Note to New Members ×

Welcome LRAD at G20!

utahcarver

a few people here love that stuff.

one guy was even talking about how he likes to go for ride alongs with cops.

Bob,

Yeaaaaahhhh, I grew up with some of those types. 'C' students who got picked on because of some cosmetic flaw they had in school. Hell, everyone is a target in high school and middle school. We all got picked on and beat-up for anything. Anyway, they all grew up to become cops or government bureaucrats who control who gets the money or attention.

The problem is that now they wear badges and guns and want to exact a price on the public for all of the problems they had growing up. I'm generalizing here and before I get flamed I'll readily admit that most law enforcement guys and ladies are great people. But, the job attracts a certain element to it. Add to this, the Federal government tasking local law enforcement with Federal Law (a violation of the US Constitution) and funding them to accomplish this (a CLEAR violation of Constitutional Law) only adds to my angst.

Stay Local. Local means local, not Federal. There's a reason why the Federal government was given limits as to States. I know that the age of the Constitution is coming to a close but, to those of us who still cling to it, it means just as much to me and you as it did to Washington and Jefferson. Limits. There were limits imposed on the Feds. Now, the limits are being removed by unseen foes. Why?

LRAD is US Military. Why is it being deployed in the US and used against the US citizenry?

Mark

LRAD is US Military. Why is it being deployed in the US and used against the US citizenry?

LRAD is American Technology Corporation, and if you have the bucks you could buy one too! There's even a link to request a demo. i don't see this as military turning on its citizens.

i guess i'd be more concerned over a millimeter wave weapon which is truly military application.

LRAD is American Technology Corporation, and if you have the bucks you could buy one too! There's even a link to request a demo. i don't see this as military turning on its citizens.

i guess i'd be more concerned over a millimeter wave weapon which is truly military application.

B: I misspoke earlier as you have pointed out. I should have said that LRAD is is being used by the [uS] military [on the streets of Pittsburgh]. As to whether this is or is not a case of military turning on its citizens, it should concern all of us that this is becoming more common place across the US.

Maybe it's just the Canadian in me, but I'd rather be hit with a blast from an LRAD than getting shot because some idiot at the front of the 'peaceful' gathering of people threw a molotov cocktail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

If someone abuses it, then that's a problem. But simply having it is no different than a citizen having a gun - it's there if circumstances warrant it. Simply having an LRAD or a gun does not make one a criminal or an abuser of power.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja5VocMwnXI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja5VocMwnXI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

We haven't seen anything yet. Look at when the RNC was in St Paul, now this..... These big "meetings" and the protests around them will only get worse until we see something like Kent State again.

I think technology like this will help so these things do not escalate, but I think it is only a matter of time.

Just in case we forgot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings