Note to New Members ×

Music on the mountain.

Guest OCD

I bought an ipod for this season after using a friend’s mp3 player last year and want to install speakers / headphones into my helmet. I made an attempt last year at the end of the season but ended up with either poor sound quality or sore ears. I’ve looked briefly at motorcycle set-ups but they seem a little pricy and the room we have available is not quite the same. Has anyone tried this with any success?

P.S. This thread is not intended to start a debate about the rights or wrongs of listening to music while riding.

not that this is on topic or anything, but you could just move to Michigan where the runs are short enough for one set of speakers to be loud enough to cover the entire leangth of the hill, so thats what the resorts do is blast music for everyone to listen to. you might think, well then its not your choice music, BUT, the way to take care of that is make a CD with music resonable enough for other people to here, and then go find the person who controls the system, they seem to be very nice and accommidating.

Originally posted by knoch

not that this is on topic or anything, but you could just move to Michigan where the runs are short enough for one set of speakers to be loud enough to cover the entire leangth of the hill,

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

there are also the "in ear" monitors..the good ones...some which are custom fit to your ear canal

Do any of you guys think/agree that it could be dangerous listening to tunes whilst riding. Can imagine it being due to less concentration, aware- one of your senses has been rendered useless, especially important on heelside blindside, usually u can hear ppl approaching but with music on i don't know. what are your feelings on the matter? am asking as i would like to ride with music but have not done so for safety- just resort to singing to myself.

hi,

last year I monkeyed around with putting bug headphones in or around my boeri. needless to say, i got a lot of weird looks. basically i had a lot of ducttape around the outside of my helmet and the ear buds covering over the ear venting. so people thought i was taping together a broken helmet, which is shady.

I then had my mp3 player in the front pocket on my fleece, around my chest area. The sound quality was poor b/c ear buds basically have to be in your ear to work effectively, and I finally decided to just kill the idea, although I'd really like to ride with music. I think it's usually OK as long as it's not too busy and you have a clue. I will try to post some pics of the strange looking music helmet.

Barry

Doesn't Burton (I know, I know) make a jacket with an mp3 built in with speakers in the collar? Someone told me about it a while back. The controls are on the sleeve and I guess the player goes in a pouch or something. I have also witnessed some GORB chicks with a backpack pumpin out some Britney Spears, it was wired with speakers on the outside and everything.

Might be some options, and are probably alot safer than having ear buds.

I did just what jason above says with the Koss ksc50's. A great phone for the money. I'll try to attach a link to a headphone website I like. Lots of great info.

You knew that no matter what you did, people would ignore your P.S. and get into a debate on this thread. I got into it once and was bodily threatened for even suggesting riding with tunes.

Having said that, I'm addicted. Look back uphill every turn, whether tuned up or not. Love my Iriver mp3 player and ksc50's. Saving up for the ipod.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=13&subTopicID=68

Guest thomas_m

I had to buy a helmet anyway so got one of the Giro's with the speakers built into the ear flaps. It's very comfortable(for me) and the sound isn't up to my Sennheisers but it's pretty decent. The retrofit kits looked like the same setup to my quick inspection.

I ride by myself lots of nights during the week when the hill is very open. Having the tunes on the lift and on the open runs is great. I turn them off when it's crowded or I'm doing something near my (admittedly short) limits.

Where I'd really like to have them is in the ocean when surfing. Sitting out there by myself for hours on a day with only a few set waves gets pretty monotonous at times - start talking to the seals, imagining shark boils and such...

T.

Guest Randy S.

I know a guy who has been doing this for years. He just buys cheapo headphones from radio shack and takes the speaker part off the frame. Then he glues/velcros the speaker inside the hole where your ear goes. It works well on his helmet which has hard plastic coming all the way down over his ears.

OVO and Giro both make helmets with speakers built in, or you can buy their ear pads to replace the ones in your existing helmet from them.

I thought the guy said in the first post this wasn't the thread to debate the safety/adviseability of doing this.

Originally posted by Randy S.

I know a guy who has been doing this for years. He just buys cheapo headphones from radio shack and takes the speaker part off the frame. Then he glues/velcros the speaker inside the hole where your ear goes. It works well on his helmet which has hard plastic coming all the way down over his ears.

OVO and Giro both make helmets with speakers built in, or you can buy their ear pads to replace the ones in your existing helmet from them.

I thought the guy said in the first post this wasn't the thread to debate the safety/adviseability of doing this.

Burton makes helmets with built in speakers as well... but why not go 'stylin' and get a Speaker Backpack (this was the cheapest I found, but there are others). I always thought this would inevitably happen - I don't see why you can't build a similar design out of a camelbak.

Has the added benefit of not blocking your sense of sound, sharing your music, and "warning" people downhill from you :)

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by lonerider

Burton makes helmets with built in speakers as well... but why not go 'stylin' and get a Speaker Backpack (this was the cheapest I found, but there are others).

Arvin,

If you get one of those, I'm not riding the lift with you. You skateboarding punks have lousy taste in music! :D

Added benefit: they'll be able to find you on the hill at night when you've wound up head-down in a tree-well. Just follow the music.

totally obnoxious, inconsiderate, and lame, IMO. get an mp3 player, like almost everyone else.

I think many would agree with me. Keep your music to yourself, no matter how good you think it is. last year I saw some complete TOOL freestyler with a medium sized old skool radio hanging off his backpack blasting some ****ty music. Please don't do this. Depending on where you go, too, you're asking for trouble.

on the logistical side, it'll sound better with headphones.

on an unrelated note, "spore" is quite a funny acronym.

---

Barry

this is my helmet, a boeri ( i think the model is myto), after i taped ear buds to the outside of the helmet over the ear vents and any other vetns (thinking this would improve sound quality). I ran the wire along the both sides of the bottom of the helmet and it went back under my jacket along my back and to the mp3 player either to the front chest pouch of my fleece or wrapped around my arm. as you can see, it looks awful and probably sorta of ridiculous. needless to say, i decided this was dumb and did away with it the next time out.

Barry

post-570-141842198568_thumb.jpg

I never did try the molded variety which may work fine but I like the idea of not having to hassle with them. Unplug and take your helmet off sounds good. I went to Radio Shack and bought $10 speakers which fit into my helmet pretty well but I'm still working on optimizing the sound quality by moving them around. Sounds ok at the moment but not great and I have to have the volume on full blast.

Hm...I just took regular headphones with a volume adjuster thingie partway on the ridiculously long cord (it's...around 10 feet long), put the headphones around the helmet (used goggle holder, telephone(black) wire) with the earpieces outside of the holes in the earflaps.

At full volume, it's great. And since the sound is directional, it doesn't bother others/much. I only use it while I'm alone on a lift or actually on a run, not inside though.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Arvin,

If you get one of those, I'm not riding the lift with you. You skateboarding punks have lousy taste in music! :D

Added benefit: they'll be able to find you on the hill at night when you've wound up head-down in a tree-well. Just follow the music.

Heh... I should get one just to annoy you on the drive up this weekend. Maybe I should by a stereo first (I don't own any portable music players at all... only my computer, car, and alarm clock).

I think to have like a band follow you down the slopes while playing... like the Cal Band (it's quite a sight).