Note to New Members ×

Taking Advil while riding= Bad

Bobby Buggs

Well, it's pretty simple. When taking anti-inflamatory you don't feel as much pain and risk making things worst since you'll continue riding (or any other sports).

I worked with athletes at all level from college to National team and it's never been a problem before with Ibu. personally I don't need to take any during the riding, once my body is warmed up it works pretty good, it's after the problem.

beer might do it. it has some research found that it has anti-inflamatory properties ! :)

I have never heard of anything like this. I am not sure where you heard it from, but I personally do not believe it to be accurate. I take Alleve most days before hitting the slopes. It keeps everything from getting inflamed and allows me to ride harder all day. I have never hurt worse at the end of the day because of it either. I have heard of people who chronically take pain killers such as Vocodin becoming more sensitive to pain through prolonged use, but I would think that an over the counter taken once in a while would not have any adverse effects. But hey I'm not a doctor.

beer might do it. it has some research found that it has anti-inflamatory properties ! :)

I have found this to be true for me too. However, after some really hard days I find that Jack Daniels or Patron to be the fastest acting anti-inflammatory! :AR15firin

I was once in the course and the crazy guy absloutlelly murderd us on the day 1 (and pretty much continued to do so later). I popped a Voltaren (one step up, or few, from Ibuprofen) and it worked great.

I tested it later at few other ocassions and it proved to work.

I sometimes have found that Ibuprofen takes a bit off my focus. I noticed this playing hockey as a goaltender. It doesn't make me groggy but it seems to slow down my puck tracking just a bit. I don't know if this is just in my head but it affects me enough that I go to tylenol and save the Advil for after the game.

Bobby,

are you thinking of this?

i think they are talking about more lengthy endurance type events than snowboarding.

Nope, not just endurance athletes. NSAIDs have been discouraged for years in the Weightlifting and Power Lifting communities by coaches.

Basically, NSAIDs:

1. Hinder protein synthesis, which slows muscle/ligament/joint recovery.

2. Taking NSAIDs pre-workout has no effect on post-workout soreness.

3. Taking NSAIDs prevents bone/muscle growth, which defeats the entire purpose of exercising!

You would be much better off consuming a post workout drink containing whey protein and getting proper rest prior to the next round of activity than consuming NSAIDs.

That was the stuff I saw

Nope, not just endurance athletes. NSAIDs have been discouraged for years in the Weightlifting and Power Lifting communities by coaches.

Basically, NSAIDs:

3. Taking NSAIDs prevents bone/muscle growth, which defeats the entire purpose of exercising!

You would be much better off consuming a post workout drink containing whey protein and getting proper rest prior to the next round of activity than consuming NSAIDs.

Basically, NSAIDs:

If you are going to make these claims. You really should include some references.

Bobby, you are not supposed to wash them down with 3 or more Bud Light or Corona. :rolleyes:

If I am taking them I usually do so with a nice red wine which according to an old girlfriend who works for Proctor and Gamble (now) is very very bad....feels good to me though:smashfrea

If you are going to make these claims. You really should include some references.

I'm not making those claims. This has been in medical journals for some time. Also common knowledge among strength coaches/athletes. NSAIDs are sold over the counter, however, they are not to be taken lightly. They are serious medication and should be treated as such. Just ask the scores of people documented with liver damage from taking too many of them. Nothing wrong with NSAIDs if taken occasionally at the right dosage, but they were never intended to be used on a daily basis as preventative medicine.

If I am taking them I usually do so with a nice red wine which according to an old girlfriend who works for Proctor and Gamble (now) is very very bad....feels good to me though:smashfrea

I heard some good old moonshine works even better with them.:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea

I'm not making those claims. This has been in medical journals for some time. Also common knowledge among strength coaches/athletes. NSAIDs are sold over the counter, however, they are not to be taken lightly. They are serious medication and should be treated as such. Just ask the scores of people documented with liver damage from taking too many of them. Nothing wrong with NSAIDs if taken occasionally at the right dosage, but they were never intended to be used on a daily basis as preventative medicine.

I'm not arguing that you don't need to be careful with them....

You made two very significant claims.

That could cause people to second guess their doctor after an injury without showing any proof of it. If it is "common knowledge" you should not have any problem find a quick source to back your claim.

And yes, it is YOUR claim, until you prove otherwise.

:confused: Behind a :AR15firinpaywall.

It's one of those that will let you in from google, but not directly

Try linking from the google search, it's the third entry "Natural Antiinflammatory Agents for Pain Relief in Athletes ..."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=uwK&ei=deoKS4TDE46cMP2ilcUK&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CC4QBSgA&q=nsaids+%22adverse+effects%22+muscle+growth&spell=1

Yeah that only links to the abstract which does not speak directly to your claims and the full text is behind another :AR15firinpaywall.

It's one of those that will let you in from google, but not directly

Try linking from the google search, it's the third entry "Natural Antiinflammatory Agents for Pain Relief in Athletes ..."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=uwK&ei=deoKS4TDE46cMP2ilcUK&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CC4QBSgA&q=nsaids+%22adverse+effects%22+muscle+growth&spell=1

Trappe, T. A. et al. Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis. Am. J. Physiol Endocrinol. Metab 282, E551-E556 (2002).

The results of this study were that, in the untreated subjects, post-exercise muscle protein synthesis (24 hours post-workout) increased in upwards of 76%, while subjects that received either acetaminophen or ibuprofen saw no significant increase at all.

Rodemann, H. P. & Goldberg, A. L. Arachidonic acid, prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha influence rates of protein turnover in skeletal and cardiac muscle. J. Biol. Chem. 257, 1632-1638 (1982)

This study showed that NSAIDs reduce prostaglandin synthesis by inhibiting the COX enzyme can reduce pain and inflammation, but at the same time reduction of the specific prostaglandin, PGF2-α has a dramatic effect on the ability of muscles to hypertrophy.

Trappe, T. A., Fluckey, J. D., White, F., Lambert, C. P. & Evans, W. J. Skeletal muscle PGF(2)(alpha) and PGE(2) in response to eccentric resistance exercise: influence of ibuprofen acetaminophen. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab 86, 5067-5070 (2001)

This study confirmed the earlier Rodemann study showing the adverse effects of NSAIDs on muscle mass/recovery using human subjects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This stuff isn't just my opinion. The potential adverse effects of NSAIDs have been known for years. The problem is not with taking NSAIDs for a short time for an acute problem (e.g. sprain or high fever ) or under the supervision of your doctor for a chronic problem. The problem is many people are popping them as preventative medicine prior to an activity, or taking too many, too long after an activity for some minor soreness. NSAIDs can have dangerous side effects if used for the wrong reasons.