Note to New Members ×

looking at vehicles - any opinions

davekempmeister

Any more intell on your Mini?

Problems?

Issues?

Snow Tires?

The 1st Gen Mini's had some issues. Mine is a 2nd Gen bought it last summer, I've got 27k on it with zero problems. Consumer Reports did a review of the car and the reliability rating is up a lot on the 2nd gens. I can honestly say that the Mini with snow tires on it (I'm running Toyo's) is the best FWD car I've ever driven in the snow. It's very planted and does very well in the sludge on the highway. It doesn't get tossed around switching lanes when its that slush snow. I don't know if it's a combination of the weight 2,600lbs and the suspension but it just rails in snow.

Granted if hour plowing through 12 plus inches of snow clearance will be an issue.

I been looking @ a new car since I got a real job in 99.

Till today still driving 1 pos beater + a weekend car on the side(91 galant vr4 awd+aws+turbo :eplus2:).

IMHO most car made after 2000 with snow tire should be more than adequate.

My list sort by what make the most sense to me:

suzuki sx4

vw jetta/golf diesel

Prius <-- only reason I even conside hybrid is that I can use it in HOV lane. I do car pool and it save me about 45 minutes round trip during rush hours. On the day I don't have carpool; i call in sick lol.

Ford Transit Connect

less practical but fun:

Mazda Speed 3 -- fwd + turbo

chevy cobalt ss turbo sedan -- fwd + turbo = fun

Ford Tarus SHO -- Turbo + AWD $$$$

I have to add the Subaru WRX is always a good choice! In wagon form of course. Actually even the base Impreza is a great car. I have owned 2 STi's and they are amazing in the snow with proper tires of course! Now i have a Mazdaspeed 3. I will be interested to see how it goes in the snow with the blizzaks.

post-1399-141842291467_thumb.jpg

I wish my primary consideration were how the vehicle would perform in the snow. Where I live the annual total is supposed to be 20 inches I think - I think the past few years it's been more like 10. Weak. Maryland is weak, except for the Westernmost part of the state where snow is a little more abundant. Relative term, of course. There is only one ski hill in Maryland (Wisp). More weakness.

Sure it's just a 4-door Versa with updated sheet metal, but the Nissan Cube is one of the few small cars to score high in the new Rollover crash protection test.

Mileage not bad, and I suspect its road clearance is greater than the standard Versa. CVT transmission should be really nice.

BB

My full size 07 GMC Sierra 2WD Extended cab works for me. I drive 1,000 miles/month or less. Like the size, ride and sittin up high. Easy to toss luggage and whatever gear in back under the cover with plenty of room in the cab for the lab and wife. Some of the "stuff" we buy is in bulk and it sure comes in handy. Lease is up in July and am tossing between an exact replacement or perhaps an AWD Terrain/Equinox. Got to support the brand as my wife works for GM.

Have you given any consideration to a 4-door truck? Especially if you have needs beyond just snow travel, that may be the ticket. A 4-door has lots of room for friends and family and the bed storage is so nice. I love mine and never have to pay to have anything delivered. With a locking cap, I also don't have to mess with roof racks and the bed sees lots of use throughout the year. In the last few weeks alone I've kept all my hunting gear locked in there, and have hauled deer, several loads of yard waste, a half ton of compost, and nearly 3 cords of firewood. Oh, it's great in snow, too. Food for thought.

I bought a Subaru Legacy GT wagon a couple years ago and I've been extremely happy with it. They stopped making the wagon after 06, but you can still find used ones in decent shape. Goes great in the snow, it's comfortable, and it should be plenty reliable. (Knock on wood.) No issues so far except a rattle that was fixed under warranty.

I was never into modifying cars before this, but a lot of the aftermarket the sprung up around the WRX and STI works for the Legacy as well, and... I couldn't help myself... I am now poorer, but happier. :eplus2: