Note to New Members ×

afton report

trent

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left a little early, I wasn't feeling to hot and it was kinda pointless to stay if I was gonna be on accidents all the time.

The flip HD mino cam that I got was able to take some pretty good footage for being so cheap and so small. This is the video taken on friday, for those thinking about getting a cheap camera to ride with all the time. For whatever reason, youtube keeps crashing when I try to upload the video, and facebook wont embed the HD version.

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/515500881545" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/515500881545" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

Some footage that I was taking before I left today.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixq0g2sS_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixq0g2sS_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

what a blast today! great riding with everyone. too bad the racers took over inga's so early today, it really put a smile on my face for the first 4 runs of the day.

the sun came out, and so did the carvers. 5 in hardboots, 1 in parent / softboot mode, and 1 hybrid (alpine board, soft boots; planning on hardboots next season).

everything was pretty excellent today. de's was a little icy in the morning, but held well after noon. highlands was crowded with lesson groups and racers, but occassional holes were found.

scott missed most of the fun as he was off helping the injured. we saw an ambulance at one point... i'm guess scott got a closer view of that vehicle. glad to hear you left, and weren't still dealing with the carnage. i was worried once you helped one victim, everybody wanted to be saved. ;)

-trent

well, that was fun! early morning i was having fun on inga's before they set up the course. think i got 3 runs in. moved over to trudys. the runs were devastated with ruts. and then it got a wee bit crowded.

de's was also crowded with people. snow wasn't all that great. i chattered a few times.

all the highland runs were crowded with slow moving skiers and snowboarders.

was enjoying life up until i did something incredibly stupid. i had a senior moment. at the bottom of the lift 2, i tried to carve a 360. i was about half way around when a skier clipped me. not sure what exactly happened. i was low to the ground and closed my eyes i guess. he bumped me and got knocked down. i felt pain in my left hand. the skier was a teen. he got up but was a little shaken. the base of my thumb started to throb. after that i couldn't ride very well. didn't want to touch my hand on the snow. it hurt to put pressure on it. its a little swollen right now.

was enjoying life up until i did something incredibly stupid. i had a senior moment. at the bottom of the lift 2, i tried to carve a 360. i was about half way around when a skier clipped me. not sure what exactly happened. i was low to the ground and closed my eyes i guess. he bumped me and got knocked down. i felt pain in my left hand. the skier was a teen. he got up but was a little shaken. the base of my thumb started to throb. after that i couldn't ride very well. didn't want to touch my hand on the snow. it hurt to put pressure on it. its a little swollen right now.

i saw it happen if you'd like me to go into detail...

the sun came out, and so did the carvers. 5 in hardboots, 1 in parent / softboot mode, and 1 hybrid (alpine board, soft boots; planning on hardboots next season).

parent mode?

8 carvers, actually! Claytin, Cody, and Claytins wife were out in hard boots later in the night, too!

i like that song, scott!

Great day riding today. Not a cloud in the sky and firm conditions. Trent and I did our normal lift two runs for an hour or so. We then headed over to lift seven. De's was in good shape, almost untouched. I think Nat, or as I call him rubber legs (for obvious reasons if you have ever seen him ski), may have put a few nice trenches in the run. Trent and I start making some turns. Trent notices a tele skier speed past him to get down the run first. He mentions to me that this tele guy is being a bit wierd and to be on the lookout. I start paying attention and notice what seem to me to be some discusted looks, but it was hard to tell with his enormous helmet and face garb. I definately felt a pissy vibe. I don't think the trenches were working very well with his sliding tele technique.

A few runs later I see this guy riding right on my ass. I figure what's one run and strait line it to the bottom. No biggy, but what a fu!$er. There weren't enough people on the run to have to fight for space, that's for sure. Now it gets good.

Trent is at the bottom near the lift line entrance. I come to a screaching halt after straitlining it and am bending over to unclip when this tele dude thinks it would be a good idea to push through us really fast and catch the lift before us. I say "Nice," in my best sarcastic Minnesota passive agressive way. Maybe I distracted him or maybe he was beyond his skill level, but he catches his ski tip on the fence and goes spinning/falling just inside the chairlifts path into a discombobulated mess. He quickly starts pull himself together when a chair hits him right on the helmet, not very hard, but there was a thud. The lifty stops the lift, he collects himself and gets on the next chair. It was really hard to keep from laughing, but not wanting to be the troublemaking carvers we kept it together until I saw the lifty and had to comment. All I said was "That Was Awsome," and he definately saw the humor in it.

Unfortuanately big helmet tele guy didn't seem all that phased by this and kept right on skidding on De's. Trent and I stayed for a bit as well. I got a wink and a smile for a lady Trent saw ride up with the guy earlier. I'm not sure what to make of that. We made a few more runs and then went to explore somewhere else for a bit.

Later in the afternoon Trent and I hit De's on the way into the challet. We met Nat at the top and were chatting a bit when big helmet tele guy tries to push past me really fast again. This time a bit more successfully, but barely. Nat says the guy is there a lot. Nat didn't seem to impressed with the guy either.

I'm still giggling on the inside. It was a definate sight to see. I bet the big helmet tele guy is not thinking the same thing. Lame ass carvers wrecking the hills.

We did leave our signatures all over the runs. The lifties were loving it.

Great day riding today. Not a cloud in the sky and firm conditions. Trent and I did our normal lift two runs for an hour or so. We then headed over to lift seven. De's was in good shape, almost untouched. I think Nat, or as I call him rubber legs (for obvious reasons if you have ever seen him ski), may have put a few nice trenches in the run. Trent and I start making some turns. Trent notices a tele skier speed past him to get down the run first. He mentions to me that this tele guy is being a bit wierd and to be on the lookout. I start paying attention and notice what seem to me to be some discusted looks, but it was hard to tell with his enormous helmet and face garb. I definately felt a pissy vibe. I don't think the trenches were working very well with his sliding tele technique.

A few runs later I see this guy riding right on my ass. I figure what's one run and strait line it to the bottom. No biggy, but what a fu!$er. There weren't enough people on the run to have to fight for space, that's for sure. Now it gets good.

Trent is at the bottom near the lift line entrance. I come to a screaching halt after straitlining it and am bending over to unclip when this tele dude thinks it would be a good idea to push through us really fast and catch the lift before us. I say "Nice," in my best sarcastic Minnesota passive agressive way. Maybe I distracted him or maybe he was beyond his skill level, but he catches his ski tip on the fence and goes spinning/falling just inside the chairlifts path into a discombobulated mess. He quickly starts pull himself together when a chair hits him right on the helmet, not very hard, but there was a thud. The lifty stops the lift, he collects himself and gets on the next chair. It was really hard to keep from laughing, but not wanting to be the troublemaking carvers we kept it together until I saw the lifty and had to comment. All I said was "That Was Awsome," and he definately saw the humor in it.

Unfortuanately big helmet tele guy didn't seem all that phased by this and kept right on skidding on De's. Trent and I stayed for a bit as well. I got a wink and a smile for a lady Trent saw ride up with the guy earlier. I'm not sure what to make of that. We made a few more runs and then went to explore somewhere else for a bit.

Later in the afternoon Trent and I hit De's on the way into the challet. We met Nat at the top and were chatting a bit when big helmet tele guy tries to push past me really fast again. This time a bit more successfully, but barely. Nat says the guy is there a lot. Nat didn't seem to impressed with the guy either.

I'm still giggling on the inside. It was a definate sight to see. I bet the big helmet tele guy is not thinking the same thing. Lame ass carvers wrecking the hills.

We did leave our signatures all over the runs. The lifties were loving it.

was it this guy?

post-1112-141842305002_thumb.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: that pict is pretty close bobble!

yes, it was excellent karma for tele-douche. we were the only 3 people using the run at that time, and there was no line ever for the lift. unless you count waiting 1 chair for greg and i to get on the lift. :smashfrea i retold the tele-douche story a few times at night too. would've been a great moment to have a helmet cam running. :biggthump

9:30 - 3 was excellent. blue skies and firm snow. at the end of our day, you really had to stay focused to keep your edge on the steep stuff. but you could still carve, although we were moving pretty dang fast as the trenches were more like scratches yesterday.

i went back for round 2 from 6:30 to 9. brought out the 162. on everything but chair 2... :1luvu: chair 2.... :eek: definitely was over the speed limit on that board. the snow seemed even harder at night. i got really good at chattering out. every time i tried to get low and complete a turn trying to keep my speed in control, i'd chatter or slide out. decided to stay off the runs under 2, and play everywhere else.

oh, and the place was empty! only 1 small group of racers training. other than that, you'd have any hill to yourself. beer league must be over, or they don't have it on wed nights.

-trent

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: that pict is pretty close bobble!

yes, it was excellent karma for tele-douche. we were the only 3 people using the run at that time, and there was no line ever for the lift. unless you count waiting 1 chair for greg and i to get on the lift. :smashfrea i retold the tele-douche story a few times at night too. would've been a great moment to have a helmet cam running. :biggthump

9:30 - 3 was excellent. blue skies and firm snow. at the end of our day, you really had to stay focused to keep your edge on the steep stuff. but you could still carve, although we were moving pretty dang fast as the trenches were more like scratches yesterday.

i went back for round 2 from 6:30 to 9. brought out the 162. on everything but chair 2... :1luvu: chair 2.... :eek: definitely was over the speed limit on that board. the snow seemed even harder at night. i got really good at chattering out. every time i tried to get low and complete a turn trying to keep my speed in control, i'd chatter or slide out. decided to stay off the runs under 2, and play everywhere else.

oh, and the place was empty! only 1 small group of racers training. other than that, you'd have any hill to yourself. beer league must be over, or they don't have it on wed nights.

-trent

how is it that i was there from 12 to 330 and then had a round 2, myself, from 5 to 8 and i only saw you once?

it definitely got harder once the sun went down.

got out for a quick 2.5 hours this morning.

chair 2 was pretty soft. snow would push away on air transition landings. i think they groomed it in the morning.

de's was awesome. firm and groomed well. wanted to stay longer, but had to check out some more runs. saw dave and aaron for a moment, but had to continue on my sampling of all the playground.

sally's was excellent too. made a few passes here. usually can't carve the big board on this run. was able to today, although i was using all of the run. so much so i was scared at the bottom from almost going off the run. but not scared enough not to do it a few more times. :eplus2: don't get that rush much anymore around here.

heather's was also great. some nice air transitions to be had over there. the liftie said "whoa! that's different." as i was about to respond, the skier behind me said "cool! a carving board." so i looked at the liftie and said, "see? he knows what it is." to which the guy said, "yeah, i've been watching the olympics!". guess i need to watch the olympic coverage.

it got crowded in a hurry today. by 11 i had to wait for opening on the runs to make my way down. good thing i had to leave early. i would've be pretty frustrated had i planned on staying for a few more hours.

-trent

It got very frustrating, actually. Aaron, and i left at 3. i wasted my "A" game in the hylands i think, too :( but that was fine; i've had plenty of good runs this year on steeper hills... and more people got to see Aaron and i absolutely destroy the hills this way. :p

i too had a near accidental tree run, but thanks to a quick, swift cross though, fallowed by a tight, coat dragging turn, i simply turned the error into eye candy for the chair i was right underneath.

by 2:30 there were too many people on 7 (de's?) trying to teach there kids to learn to ski, and 2 was just too soft. This in, combination with my fatigue, made us decide to pack it up and head home.

overall i'd give the day a 7 out of 10

I got out there around 11 today. i started on chair 7 wearing just a sweat shirt. The snow was firm and seemed like it would not let go at all! after going down 4 or 5 times i saw trent, and greg(?). Trent had a kick ass new coiler, which was really pretty, and looked like it rode even better.

After saying hello to trent, i went down the hill again, when disaster struck; Tele-douche was back, again, and this time he wasn't showing mercy. I have absolutely no clue where he came from, but he managed to plow right into me. He said he was sorry, but i can't help but wonder how sorry he was when he trying to play it off as my fault at first. All i told him was down hill has the right of way. I was pretty furious.

After that i went to the high lands to take care of some things for work, and to get some ice for my hand, which i injured in my encounter with tele-douche. i met 2 ladys while getting ice, one of which was hot, so i'll call the tele-douche incident a blessing in disguise. (got numbers)

i rode around in the high lands for a little bit with them, when i noticed that high land snow was starting to get soft (i never went down 16, however).

At about 1 i went back to 7 and then 2. the snow there was still excellent on those hills. at this point it had become so warm out that all i needed was a t-shirt. it was so awesome. :1luvu:

Went back to 7 for a little bit, and rocked it. Then back to the high lands only to find the snow was crap, now. So i left.

I'd say i was riding at about 80% all day, and the conditions were a 9/10 for the most part. making the day a 8.5 out of ten. (surprisingly tele-fag didn't really upset my day that much)

This morning was great. The edges were holding nice, and there were not to many people out. Saw another guy on hard boots, never met or seen him before. I even got michelle to try out the alpine for a bit for her first time.

I will be out again tomorrow morning, hopefully the conditions are the same.

Sunday was a blast. We wound up setting just a stubby course on 7. It was nice in the beginning, got really soft and sketchy around noon when we pulled it. After running gates I have decided by day one next year to invest in some new gear. The 160 is a little to short for me.

Trent, I keep hearing about the new toy from others but no review from you... what's up with the new coiler? specs?

getting overrun by thugs at afton. we didn't know what to make of the empty parking lot, but we soon realized why everyone was scared away. there were a couple of gangsta's playin in da rain! one idiot said he was representin "Mid West!"

post-495-141842307007_thumb.jpg

post-495-14184230701_thumb.jpg

post-495-141842307012_thumb.jpg

the MidWest boyz said there was a turf war o-brewing. warned us to watch out for some gang specializing in the double-release-face-plant style of kung-fu. we saw the move, and the hill cried uncle. greg risked laughing at the rival gangs kung-fu; i knew to keep silent and stay safe.

here's the rival gang on the lift. i was too scared to risk a camera op and get my arse kicked. keeping the feet together like that stregthens his kung-fu.

post-495-141842307014_thumb.jpg

we got soaked. we were the only people on the hill most of the time. we saw one other person on chair 2, and they were only there for 2 runs. on chair 7, we saw the monoskier for 1 run but after his kung-fu, he went elsewhere. as in, st. elsewhere, the hospital. holy crap did he smack his head and face hard on the snow! i was impressed he got up. the monoski was also bright yellow, so sorta matched the pink poles in an 80's sort of way.

the snow was hard and fast. not too hard that you couldn't carve into it, but hard enough you didn't want to touch or fall on it. if you did fall, holy smokes would you slide! and slide fast and far!! :eek: greg was seeing how close he could get to the woods a couple of times. we both were glad there was nobody else on the hill. if there was a speed limit, we were way, way over it. :nono:

scott - here's my first impression of my vsr, i'll post specs and a nsr review soon. http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=294911&postcount=200