Note to New Members ×

afton report

trent

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flat light, wicked fast inconsistent snow, rain, and wet goggles are the perfect way to get a run to yourself. FOR FREE. I almost talked the lifty into drying our chairs off, but I don't think he felt well because he didn't seem to enthusiastic about it. Fun times.

Trent seemed to have a bit more control than I did, I think it's a Coiler thing:D. I spent much of my time either going way to fast or turning back up hill to scrub speed only to lose enough speed to have trouble initiating my next turn. Oh, and sometimes I would be just railing a turn only to break through the crust and keep railing and railing and then there were trees and I was sliding and sliding and sliding. Fun times.

I am way more impressed by the riding at the olympics now that I have been riding in similar conditions. They(skiers and snowboarders) were railing in this stuff. Extra props to the riders.

Fortunately, afton did a good job grooming and the snow was super smooth, so sliding was not painfull at all. I think i was actually gaining speed in the slides.

I wore black to sybolize my state of morning, plus I wanted our gang to have a tough look. Trent stepped it up a notch and threw in the gang signs he has been practicing all winter.

CHECK OUT THE TAPER ON THE MONOSKI. That dude went down hard. Face first. I think we were intimidating him with our hardened presence.

Afton is planning on being open until march 28.

Flat light, wicked fast inconsistent snow, rain, and wet goggles are the perfect way to get a run to yourself. FOR FREE. I almost talked the lifty into drying our chairs off, but I don't think he felt well because he didn't seem to enthusiastic about it. Fun times.

Trent seemed to have a bit more control than I did, I think it's a Coiler thing:D. I spent much of my time either going way to fast or turning back up hill to scrub speed only to lose enough speed to have trouble initiating my next turn. Oh, and sometimes I would be just railing a turn only to break through the crust and keep railing and railing and then there were trees and I was sliding and sliding and sliding. Fun times.

I am way more impressed by the riding at the olympics now that I have been riding in similar conditions. They(skiers and snowboarders) were railing in this stuff. Extra props to the riders.

Fortunately, afton did a good job grooming and the snow was super smooth, so sliding was not painfull at all. I think i was actually gaining speed in the slides.

I wore black to sybolize my state of morning, plus I wanted our gang to have a tough look. Trent stepped it up a notch and threw in the gang signs he has been practicing all winter.

CHECK OUT THE TAPER ON THE MONOSKI. That dude went down hard. Face first. I think we were intimidating him with our hardened presence.

Afton is planning on being open until march 28.

it was raining when i drove to work. i salute both of you!!! :biggthump

speaking of gangsta...

look close at the bottle on the right.

post-1112-141842308638_thumb.jpg

there's been talk of added security due to the increase in gang members recently. here's one of the newest recruits. his vest holds more gadgets than james bond, but there's too many pockets to find what you're looking for. new recruits also need training on proper camera etiquette. see if you can spot the differences. ;)

post-495-141842309165_thumb.jpg

post-495-14184230917_thumb.jpg

or snowcone, or slushy, etc....

pretty dang soft out there today. only rode chair 2 and 7, and only lasted a little more than 1 hour. no dirt showing, and the snow didn't look too bad. but i'm sure that's changed after yesterday afternoon being 60! :eek:

felt very surfy riding. definitely had to change the riding style to match the conditions. a great day to work on your balance! too much on the nose, and you risked going over the handlebars. too much on the tail, and you'd wash out. and of course touching the snow would usually end in a "carver does an impression of a meteor impact" show.

it was good to get out and put an end to the season.

-trent

proof it was carveable. sort of.

post-495-141842309174_thumb.jpg

picked them up online. they are the 08/09 track 700s. I am gonna post about them on another thread when i finish customizing them. The heel clamp is not close to tight enough, so I have cut the wire and resized it with some hardware from Home depot, and they are amazing now.

i just put a lot of foam there. yeah their a nice boot, but need a little bit of modding. the new ones are supposed to be fine though

Trent,

Them Coilas you got look mighty fine for riding backwards. Don't get hurt though. :)

Ink

like i told you at ses.... i'll still blame you! ;) hopefully you, mario, and dt will be at more of the session next year. you bring the fakie carving, i'll bring the ibuprofen (i'll need it after trying to keep up with you 3). :biggthump

i'm safe for now though as one of our hills closed today, and the rest will follow shortly. snow playtime is done here. :(

wp was just ok. it was great for moguls and push piles, crap for groomers. i was able to find a few runs that were carveable, but i had to get through a lot of not-so-smooth terrain to get to them. forced me to work on my bump riding (which sucks), but i guess i've been spoiled by the aspen mountains and our local groomers in what i want from a hill. :1luvu:

-trent

The season is now officially over as of yesterday 5PM at Afton Alps. This is the earliest season end that I recall in years.

for you. i was there till 7 at the company party... :eplus2:

In soft boots w/carving stance.

they snow in the morning was really decent. I could've road it in hard boots. but as the sun pounded away, it got softer and choppier. i had to change my riding styler progressively through the day.

At about 3 o'clock, however, i got a really good dial in, and was able to start cutting though to the ice on the bottom, with was honestly quite gripping. I think if they were to re groom the hill at this point it would've been simply amazing. How ever, they didn't, so although i was riding great, it was very tiring, to fight through the chop, while holding an edge.

By the end of the day, my feet were absolutely soaked and i had no regrets; this was probably the best day of snowboarding i've ever had. Not because of the snow quality, but because of the 'ride like theirs no tomorrow, because their isn't one' attitude All 8 my friend and i were riding with.

I'm gonna miss snowboarding :(

Next year might be a Mountain host, btw.

for you. i was there till 7 at the company party... :eplus2:

Next year might be a Mountain host, btw.

I wanted to go to the party, but family obligations took priority. I "abandoned" them too many times this season.

Hope to see you out there in yellow next year.