Note to New Members ×

Old carver getting back Into it. Looking for gear and advice.

jonbass

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some might argue that you are already going too big at 26 as both your feet measure under 26.

I re-measured my feet a couple of times and I think I did not do it correctly the first time. I was in a rush and did not do it very carefully. After doing it again, my feet measured around 26 cm. One a bit under, one a bit over. I stood on linoleum with my heel to a flat wall with no trim. i marked the end of my foot on the floor using a dry erase marker and then measured that length. I may redo the process again and have my wife mark the length. I guess i'm obsessive :freak3:;).

I am a bit nervous about boots because I don't really have the option of going to a boot fitter here. I will probably buy a couple of used pairs and then sell the ones I don't like.

You can pm me about the Cateks but I am waiting to hear about some TD2's. Would I use the long or short ones? I don't know much about the Cateks yet.

Thanks

Jon

If you go catek, you'll want short plates.

what ever boots you get, moldable liners are the way to go, inexpensive used boots and new Raichle Thremo(bomber store) or Intuition liners http://www.intuitionliners.com/ (in Vancouver) will feel like new boots. Search threads on here for home molding instructions, it's easy.

Heated foot beds can save the day in extreme cold. My wife uses Atomic heaters alomost every day & loves them. Hottronic heaters are more common and both will last all day with regular charging. I wish I had them when it gets down to -20c.

gear hunting is addictive, beware:lol:

Oldsnowboards

Here's those old pics of me riding in the pink Koflachs and a Burton PJ. There is also one of a Santa Cruz Tau in the halfpipe for good measure. i actually don't have many good snowboarding pictures. My riding buddy was horrible at getting the timing right. I was too. If only I have a digital camera back then!

post-8425-141842289142_thumb.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Does anyone remember Wave Rave Clothing? I think it was made in Colorado. I loved that stuff!

post-8425-141842289136_thumb.jpg

post-8425-141842289139_thumb.jpg

Very cool Jon!!

Thanks for the "Oldsnowboards" fix.

Dude, I still have numerous Wave Rave clothing items. I think the name may still be alive somewhere.

Yep, digital changed everything. No more, take 24 shots and wait several days , pay 12$ and find out all but two are crappy.

Now, take hundreds of photos , get lucky on a dozen and almost no cost.

I bought some TD2 standards from the classified. I may try to pick up some F2 bindings as well if they are cheap enough just to compare.

Board - Check

Bindings - Check

Just need boots. If only i had hung onto those bright pink koflachs!;)

Dumb question. When I measured my mondopoint, i did it in bare feet as that is what they did here.http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/Sizing_boots.pdf

Does anyone measure their mp wearing the type of socks they would wear while riding?

I remember them being pretty uncomfortable. Those big gators just got in the way.
I just cut mine off. I also modified the liners to add laces for a little more support, and added some velcro as that tongue kept twisting sideways which then exposed my shin to the shell. Also, they only flexed so far forwards and then stopped. Now I'm on Raichles, no issue with the liners, all the support I want and a nice progressive flex.

So I went to a ski shop today to try on boots just to make sure about my mondo sizing. I think I am more confused than ever. They carry Rossignol and Salomon boots there. I tried on both in 26 and 26.5 mondopoint. I know that I wouldn't go any smaller than that but I'm not really sure about 26 or 26.5. I found that one pair of 26s felt bigger than another 26.5s. My toes were firmly touching the end in the 26's and just touching in the 26.5's. I did feel how much the boots pack even after wearing them five minutes. Overall I couldn't really tell the difference between the sizes. I didn't get to try all the same makes in different sizes as they didn't have much of a selection.

One of the people at the shop (she is actually the manger of the connected snowboard shop) was very emphatic that my toes shouldn't be touching because she said they will freeze. Mind you, she also didn't understand what I was talking about when I told her that I was looking for hardboots. She was trying to get me to try on softboots and had never heard of a hard shelled boot...:eek::confused:...sigh. I probably know more about snowboards than her and I've been out of it for 15 years. It is actually more of a fashion boutique than a board shop ;). There was a snowboarder at the ski shop that was pretty helpful but didn't have any hardboot experience.

I know people are emphatic about wearing snug boots but is it worthwhile to go with a pretty snug 26.5 as opposed to a really snug 26 just because it is so cold here?

Home stretch! Boots and then I'm carving! ...As soon as the hill opens. :D

I tried on both in 26 and 26.5 mondopoint. I know that I wouldn't go any smaller than that but I'm not really sure about 26 or 26.5. I found that one pair of 26s felt bigger than another 26.5s. My toes were firmly touching the end in the 26's and just touching in the 26.5's. I did feel how much the boots pack even after wearing them five minutes. .

One of the people at the shop (she is actually the manger of the connected snowboard shop) was very emphatic that my toes shouldn't be touching because she said they will freeze.

Yep, do your best to judge the fit and go with it. You might try removing the liner, putting your bare foot in the shell, BARELY touch the toe then see how many fingers between your heel and the shell of the boot. This is NOT a real accurate test (due to the changes the insole make etc) however, it is one more bit of info to help you judge.

She is correct, your toe should not touch in any foot ware. In hardboots it becomes more of an issue as you rise and fall in the boot (flex) as you stand up, the toe moves toward the boot shell. Worst case is if you lean hard on the back of the boot upper. Drives your toe hard against the shell = bad.

Sounds like you are narrowing in. 26-26.5, buy one, cook the liners and go with it.

I'm ready for the season! And very excited! I have and Oxygen APX 165, TD 2 Bindings and just picked up some almost new Deeluxe 225T boots in 26m. Thanks for all the advice and help. Hopefully some day I can help someone else. Just give me a couple of week and I'll be looking for more gear! ;)

I'm ready for the season! And very excited! I have and Oxygen APX 165, TD 2 Bindings and just picked up some almost new Deeluxe 225T boots in 26m. Thanks for all the advice and help. Hopefully some day I can help someone else. Just give me a couple of week and I'll be looking for more gear! ;)

Love it when a plan comes together!! Diligence has paid off!

(Photo of your new found set up and at least one body part would be

cool) You know, proof, reward of you return to carving!! Carpet carver? Something we can all get our visual minds around?

Diligence is a zealous and careful nature in one's actions and carving. Decisive carving ethic. Budgeting one's speed; monitoring one's own alignment to guard against skidding. Putting forth full concentration in one's carving. Diligence is usually promoted in groomed places. It is one of the seven Holy Virtues.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my boots today so I set everything up! I'm excited!

The bindings have a 3 degree toe lift on front and 6 degree hell lift on the back. About 55 on the front and 50 on the back. I have since changed them to 6 lift on front and 3 lift on back. It seems to put less strain on the outside of my back knee when I am on my knees. What do people do to keep from straining their knees (Twisting) when they are sitting down/kneeling?...I know, I know...Don't sit down or kneel! :D

Oxygen APX 165, Deeluxe 225T m26 boots, TD2s. Thanks for all your help!

post-8425-141842291952_thumb.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

post-8425-141842291956_thumb.jpg

post-8425-141842291958_thumb.jpg

I called Sean Martin at Donek and ended up with a FreeCarve II 175 I weight 200lbs and it is not all muscle. The wider board lets you go with PJ style angles. It seemed long at first but after one full season I am really enjoying it.

Absolutely go with intec heels. The sad truth is that when you fall you can unclip and get up easily which saves energy for riding.

Regards, Bob