Note to New Members ×

Eating, clubbing, cell service? general Q's & tips from past trips?

Dave ESPI

I was tooling around on the Aspen chamber of commerce, and found some answers, but am still wondering a few.....

Of all the restaurants and stuff, where would someone with a discerning pallate go to enjoy food as a "must go" ?

Night clubs that play "techno" or some kind of a beat more than country western or top 40 or (heaven forbid) oldies ?

Cell phone service ? Verizon I hope works there?

any "AH-HA!" moments or pitfalls or tourist traps we should avoid or be aware of to not hit any snags for week we all are out there?

thanks for replies in advance.

We went to Poppycock's at 609 E. Cooper Ave in Aspen last year for breakfast, it was delicious and reasonably priced. They also opened early enough to go there before first tracks at Ajax. Also hit the diner-themed restaurant above the T-shirt shop (sorry, can't remember the name), it was good as well. Neither are fancy but good food for the money.

Cell cervice was great everywhere I tried, even with my Canadian plan.

Parking can be a challenge in Aspen, you either pay a lot or move your car every few hours. We went early to Buttermilk - I've never parked closer to any ski chalet before. Fin was the only one closer but he's a dirty cheater.

Here are basically my “regular” spots:

Bonnie’s lodge for Pancakes (or Breakfast in general - Ajax Mountain) :1luvu:

Big Wrap – Quick, good and inexpensive lunch :biggthump

39 Degrees Bar at Sky Hotel ;)

Matsuhisa sure the BEST sushi :eek:

Brexi, sure thing. Jim is there, reason alone to go! :)

Campo Di Fiori, am a regular there… :D

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Here's a few more answers:

Verizon works great in Aspen, and in most mountain areas in CO. I hear AT&T is a second...and not sure about the others.

For the night scene in Aspen, 39 Degrees (Sky Hotel Lounge) is amazing although a bit pricy, but worth if for a few cocktails.

The Double Dog is a fanstatic place for beers and happy hour when you are not hanging with the SES crew.

Belly Up will sometimes have really good music the week we are there, check their schedule. GREAT venue to see a live band.

Eric's bar is usually where everyone ends up towards the end of the night. Cool place, great atmosphere, and good music.

I haven't found a dancing place yet....Jim? Any help here?

I don't know that much about the bars in Snowmass as we are usually only there for apres ski.

In addition to all the restuarants, there's a place on Main Street called Main Street Bakery that has a ton of pastries to go, and also sit down affordable breakfast ($7-15).

Tourist Traps? hmmmm. not sure about that one either.

Parking is a real B in Aspen during the day. On the days where we are 1/2 Ajax and 1/2 Buttermilk, we usually park at Buttermilk and ride the bus to Ajax, then ride the bus back (wrap/burrito from Big Wrap in hand) to Buttemilk. At least, that's what everyone else does. Parking at Buttermilk is free and the bus is free during the day. The bus will also take you to all the resorts in the valley. Parking is also not free at Highlands, and Snowmass (unless you park in the outer lots and bus in).

Also, feel free to ask me anything either before or when you get there and I'd be happy to help! keep posting questions here!

Im wondering if there is somewhere I could rent a "Steadycam" and do some footage of SES with a 8mm format in digital?

I have a crappy digital camera, but want a bit better quality.

ALso since im staying @ Pokolodi Lodge, has anyone else stayed there before? what can I expect, Ive seen a lot of different reviews of it, but would rather hear about it from other SES people than places like ORBITZ or Expedia.

Also SNOWMOBILE RENTALS ?

I have a NYS safety course certificate, is there any Colorado rules to running a snowmobile anywhere?

Im wondering if there is somewhere I could rent a "Steadycam" and do some footage of SES with a 8mm format in digital?

I have a crappy digital camera, but want a bit better quality.

ALso since im staying @ Pokolodi Lodge, has anyone else stayed there before? what can I expect, Ive seen a lot of different reviews of it, but would rather hear about it from other SES people than places like ORBITZ or Expedia.

Also SNOWMOBILE RENTALS ?

I have a NYS safety course certificate, is there any Colorado rules to running a snowmobile anywhere?

Hey Dave - there is an AV place in Aspen that rents equipment, but you might be better looking in Glenwood or Denver if that's where you will be flying into. I think there's only one in Aspen, so you can google them (if they are still around,this was a few years ago).

Haven't heard anything about Pokolodi lodge, can't help you there.

I'm sure there are a ton of snowmobile rentals from Aspen, I know there's dog sledding. With all the gapers that rent snowmobiles here in Summit I doubt there's any rules for going out on your own, but you can probably check with the forest service.

Hi Dave,

I have stayed at the Pokolodi for the past 3 sessions and will be staying there again this year (if my knee heals in time). For the price, I have found it to be excellent on-hill accommodation if you can live with foot-traffic noise and older style decor and bedding. The hot-tub/pool is nice and big and the free daily continental breakfast is enough to keep you going until lunch (if you can ever get a seat in the morning). The wireless internet signal can be very weak depending on where your room is, but is usable. The nice thing is that every year it seems that there are more days scheduled at Snowmass than any of the other hills, so you are just a short walk down the access road to the Bomber tent!

Hope to see you there...

• 3 weeks later...

So looking at the schedule for Friday it says Aspen Mtn in the one column and Ajax Mtn for first trax. Is this the same Mtn? Is there an extra charge for first trax?

When you have to pay for parking at these mtns how much is it? Close enough to go change boards out?

I also want to shoot pics and vids and then leave them at the car or a locker if there is one available. Any place for secure board storage?

Trying to figure it out.

So looking at the schedule for Friday it says Aspen Mtn in the one column and Ajax Mtn for first trax. Is this the same Mtn? Is there an extra charge for first trax?

When you have to pay for parking at these mtns how much is it? Close enough to go change boards out?

I also want to shoot pics and vids and then leave them at the car or a locker if there is one available. Any place for secure board storage?

Trying to figure it out.

The schedule that is up now is from last year, note that it says 2009 on the top and says 2010 coming soon. I should have that up by week's end - at least most of it.

Aspen's main mountain in town is called Ajax. It used to be refered to as Aspen Mtn, and maybe I typed it in wrong. First tracks is free to all those who show up ON TIME. :)

Parking at Buttermilk is free. Parking does not exist at Ajax, you have to park in town or take the bus. Parking at Snowmass is free if you park in the outer lot and take the bus in. Parking at Highlands is not free, or you can take the bus. If you are staying in Aspen or Snowmass, taking the bus is the prefered option. It's free until 5, and it will take you to all the mountains and you don't haev to deal with parking.

I'm sure they all have secure board storage, but I will have to find out for you. Let me get back to you on that.

The schedule that is up now is from last year, note that it says 2009 on the top and says 2010 coming soon. I should have that up by week's end - at least most of it.

Aspen's main mountain in town is called Ajax. It used to be refered to as Aspen Mtn, and maybe I typed it in wrong. First tracks is free to all those who show up ON TIME. :)

Sorry I didn't realize the new schedule wasn't up yet. I will be patient.

It's free until 5, and it will take you to all the mountains and you don't haev to deal with parking.

I'm sure they all have secure board storage, but I will have to find out for you. Let me get back to you on that.

The bus from Aspen to Snowmas is always free, regardless of time. That changed last year.

Frankly, there is no reason to have a car in Aspen. There is no parking, and what little there is is expensive, time consuming, and you have a time limit on how long you can be there for.

As to shooting video, there is a board storage area at the base of each mountain, but I'm not sure if you have to pay or not. I'll check it out today. Not sure about the camera storage. I assume you could store it there as well, but like I said, I'll have to check.

4 weeks!

Fuel has graciously offered to give 10% off to SES participants! They are located at the base of the village in Snowmass. Jim Callen says "They are the best place for coffee and breakfast/lunch in snowmass, with a selevtion of burritos, bagels, smoothies and paninis. "

Check them out here:

http://snowmassvillage.com/uploads/Dine/Fuel.pdf

Visit them daily!