Note to New Members ×

Prior MFR vs. Donek Freeride vs. ???

mtm

Hello! First time poster long timer lurker.

To cut straight to the chase, I've been looking for a new free-ridey board that would excel at softboot carving (but still be good for everything else!). I have ridden a volkl coal for the last 5 or so years, but as my feet grew, the waist width got a little too narrow (disclaimer: I ride slightly duck). I will be keeping the Coal as a board that I plan to slap some plates on a bit later in the year to finally get the ball rolling on getting a hardboot setup.

I guess a bit of background skill-level wise, I am comfortable carving on blues but still have issues with controlling my speed on blacks (to throw out some CASI lingo, I'm comfortable with an intermediate carved turn but my goal is to become more proficient with an advanced carved turn and beyond: I'd say my main issues are with pressure control and timing and coordination but that's a discussion I'll save for a different thread).

I've been looking at the free-ride boards that are made by manufacturers that have a reputation for alpine boards (I figured that would be a good place to start for my tastes?) and am curious about the Prior MFR and the Donek Freeride. That being said I'd love to hear your guys' suggestions for other boards I should take a look into!

Welcome MTM,

I rode a Prior MFR 168 a bit last year on plates. It was a decent board with solid build. I'm not too big, so it felt a bit like a boat to me and my small feet. Counter to that statement, it also felt somewhat turny at low speeds. It was difficult to ride straight with plates on it--it very much wanted to turn heelside. That likely wouldn't be a problem with softies.

I can highly recommend the Steepwater boards (Steep-narrower, Plow-wider) that you can purchase at Wave Rave online. Big scr's. Fun boards. Great price. I liked carving on my Arbor A-Frame--but they're pricey and I've heard they've experienced some topsheet durability problems the last few years. Supposedly good carving freerides that I'd like to try--Rad Air Tanker, Venture and Never Summer.

You could also go the BX route too, which opens up even more possibitlies. Then there are crossover softie carvers like the Prior ATV and Donek Razor.

Good luck!

mtm welcome to BOL

Check out the tech section there is a ton of info on carving and equipment choices.

While I have no experience with the boards you mentioned I can say they are not carving specific boards. My guess is that the radius on the boards mentioned is some where around 9m.

You mentioned

I am comfortable carving on blues but still have issues

with controlling my speed on blacks

(to throw out some CASI lingo, I'm comfortable

with an intermediate carved turn but my goal is

to become more proficient with an advanced carved

turn and beyond: I'd say my main issues

are with pressure control and timing and

coordination but that's a discussion

I'll save for a different thread

My guess is that you are probably out riding the radius of the board. It doesn't take to much speed to out ride a 9 meter radius board on a blue trail let a lone a black. You'll have the same challenge on the MFR and Free-ride boards. I would suggest looking into the Donek Axxess, the Prior 4x4 or Coiler AM.

I'm not saying that you can't carve on free-ride boards, it's just very limiting. The boards are softer wider and can only hold so much edge or take so much flexing before you start blowing out of carves.

I would also suggest changing your angles from a duck stance, it is not conducive for carving. If you want to progress in carving look into getting a more carving friendly board. The boards I mentioned are all great in pow and crud, but are all stiffer than an free-ride board and will carve a lot better than a free-ride board.

Since you are in Toronto look into attending this seasons ECES (East Coast Expression Session). It's being held at Stratton, VT the first week in March. We'll have demo gear there you can try out.

Thanks for the quick replies! As tempting as it sounds to get a more carve-specific board right off the bat, I should probably clarify my intention with this board: this one would be my do-everything board (be it teaching, free-riding, spinning, buttering). Sometime in the winter I am planning on taking the plunge into a more serious carving board with a more aggressive stance and proper footwear, and the ECES would probably be a great opportunity for me to try some of that stuff out :biggthump. I'm just trying to find a free-ride board that would maximize my carving enjoyment while on it.

I guess it then depends on whether you want to go to the carver or freeride/freestyle end of the spectrum. You could probably do all the things you mentioned on some of the soft boot carvers--like the Donek Razor and Prior AWD (not 4WD)--though they definitely lean towards carving. Freerides like the Never summer Legacy and Premier, as well as the Unity Dominion, would be towards the other end--more versatile, but just respectable carvers. I really think Steepwater would be right in the middle and a nice compromise:

http://www.waveravesnowboardshop.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=SW09104!2575

With an 11.25 scr, you're less likely to over ride the sidecut, as Geoff mentioned. I don't know of any other freeride board that has a sidecut that big--even bigger than some of the hardboot AM boards. Its quite a nice ride in everything from icey, narrow trails to powder too! Plus, you can kick the S#$% out of it and it will never die.

Do a quick seach on softboot carving, you'll get tons of treads...

A quick take on your choices:

For bigger feet and carving in duck stance, board width is the major issue. Your Coal is already about 26, right? That almost kicks the MFR out of the picture, as it is about the same. Otherwise it is more of the allrounder then Donek Freeride. From other hand, Doneks come in the widths of 28, too (Sasquatch).

Tanker is nice and very all-roundish, however, I only rode the 192 wich is narrow.

Steepwater is great, narrowish too...

I use Elan Vertigo 168 for teaching, and allround fooling. It carves great too. It's still just below 26, so again, no good for you...

MTM,

I'm on my 2nd prior MFR (just got a new 176W this summer....) and love them for all purpose softie days. I've been able to lay the thing out all over ontario too.... It's great just about everywhere but the half pipe, and this just cause i feel like i've got to go twice as big to hoist the behemoth up over the lip.

+1 on the elan vertigo - i've got a few buddies on the titanal ones for BX and it became their go-to board for 80% of the season.

Also, I've got another 2-3 riding buddies (that also teach)that swear by the Neversummers for all mountain softie carving. Again - high speed hauling, not the first pick for the park/pipe though.

The freeride or incline series is a very carve oriented soft boot board. Given our new abilities with shape and flex adjustment, I'm sure I can make a board that will suite your needs very well. Just give me a call and we can discuss what you want out of the board.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned three Nideckers and haven't been too impressed. Their build quality was nice, and they looked great, but they lost their camber VERY quickly. (I couldn't even do jump turns on my second Proto. I'd push off the tail and it would just bend.) Plus, they have tiny scr's for their length--some of the smallest I've ever seen.

Actually, I see you have a Megalight. If you like the way it rides and how its held up--then more power to you. I owned the Platinum and it was a fun board to ride. But even for a 153, a 5 meter scr was a bit small.

I just ordered an Ultralight. I decided since I'm so used to my Megalight that I didn't want to learn how to ride all over again. My Megalight has never let me down. It has always been puzzling to me how it can be so soft flexing but yet so stable, maybe its because of the size (I have an XL).

I just ordered an Ultralight. I decided since I'm so used to my Megalight that I didn't want to learn how to ride all over again. My Megalight has never let me down. It has always been puzzling to me how it can be so soft flexing but yet so stable, maybe its because of the size (I have an XL).

If you don't mind me asking what is your height/weight? I just ordered the 163 XL and I'm 6'-2" at 205lbs. I was torn between the 163 and 167, but the guy at the factory talked me into the 163. I'm a little nervous, but I think it should be fine.

• 1 month later...

I received my Donek Incline (seems that Sean has renamed the entire free-ride lineup simply to "Incline" since the widths are now custom) around mid-December: 158 cm with a 26cm waist and a 9.5m sidecut, has the woodgrain-style topsheet from the new graphics lineup and looks incredible!

Finally got a chance to take it out after my finals on new years eve at Tremblant and have been very impressed with it so far: considering all the dark blue/black pitches were essentially like trying to carve a glacier, I didn't get a chance to really put it through a good comparison to my volkl coal as the last time I road that was a hero-snow day. Got it carving well on greens and moderate blues and it held its edge amazingly even on the large sheets of east-coast ice that day. The board skidded well and my sliding turns felt great on the steeper pitches despite the width being a little over a cm wider than I'm used to. All in all definitely a board I can see myself getting all-mountain versatility out of with a few tweaks and a couple more days to get used to the new stiffness and speed.

Next I need to start putting my hardboot setup together once I get some more disposable income, sooo stoked!

My note on the Incline- I asked Sean to make one that would handle TD1's (this was almost 8 years ago), carve like a demon and still handle powder, etc.

8 years later I'm selling off a substantial quiver and keeping the Incline. Not the best board I've ridden for anything, but certainly the best board I've ridden for EVERYTHING. Ice coast death cookies to bottomless Utah pow to NW chowder, it does it all.