it, you can give it a whole run but you know in 2-3 turns on each side if it's a keeper. Maybe some people feel or experience more than me (dark berry notes with a hint of chocolate, smoke, and leather) but for me it's an up or down vote after 300 vertical feet.

Quote:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Pat Donnelly viewpost.gif

Buggs -

I had the 179 4WD, perhaps the 169 is a bit short for you?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I was thinking the same thing, but I believe if Im a solid rider I should be able to rock on just about any length quality board

Buggs - I am 6 ft & weigh 210 lbs. I was relating back to our Rossi World Cup boards 170, 184 & 190. The 170 never felt stable by comparison, kind of squirrely as compared to the 184. I have had a couple of 179 4WD's and they are a fun board.